Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:05 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,514,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
I am planning to buy a home in Phoenix this year, but it may be a while before I can move. I don't really want to rent out my new home. I don't have the money to live in a gated community. How do you keep your property safe when you are so far away.
It might be best, and you might get more responses, if you started your own thread to ask this question.

First, some gated communities, depending on the sort of house you are looking for and your price range, are not that expensive. Second, if you leave it vacant, it affects your homeowner's insurance (I think the time frame is 6 months vacant). Being an absentee landlord is problematic in its own right, so I understand not wanting to rent it out.

You won't know your neighbors, so asking them is a bit tricky. Perhaps there are companies that will provide some sort of service for you that will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:56 AM

39,125 posts, read 51,388,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
I am planning to buy a home in Phoenix this year, but it may be a while before I can move. I don't really want to rent out my new home. I don't have the money to live in a gated community. How do you keep your property safe when you are so far away.
Buy in a good area with established residents - not some new and churning subdivision. There are several homes in my area that are seasonal. We neighbors know each other and keep an eye out, but that is probably not something that you will be able to do if you just buy and let it sit. I would be more worried about some damage like roof tiles getting blown off in monsoon storm, pipes bursting, etc. You can't just turn off the water because the plants will die and any "safe" area is going to have an HOA that will cite you for that. You will also need to hire a landscaping company because the weeds and dead plants will give you away. I have no idea how you deal with the junk that people put on your doors or leave in your driveway that says "no one home" except relying on your neighbors. Maybe one of the realtors can tell you what they do with empty listings to keep up the curb appeal.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:40 PM

130 posts, read 536,765 times
Hi, guys, well a lot of you have said some of the thing we do do. For one, we ARE in a new subdivision. AND, we have wonderful neighbors who DO look after us. We have quite a few people in our neighborhood in the same position. Our lady across the street, wonderful woman, removes any and all notices that get put on the door or outside. In New York this just doesn't happen so that was something new for us. Here we live in an area that doesn't permit anyone from selling or soliciting anything! Also, like one person said, we have a landscaping man, referred to us by one of the lovely people on this board, as a matter of fact, that we pay to come and weed, trim and check on the gardens of which we have an extensive both front and back. We also have had a pool put in our yard, and so we have a pool boy from Anthem who comes and checks on that as well. People have gone above and beyond, and another reason why I am so fond of the "community" I have experienced here in Arizona. In New York, you could die in your home and lay there for 6 months and your neighbors wouldn't even know. We also leave our air conditioning on, as well as, our inground sprinkler system. We have fire sprinklers that came with the house should something go awry there. Our building manager and our women who sell the houses in the model, also know from when we bought the house, when we are there and when we are not. We have worked out an agreement with the Post Office as well and they leave a paper in our box that when we return, we simply remove the paper, and the postman knows we are there. There are also computer programs that we have that allow us to access the house from a distance. It really was more easy then my husband and I imagined it would be. When we are there, we notify our telephone company and they forward our phone calls to the Arizona house so no one calling even knows that they have reached an Arizona area. It is expensive to have all these extra things but we feel it is worth it. We were not the first, as we have quite a few relatives and friends who have second homes and they kind of told us what to do and what not to. You also learn from your mistakes. First year we left in the spring, we had a bunch of candles in places, that even with airconditioning didn't make it, LOL. Also, I left baking chocolate morsels in the pantry which also melted. But live and learn, now all goes into the freezer when we leave. We try and return like once every 6 weeks or so for little 4 or 7 day visits when possible to check on things. Hope that helped with anyone who is considering such an adventure!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:43 PM

130 posts, read 536,765 times
Also, somebody made a comment that it might affect your homeowners insurance. We found quite the contrary, we were able to get multiple savings for things like our cable bill, APS, etc. for being half timers, as well as, our homeowners insurance. Plus, the home there in Arizona costs us about 1/4 of what the NY home costs. It is truly amazing, to see the costs of things in Arizona vs. New York. I know a lot of people complain that Arizona's bills are high, they would never then be able to make it in New York. The only bill I see that is comparable is the Cablevision bill (NY) vs. the Cox bill. They are within one or two dollars of each other. All others are like 1/4 the price!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:49 PM

26 posts, read 105,571 times
Been living in NY (married with 3 children) for the past 2 years...on Long Island.

