Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 10,881 times

Advertisements

Any hints about what it is like in Sun City AZ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2006, 07:39 PM

55 posts, read 412,180 times
Peggy, I have a friend who is living there now and absolutely loves it and the area. We are moving out that way in June. When are you moving out? Will you be living in a community or a retirement community?

Old 03-13-2006, 09:25 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,017,880 times
We visited a few years ago. Area is very nice. Del Webb built much of that area, and his firm is still building in that area, and many more.

I recall driving past the original Sun City. Further out he built Sun City West. When we visited (Labor Day 2003) he was building Sun City Grand in Surprise, AZ, which is where we toured. Now I see from his website they are building Sun City Festival, probably even further out. Nice thing about this is that the whole area around these places will be all new, no old junky areas to detract in any way. Their website is: http://www.delwebb.com/Default.aspx (broken link)

We loved their houses, except they didn't have basements which makes it hard to do model railroading. We didn't care all that much for the heat, so we ended up in Colorado Springs, and we love it.

I'm hoping your home buying is still open to making choices. We'd love to know you visited the newest places as they are simply great. We thought it was so cool to ride around in golf carts on the city streets.

Let us know how you do.
Thanks!
s/Mike

Old 03-28-2006, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 10,862 times
Good morning. This is my 1st visit to this site-found it while looking for something else, and your inquiry caught my eye. My parents moved to Sun City back in 1971 from the Boston area, and they never regretted it. They made some wonderful friendships with the neighbors on their street, and after all 4 of the husbands passed away, the 4 women took trips together all over the world, as well as weekly dinners out. There is really a lot to do if you are interested, both in Sun City and in the Phx area also. In fact, much more to do now than when they moved there. Sun City has got to be the cleanest city anywhere, thanks to all the volunteers. Though my parents are gone now I still go there to visit 1 of those ladies. I followed my parents out here in 1974 and I currently live in Prescott Valley, though my sons live in the Mesa area. The summer heat is an adjustment, but you learn to do things early in the morn or late in the evening, and the weather the rest of the year makes up for it. Only a few humid days, during the monsoons in summer, and no snow to shovel in the winter. I think you will be happey you made the move.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:50 AM

702 posts, read 3,151,584 times
That's how it goes. The husbands die and the wifes have a ball!

Old 06-21-2006, 07:19 PM

10 posts, read 64,341 times
Default The orginal Sun City is the best

The homes are about 45 years old, there are no fences blocking neighbors views. Many of these homes are being remodeled. Age requirement is 55 (I think) and no school taxes. Now Sun City West has more in taxes and is about to lower the age restrictions. Sun City Grande is very pretty, all homes look alike, all clones, all very expensive younger residents. Depends on what you're seeking. Arizona seems to like the new clone looks, I like the traditional look so I opt for Sun City.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:37 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,584 times
Sun City is HOT! We have friends who live there because they like the retirement city life style but they stay inside during the summer. Every time we visit in the summer, we don't see anyone outside. Winter is a different story completely. It is heaven in winter!

Old 09-01-2006, 12:15 AM

4 posts, read 26,408 times
Default Moving to Sun City, AZ

Well lets put it this way - Sun City is dying - almost every street has at least 5 houses for sale on them. They County contract to do repairs on the roads, and landscaping has expired and the the nice medians with grass and trees are getting ready to be pulled out to put in MORE rocks and MORE cacti. Most of the people in Sun City are angry and pretty rude in stores and on the road. The homes are 50+ years old and there are a lot of empty ones. At least almost all of them were built with brick or adobe so at least they stood up well. Police protection is done by Maricopa County Sheriff Office and response times can be slow (Don't even bother asking about the Posse, they can't do anything at all and most times are just in the way) Fire protection is done by Sun City Fire Department, a PROFESSIONAL department with Paramedics on all of the apparatus, but they contract with a private ambulance to provide transport.

Sun City West is a newer (late 70's) community and the people there are more active and friendly. Pretty much the same landscaping and house styles as Del Webb built Sun City West also. People in Sun City West are nicer and friendlier. (Speaking from FACTS as I have worked in both Sun City and Sun City West). The homes are newer, but the homes in phase 2/3 are pretty cheaply built out of wood studs with styrofoam over that and then chicken wire over that and then a light coat of stucco. They tried a few areas with METAL studs but found that they were not popular and had problems with that. The Rec centers (three of them) are pretty nice and have almost any craft, intrest you could want to do. Police protection is done by Maricopa County Sheriff Office and response times can be slow (Don't even bother asking about the Posse, they can't do anything at all and most times are just in the way) Fire protection is done by Sun City West Fire Department, a PROFESSIONAL department with Paramedics on all of the apparatus and they have their own ambulances to provide transport.

Sun City Grand is the newest of the Sun Cities communities and also the most expensive. Homes are between 1 to 7 years old. People in Sun City Grand vary between snobby to very friendly. Police protection is done by Surprise Police Department. Fire protection is done by Surprise Fire Department, a PROFESSIONAL department with Paramedics on most of the apparatus, response times to Sun City Grand can be slow and they contract with a private ambulance company for transport.

Hope this helped and feel free to ask more questions and for those that will/are going to flame me, no problem, I spoke FACTS

Old 12-19-2006, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 10,847 times
Thumbs up REAL Sun City

My parents have lived in Sun City for 28 years. They could afford to move anywhere, but fell in love with the quality of the homes, the friendliness of the people, availability of services and the weather. Over the years, I visited MANY times, every month of the year, and found myself also falling in love with the place.

Yes, there was a 3 year sales boom where house prices soared, and everyone piled on to make a profit. That has pretty much slowed down, but the town is still GREAT!!

Last year I moved to Sun City and joined the world famous Sun City Posse. Anywhere you go you will find people that have to ridicule people that are to interested in helping their neighbors, think positively, and love life. I love assisting the people of Sun City, no matter if it involves rescuing a cat from a tree, keeping vacation watch over a snowbird's home or taking fingerprints at a crime scene. WE know the residents appreciate the work we do and the 1 to 6 minute response time.

Come, enjoy, get involved... it's a GREAT PLACE TO LIVE!!!

Sally Morgan

Old 12-20-2006, 05:57 PM

228 posts, read 818,236 times
My in-laws lived in the original Sun City development for over thirty years and never regretted the move from Ohio. I think the key to enjoying the community is the active lifestyle amenities that Del Webb pioneered. There's something to do for practically everyone. I would look elsewhere if your plans are not to be active in retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area