Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:47 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,471,701 times

Advertisements

Baiz is on 20th St. just north of Van Buren. It's a marginal neighborhood for sure, but you'd be fine in broad daylight. The nearest courthouse is at least 1.5 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,082,109 times
just stay N of Chandler Fashion Center, Ivana!!!.....otherwise, it'd be all new territory for you!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:56 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,430,420 times
Yusef's is what I would reccomend as well. I go there to get my tahini oil and pita bread.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:51 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,214,768 times
Ok time to fire the sister as travel director if she was wrong about the neighborhood by Baiz. Darn. I could've gone. She has lived here about 20 years so I figured she knew what she was talking about. Apparently she was wrong.

Haji Babba was the other one she mentioned.

azdr-this would probably be the closest I've actually come to even seeing downtown Phoenix lol! I presume this area is near downtown? One day I will explore more and get past Chandler Fashion Center.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,484,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Ok time to fire the sister as travel director if she was wrong about the neighborhood by Baiz. Darn. I could've gone. She has lived here about 20 years so I figured she knew what she was talking about. Apparently she was wrong.

Haji Babba was the other one she mentioned.

azdr-this would probably be the closest I've actually come to even seeing downtown Phoenix lol! I presume this area is near downtown? One day I will explore more and get past Chandler Fashion Center.
Well, it's not far from downtown, which you could say starts at 7th St, going west. Yes, you will need to fire, or at least reprimand, your sister as travel director.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,035,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I want to make a Greek dish called Pastitsio. Essentially a Greek variation on lasagna with ground meat and tomato sauce seasoned with cinnamon and topped with a bechamel-type sauce. HOWEVER, traditionally it is made with a type of pasta which I forget the name-looks like macaroni but is straight, hollow and about 12 inches long. A long, straight tube pasta.

Back in Cleveland, we had a decent sized Greek community, and the churches did annual festivals where you could buy Greek food and grocery items. So usually I would pick up a few boxes when I went to the festivals.

Anywhere I can buy this in Phoenix? Does Phoenix have a Greek community? Preferably somewhere in the NE Phoenix/Scottsdale area, tho I would consider a bit longer of a drive if I had to. I would assume being so many transplants there has to be at least a little bit of everything here. ;-)

I suppose I could substitute ziti or penne or even macaroni, but the long tube pasta IMHO makes this dish.

Thanks!
I went to Greek Wraps on the S. side of Bell near the Arrowhead behemouth...I had the BEST chicken gyro...freshly made wrap...so much chicken, not dry...but it tasted of cinnamon. Now I know that I wasn't hallucinating.

Well, just wanted to add this... Greek Wraps was great.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:56 PM

271 posts, read 840,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
I went to Greek Wraps on the S. side of Bell near the Arrowhead behemouth...I had the BEST chicken gyro...freshly made wrap...so much chicken, not dry...but it tasted of cinnamon. Now I know that I wasn't hallucinating.

Well, just wanted to add this... Greek Wraps was great.
I agree! Just went to Greek Wraps for the first time a few weeks ago (after an afternoon single malt scotch tasting at nearby Total Wine, needed food pronto!). We thought it was great - had the gyro plate, falafel, and hummus. Next time I'm going to try the homemade made-to-order wraps. Nice casual non-chain option in the Arrowhead mall area.

Greek Wraps - 7369 W Bell Rd, Peoria, AZ 85382 (Bell and 75th Ave) - CHOW (http://www.chow.com/places/19364 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area