Moving back to AZ in 1.5 months. Wife and I cannot wait to get back. To each his own, but it's the place we truly love. We love the weather, the shopping, the beauty, and the pace of life (especially when compared to NY and Long Island!!).

Hello to all the New Yorkers heading to AZ!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:57 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,514,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Also, somebody made a comment that it might affect your homeowners insurance. We found quite the contrary, we were able to get multiple savings for things like our cable bill, APS, etc. for being half timers, as well as, our homeowners insurance.
Perhaps they have "snowbird" plans. How many months a year are you here? It makes sense that APS and cable would have such plans and be cheaper... they are used to snowbirds, and there is no risk to them in your being gone like there is with homeowner's insurance with no one there to watch the home.

I have just always heard that what they define as a "vacant" home is more expensive to insure. A Google search of insurance vacant home sure turns up a lot of info to that effect.

The definition of "vacant" may be the key.

This thread is now officially way off topic!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:58 PM

702 posts, read 2,298,899 times
To the OP: I was the same way in the late 90s. I had lived in Tucson for 3 years and regretfully decided to move for family reasons. To OHIO. I was so homesick for the desert, started decorating my house SW style, looked at old pictures, subscribed to Phoenix magazine, etc. Once I saw a parked car with AZ license plates in Ohio and waited for the people to return so I could talk to them and ask them what the * they were doing here. After a year I realized I had made a mistake, and spent the next year saving every penny to move back - and I did (to Phx instead of Tucson).

However, I will add I only lasted three years in Phx. It's big. Too big. Just getting around was a nightmare. I lived in N. Phx and to go visit a friend in Mesa took over an hour (12 miles or so). It's extremely hot. I've since moved elsewhere in the SW with a slower pace of life and similar desert beauty.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:31 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,199,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
To the OP: I was the same way in the late 90s. I had lived in Tucson for 3 years and regretfully decided to move for family reasons. To OHIO. I was so homesick for the desert, started decorating my house SW style, looked at old pictures, subscribed to Phoenix magazine, etc. Once I saw a parked car with AZ license plates in Ohio and waited for the people to return so I could talk to them and ask them what the * they were doing here. After a year I realized I had made a mistake, and spent the next year saving every penny to move back - and I did (to Phx instead of Tucson).

However, I will add I only lasted three years in Phx. It's big. Too big. Just getting around was a nightmare. I lived in N. Phx and to go visit a friend in Mesa took over an hour (12 miles or so). It's extremely hot. I've since moved elsewhere in the SW with a slower pace of life and similar desert beauty.
And you encapsulated my one big gripe about the Phx area----------it is indeed too big now. I have been living on and off here since 1990 and have seen the changes.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:48 AM

39,125 posts, read 51,388,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And you encapsulated my one big gripe about the Phx area----------it is indeed too big now. I have been living on and off here since 1990 and have seen the changes.
I agree but have managed to rationalize that away to some extent by thinking we really don't live in much but our own little corner of the metro. I have never been to many parts of this city built in the last 10 years. I pretty much never go east of the 101 or north of Camelback. There's no need. The city is like a rubber stamp that has been pressed down over and over. The same shops and restaurants and housing mixes and styles are repeated over and over in each area. Who needs Gilbert? Scottsdale? Mesa? Tempe? There is nothing there I want that I can't get right down the street.

The real hassle comes in getting out of this place. We are always telling newbies how great it is to be able to get away for some cool weather, snow, etc, but rarely mention what a hassle that has become with traffic jams for miles on the roads leaving town. That is what I hate. I tolerate it because my family situation dictates living in a place relatively free of bigotry and Phoenix is one the few places I have found in the US that meets that criterion at a price I can afford.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:05 AM

385 posts, read 1,263,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Perhaps they have "snowbird" plans. How many months a year are you here? It makes sense that APS and cable would have such plans and be cheaper... they are used to snowbirds, and there is no risk to them in your being gone like there is with homeowner's insurance with no one there to watch the home.

I have just always heard that what they define as a "vacant" home is more expensive to insure. A Google search of insurance vacant home sure turns up a lot of info to that effect.

The definition of "vacant" may be the key.

This thread is now officially way off topic!
I've heard being gone for more than 60 days can negate coverage. Would like to know the facts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area