Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:51 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

Valley Native raised a good point. There is a difference between being a safe driver versus a stupid one. We also have several clueless drivers who don't understand traffic laws or basic etiquette and make it difficult for everyone on the roads. Here are examples

Clueless Driver traits.

(1) Making a complete stop at a GREEN light to make a right turn.
(2) Refuses to make a right turn on red despite no oncoming traffic or signs banning right turns on red.
(3) Sitting at the light for nearly 20 seconds before realizing the light is green
(4) Someone who speeds up and prevents you from coming into their lane when you signal. Yeah, they were driving like slow pokes but because you want to get into their lane, they suddenly speed up and drive at a normal speed
(5) The car that decides to keep a 3 car length gap during rush hour when everyone else is bumper to bumper
(6) They make a complete stop to make a right turn into a strip mall or other shopping complex instead of slowing down and then turning
(7) Not yielding to oncoming traffic coming off the freeway ramp. Do they think the Yield sign is Spanish for something else?
(8) The car in the left lane driving slow and refusing to change lanes despite several cars circling around them and not signaling out of protest
(9) The person who cuts you off hoping you will switch into the right lane so that they can make a left turn into your lane. Instead of waiting, they decided to stick their car out hoping you will brake or switch lanes.
(10) The person who misses several green lights on the merging lane to the freeway during traffic particularly morning traffic. Instead of watching the light carefully and then going when it turns green. They miss their turn and then it turns red. They usually miss one or two cycles before they go which makes everyone else wait longer to get onto the freeway.

BONUS: The person who needs an empty lane with no oncoming traffic before making a left turn. Even if the oncoming traffic is a mile away, that's not good enough for them. You could have drove around them and made that turn and were tempted to do so because that's how much time they had to make a safe left turn.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-21-2009 at 02:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 02:29 AM

27 posts, read 82,204 times
Default Arizona drivers

I don't know if the drivers here orginated somewhere else and bring their bad habits with them but this is how I see driving here....always speeding, driving in left lane for no reason other than I can, tailgating, almost drafting like nascar, passing on the right, stop sign and red light running, talking on cell phone, (is there a law here that requires you to use phone only when driving?), eating while doing 80 mph, no signaling, zigzaging through heavy traffic just to gain a few feet, gun toting and not afraid to shoot, hitting the brakes when approaching photo speed traps even when driving UNDER the speed limit, hitting the brakes everytime they see a car on the side of the road, no insurance, (I've read 1 in 6 arizona drivers does NOT have any insurance), rude, inconsiderate, (this is MY road how dare you drive on it), broken windshield, pickup truck driving, pull out in front of (from side steets) MORONS!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:55 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I gave my wife my SUV because she drives slower than I do and when she was driving our car, she would get bullied on the freeway. Since she has had the SUV, they don't mess with her. . ..

Have you also noticed that the worst offenders are often guys with big trucks? And it's often the bigger the truck the worse the driver. I swear I've seen big monster trucks and Hummers going 80-90 on the freeway! It's as if they have to let you know that just because their vehicle is big, it's not slow. That was the only nice thing about 4 dollar gas, the number of big trucks on the roads were less visible and/or driving within the speed limit. Yeah, when I see that I too wish there were more cops around because that would be an easy person to pull over.
I don't doubt one bit what you are saying about your wife and the SUV, (I've had the same "bullied" feeling driving the small government car I take on road trips for work) but I've also seen SUV drivers who fit in with the monster trucks and Hummers you describe. They drive those Tahoes and Expeditions and [insert model of your choice here] like they own the road.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:58 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I thought it was worse in California. I guess it's just gotten bad all over, these days.
That's a myth. Maybe parts of L.A it's bad, but for the most part everyone drives the speed limit in fear of being caught by CHP.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:17 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,414,174 times
Talking Lol

LOL if you want to see aggressive driving try driving here in Boston on a regular basis

traffic rules don't apply here :-)

I've seen people drive down a one way street the opposite direction

Old 04-21-2009, 05:16 PM

61 posts, read 219,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I cannot believe how many people I see running red lights!
And then there are those folks that doze off and need to be "nudged" 30 seconds after the light turns green.

Go figure.

-Ric

Old 04-21-2009, 05:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicT View Post
And then there are those folks that doze off and need to be "nudged" 30 seconds after the light turns green.

Go figure.

-Ric
Yeah, I hate that too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area