Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:06 AM

Location: D-town (technically a suburb, cause "and the" said so)
90 posts, read 207,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
I live half of the time, well almost half of the time in New York (some would refer to me as a snowbird, I would guess) and the other half of the time in Arizona. Since my return to NY, I can't stop thinking and crying, I will admit, on how much I love it out there and wish, with all my heart, that I could be there full time. I have a giant saguaro with a bright blue sky on my computer desktop, and flip through my file of "Arizona photos" daily. I miss my "other home" more than I can say. That is not to be at the moment due to work, but I am working on it ;-) I believe that everyone has what they deem as their "place to be in the world" which makes their heart flutter with excitement. For me, Arizona is it. I don't think some of you realize just what a paradise you live in with your blue skies, almost perfect weather (and I say this for your sakes, not mine, as I LOVE the heat and above 100 degree weather, but I will concede that it is not for everyone), clean roads, fountains everywhere, flowers everywhere, unbelievable beautiful nature and less expensive bills all the way around then a lot of bigger cities on the East Coast. Yes, we do have a lot of chain this and chain that, and the traffic cameras do suck (but that is a whole other story). But I believe a person gets out what they make of a place and situation. If you want to have friends, then go out, give of yourself and volunteer, make friends. If you don't like so much brown in your landscape, by all means, plant things with color. Trouble with your HOA's, then get involved and see what can be done to make it better. Stop complaining and for once take a look around at the positive things you DO have, I for one, would give anything to be back on the road, heading West!!!!!!!!! Just my two cents
Why don't you take some of your own advice and think about all the positive things you have in NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,225,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st8champ90 View Post
Why don't you take some of your own advice and think about all the positive things you have in NY?
Not to trash New York, but Arizona and where I live (Western New York), mine as well be different planets.

Road conditions, weather, just to name a few. It is an absolute joy to drive around Phoenix and drive on smooth roads. Buffalo is like driving around a third world country.

The only thing I will miss about Buffalo is the food, the people, and the hockey.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:15 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,097,531 times
Your post isn't really that different then all the ones we get from people in the cold and wet states who want to come out here. For that matter it isn't that different from the ones I post about moving to MA from here. Putting people down who are not as happy with Phoenix as you are to make yourself feel good about loving Phoenix is exactly the same crap you profess to not express. You just hate NY and want to move here. Are you not worried about offending people from NY that live here right now and long to go back to NY? There are many!
I really don't get why you couldn't just say you wanted to move here without the "whining" about people who don't like it here? What is your point? If you love it here great, move here, a lot of people do and this is really the majority of our post, the people who want to come here. The few that want to move out of here or that have issues with Phoenix are the minority. So relax and just plan your move. Believe it or not you are just exactly like everyone else. I look at pictures of Cape Cod, put pics of oceans and beaches around and get fresh seafood shipped to my home in Phoenix, it doesn't mean I hate Phoenix, I just want to move to Cape Cod. No need to be so high and mighty, really!
Everyone has their own utopia, just because some didn't pic the desert doesn't mean anything but theirs isn't the same utopia as yours. Would you really want it to be? Think about it!
One could say you don't realize what you have in NY as well. No difference, really.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:39 AM

130 posts, read 536,765 times
Ok, Twiggy, not so sure why you are so defensive. I just wanted to give a positive post about Phoenix, among a lot I read, like yours, that don't like it so much. A lot of the people who come on these boards are doing so for advice on moving. I was just sitting in three weeks of rain, looking at my photos of my "other home" and missing it. Didn't mean to upset you. Gosh, guess you just pointed out why I wrote it in the first place. And, I could say the same thing about you, so move to Cape Cod and stop belly aching about it then, right?

Old 05-10-2009, 12:44 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,097,531 times
I don't belly ache about it, thats my point. I don't go on and insult people from Cape Cod who don't like it just to post "I do like it." You don't have to cut others down to make your point. I never post I don't like Phoenix, you must not read many of my post. I do not say bad things about Phoenix, thats what I mean. Lumping people into one giant "don't like Phoenix" person to cut down isn't going to ease your move. A lot of people who point out things they have trouble with here don't hate Phoenix either. Don't be so general, take a little more time to really read peoples post. Your ignorance just turns people off.
People who already live here have questions about it. Like scorpions, the heat, air conditioners, crime, it doesn't mean they hate Phoenix, they just live here now and are looking for answers or others that share their concerns. If you have questions about moving then ask, if you just want to whine about those of us saying anything but "Phoenix is Oz" then expect post like mine! I'm always glad to give them! Anyone would understand you not liking the rain, and clouds, understandable that you would want to move here. Why isn't it just as understandable that someone who likes other things this state doesn't offer them to want to move elsewhere?
It seems to me your post should have read: Everyone should want to move to where I find to be the best place in the country! If you don't then you're stupid, or a whiner! At least get to the point. What do you expect with a post like that?
And your assumption about me and my opinion of this state, which is wrong, might answer your question of "why I am so defensive?" This thread is not just for people who are moving here, this should answer your other question! Oh, and I didn't tell you to just "move here and shut up" like you just told me, don't skim my post then reply like that. I said "So relax and just plan your move", I unlike you understand that it takes time and planning to make a move across this country, it can take a while, and you really start focussing on where you want to be. If you would have left out " Stop complaining and for once take a look around at the positive things you DO have, I for one, would give anything to be back on the road, heading West!!!!!!!!! , I would have totally agreed with you and how you felt. But instead you had to go about it in a bad way, and you have a right to do that if you please, but don't act surprised about post like mine! It seems thats what you were looking for anyway, why else would you write this?

