Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:09 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,069,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Julios is by far the best, there is one near PV mall on Tatum, and one in scottsdale on Indian School near Miller I believe.
this place is owned by the daughter of Julio Garcia, who started the famous Garcia's decades ago in Phoenix...they sold out years ago and now you see all those corporate Garcia's across the nation....the daughter started her own place soon after....

I think the old original Garcia's is on 35th Avenue...is it still around?....after the big sellout, they did keep that one in their private hands...may still have it......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 12:10 PM

131 posts, read 533,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
this place is owned by the daughter of Julio Garcia, who started the famous Garcia's decades ago in Phoenix...they sold out years ago and now you see all those corporate Garcia's across the nation....the daughter started her own place soon after....

I think the old original Garcia's is on 35th Avenue...is it still around?....after the big sellout, they did keep that one in their private hands...may still have it......
Thank you. This sounds like it might be my first stop. Thanks

Old 06-20-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losercore View Post
Thank you. This sounds like it might be my first stop. Thanks
loser....

which one?...Julio's or Garcia's?....I ask because they are very different from each other....the two Julio's mentioned by Karma up above are very good and local....I think one or both may also be called Julio's Too, or that may be their take-out section....the old Garcia's on 35th Ave may not still be open or may've been sold...I don't know.....and the big Garcia's nationwide chain should, of course, be avoided entirely

Old 06-20-2009, 01:17 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,095,579 times
Dang.

Dined at Carlsbad Tavern in Snottsdale. S'posed to be authentic New Mexican fare. Not even close. Good atmosphere though, and their Margaritas were pretty darn good. I give their salsa a B-.

I like the Sonoran, Baja, and Tex Mex fare, but the Las Cruces, NM food is my favorite.

Nellie's, Days hamburgers, Roberto's et al are missed greatly in this house.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:42 PM

131 posts, read 533,603 times
Quote:
loser....

which one?...Julio's or Garcia's?....I ask because they are very different from each other....the two Julio's mentioned by Karma up above are very good and local....I think one or both may also be called Julio's Too, or that may be their take-out section....the old Garcia's on 35th Ave may not still be open or may've been sold...I don't know.....and the big Garcia's nationwide chain should, of course, be avoided entirely
I was reffering to Julio's. That sounds like a good place for real stuff. Like I said the only Mexican I have had since I got here is Macaya's and that is just alright. it's more atmosphere than good food.

I think we will try it tonight. Thanks

Old 06-21-2009, 12:36 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,422,157 times
Quote:
loser....

Julios Too is the take-out only, it's right by my work actually, I eat there a few times a week, it's on Camelback.

The other Jilios is called Don Julios and it's on Indian School, just down the road.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:46 PM

and there's still the Julio's by PV Mall?...all three are part of the same owner?....thanks

Old 06-22-2009, 12:31 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,422,157 times
Quote:
and there's still the Julio's by PV Mall?...all three are part of the same owner?....thanks
I am not sure about the one by PV mall, but I know the ones in Scottsdale near Old Town are by the owner.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,034,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losercore View Post
Alright so be away from good mexican food for two years has taken its toll. I am staying in Tempe and so far Macaya's is great and I love the atmosphere also.

Please tell what your favorite spots are...I am eager for some real, good mexican food.

Thanks
My very fav is the torta place on 7th street south of Hatcher on the west side. Used to be called La Pressa Torta...changed the name but the food is still sublime. It's grilled food, not the gloppy Sonoran style (which I like). Best Mexican in Phx. My, it is good. Try the shrimp tacos with a limon slushie drink. Fan-tab-u-lous.

For Sonoran comfort food...I like Rositas on McDowell. Great cheese crisp old school style. And love the vibe there.

Still...can't beat Carolina's! With flys down south, probably better food, without flys up north but provides reading material. Great places, both.

Garcias on 35th is a shadow of it's old self, but if you find yourself over there, a nice experience.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:15 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,727,244 times
Hey Loser,

Lunch at La Canasta Capitolio near the state capital is good. The food was good. Its located behind the garage at next the Human Services building. As you said Macayos is ok but its more atmosphere. Raliberto's on Central and Camelback is good. Is it still there? I also like Filibertos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area