"Stop complaining and for once take a look around at the positive things you DO have, I for one, would give anything to be back on the road, heading East!!!!!!!! You live in the most popular state in the United States of America! If you're not happy there, where on earth are you going to find happiness? See, these kinds of post are offensive, and I would never say this to someone without expecting a mouthful. So you just got my mouthful!

Last edited by twiggy; 05-10-2009 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 12:58 PM

Location: D-town (technically a suburb, cause "and the" said so)
90 posts, read 207,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
Not to trash New York, but Arizona and where I live (Western New York), mine as well be different planets.

Road conditions, weather, just to name a few. It is an absolute joy to drive around Phoenix and drive on smooth roads. Buffalo is like driving around a third world country.

The only thing I will miss about Buffalo is the food, the people, and the hockey.
To each his own, I guess. But for me, road conditions and weather are not nearly as important as people.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:09 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,199,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st8champ90 View Post
To each his own, I guess. But for me, road conditions and weather are not nearly as important as people.
True that.

Although: when one has both skanky weather and skanky people to deal with..............no thank you.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:19 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,036,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
I live half of the time, well almost half of the time in New York (some would refer to me as a snowbird, I would guess) and the other half of the time in Arizona. Since my return to NY, I can't stop thinking and crying, I will admit, on how much I love it out there and wish, with all my heart, that I could be there full time. I have a giant saguaro with a bright blue sky on my computer desktop, and flip through my file of "Arizona photos" daily. I miss my "other home" more than I can say. That is not to be at the moment due to work, but I am working on it ;-) I believe that everyone has what they deem as their "place to be in the world" which makes their heart flutter with excitement. For me, Arizona is it. I don't think some of you realize just what a paradise you live in with your blue skies, almost perfect weather (and I say this for your sakes, not mine, as I LOVE the heat and above 100 degree weather, but I will concede that it is not for everyone), clean roads, fountains everywhere, flowers everywhere, unbelievable beautiful nature and less expensive bills all the way around then a lot of bigger cities on the East Coast. Yes, we do have a lot of chain this and chain that, and the traffic cameras do suck (but that is a whole other story). But I believe a person gets out what they make of a place and situation. If you want to have friends, then go out, give of yourself and volunteer, make friends. If you don't like so much brown in your landscape, by all means, plant things with color. Trouble with your HOA's, then get involved and see what can be done to make it better. Stop complaining and for once take a look around at the positive things you DO have, I for one, would give anything to be back on the road, heading West!!!!!!!!! Just my two cents
Just keep up the positive attitude and I know you will be able to move here full time. We need people like you here!

Old 05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,124,231 times
I will never move away.

Five years in Phoenix now, so I'm officially not a "Cherry in the Valley".

My God, I've had so much fun here....

Old 05-10-2009, 05:47 PM

130 posts, read 536,765 times
First off, Twiggy, just to clarify, I don't believe I went on the Phoenix boards to insult people from Phoenix, as a matter of fact, from the feedback I have gotten privately, I would say I did just the opposite. I said I was jealous of everyone who was out there and wished I could be there as well. That I LOVE PHOENIX. I didn't go on the New York boards and trash New York. I would never do that. It is my personal experience about New York that I mentioned. That is all. There are tons of skiers who love snow, NYC, etc. I too, love New York when I am at the ocean, going to a show on Broadway, etc., unfortunately, 5 months of nice weather and 7 months of crummy weather, don't cut it. People on the whole who live on Long Island or NYC, stay to themselves, and get labeled "cold". That is not just my opinion, that is the opinion of tons of things written about New York. If you don't like mingling and are not the friendly type of person, then you would like the East Coast. My married daughter lives in Boston for many years and the experience is basically the same there. If you do any googling of 9/11, you will find it written that during that horrendous time, it became a different city. People met each other's eyes, they talked on the streets, they needed to bond. Many hoped this would change NY for the long haul, but that was not to be. Things eventually resumed to the way they were pre-9/11. That is not to say that that type of life is for everyone. Some people don't want people saying hello to them in every store, etc., my teenage daughter for one. When she comes to my new house, she laughs and says I can't take how they address us by our name in Safeway and say hi New Yorkers to us in Ulta as they know our story there, or stop and ask about our accents. I for one, love it. I love how the neighbors are outside and say hi, come over and talk to me and hubby in the driveway, invite us out to grab a bite to eat. In 30 years living on LI, I can say I have never ate in a restaurant with my neighbors. Not that I wouldn't have, it's just that they are not like that. Now apparently not everyone has the same experiences where they live both in New York or in Phoenix. But that has been my experience and that of my sister in law who also came from Queens and then moved to Scottsdale, some 20 years ago. Sorry, but JMHO, your answers show me you are definitely of an East Coast mentality, as did a lot of opinions about you that I received privately. I didn't come on this chat board to fight and so this will be my last response to this. I was just trying to give a positive post about the place. Next time, I will reconsider coming on here to discuss things if this is the way it is, sorry I was mistaken, I thought it was a place to answer questions, share ideas, make friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area