Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 11:00 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,861,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
One of the many great things about this country is the diversity of lifestyles in our cities. I've lived all over, and came back to live in Phoenix because I feel comfortable here, like the climate (I was born in the desert - this will always seem normal to me), like the way the city looks, like the attitudes of most of the people who live here, like the way the sunsets look. I like the traffic (better than most large cities), I like all my friends who live here (including virtual ones like y'all), and I like all the memories. (Driving around town is a non-stop time-machine ride, with memories from my childhood, my teen years, my wild-and-wooly times as a young adult, all the places where I've done things on my job, and now places where I've done things with my kids.) I like our sprawling podunk cowtown suburb.

If you don't like it, that's cool, you can probably find a city somewhere that fills all your needs. No need to trash another city, there are good people and good times everywhere - you live in the U.S. of A.! There are all sorts of great cities out there. I travel to them all the time (currently in Alexandria), but always like coming home to Phoenix, my hometown.
Great post, as this is how most of us feel about a hometown we love, but to add to this...there are many transplants that feel the same way...this is home. Something pulled and tugged at us, and the job situation brought us here sooner than expected...all the better in my mind

I get really disgusted with the bashing...if you don't like it leave, if you are not here, this may not be the place for you, but please don't take out your frustrations on Phoenix or Arizona just because you think you can..., look in the mirror where you are and just deal with it.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:18 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yeah, but the point is there is AT LEAST a real city to go to. Not so here. Just one giant sprawling suburb.

Question to those in this thread - why do you spend your time promoting Phoenix? Do you do this to convince yourself this is THE PLACE to be? I don't get it.

Now, I can understand ME coming here to these threads. After all, misery loves company. But I just don't get why anyone would spend time promoting this suburb.
How often do you think those people who live in that city enjoy it. The point is they don't make enough money to enjoy those attractions. I can fly to SF during any weekend I'm free and pay to stay in the best hotels and eat at the nicest restaurants because I make far more money in Phoenix and have a cheaper cost of living not to mention having a better day to day lifestyle than people who live in Concord outside of SF. That's the point!

I don't understand why you come to this thread. And I still don't understand why you chose to remain here when you could have sold your home years ago. You were not dating your boyfriend that long and your cheap excuse doesn't apply because you lost more money holding onto your house than selling it. Either you are incredibly stupid and lazy or you like Phoenix more than you let on. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and saying it's the latter. We have a legitimate reason for defending this city because we love it, rational people defend what they love. Rational people don't spend all day complaining about a place, they MOVE!

Old 09-05-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Well I think because that is all subjective as well. While one can buy a pretty big house in suburbia in Phoenix, the same house in the central city, Scottsdale, Tempe etc is gonna run you way more. Take for instance a house for sale in Roosevelt here in downtown. It sold for $1.1 million and the price was DRASTICALLY reduced according to my NEW neighbor!!! It was reduced from 1.3 million, LOL! It isn't a huge sprawling mansion, but it is a little bigger than 3,000sq ft., is on the national historic register and was built in the 1910's. Also, a house in a less expensive area of downtown or uptown won't be accessible unless it is in need of restoration; otherwise you are looking at greater than $500,000. If it is a small bungalow then you might find a decent one around $350,000. Otherwise, if you are a young 20 something without much responsibility you can rent a 600 sq ft about for $600 or a large studio for $900 in downtown Phoenix.

Other than that, you'll have to look in the suburbs just like every city. If you work in San Fran and are middle class you commute from a suburb that isn't expensive like San Fran, Berkeley, etc. Same with NYC; people commute from Jersey, Long Island, the north or even a borough outside of Manhattan...middle class don't live in Midtown, the Upper East Side, Park Ave, etc but in Brooklyn, Washington Heights, even Harlem...
I agree we have upscale places as well but I don't think the difference is as great between the most upscale and the regular burbs here when compared to New York City for example. The difference in cost between an outer suburb and an upscale burb in Phoenix isn't as great as living in a house in downtown SF vs living in Valejo. Regarding your second paragraph, we are saying the same thing. People who are middle class or even upper middle class have no choice but to live in the suburbs if they want to buy a home and raise a family and thus live a very Phoenix lifestyle which makes me laugh when they criticize Phoenix because for all intents and purposes, they are living in the suburbs themselves. I feel the only peope who truly enjoy the city are the young people and the extremely wealthy. I have a wife, kids, a couple of dogs, I don't want to live in a downtown. I want a yard. I like living near a lake. I want to be close to a golf course. I want to be able to drive a car. If I'm getting tired of suburbia, I can always fly to SF or NY for a weekend and pay someone to watch my kids or I can drive to Vegas or LA. At the same time, I have nothing against a place with a real downtown. I've already told my children that they should spend some time living in a city like NY or SF when they get older. It will expose them to a different lifestyle and they can learn an incredible amount.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-05-2009 at 12:53 AM..

Old 09-05-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
Not even close. We have superior suburban areas, better food, more culture, more things to do, closer to major cities, better schools, and more unique areas.
New Jersey is an industrial wasteland. The whole state smells like sewage. It's the ugliest state I've ever been to. It's literally the armpit of America. It looks like the set of some nuclear holocaust film set in the future. Jersey is a place for people who can't afford to live in New York. And the trashy people just reflect the physical appearance of the place. Why do many act like thugs in NJ? The people in NY make fun of Jersey people by calling you Bridge and Tunnel people. People in NY will often go out during the week to avoid the Jersey residents who drive in on the weekends. I've been to NY enough times that I can tell the Jersey people apart from the New Yorkers because Jersey residents are so thuggish. I don't agree with Ponderosa very often but I totally agree with him here....New Jersey...are you serious

Old 09-05-2009, 07:33 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
LOL, this probably topped Movin'on's dumbest posts. Better food? I guess if you like spiceless, lacking taste food. I haven't found ONE good Sonoran, Tex-Mex, or New Mexican cuisine place to eat in New Jersey and lived there a few years unfortunately....It isn't called the "arm pit of America" for no reason! Superior suburban areas to me incude Paradise Valley, Scottsdale, Chandler, Cave Creek, and Glendale...what suburbs are world renowned and famous in Joysie? What five diamond/star resorts are in abundance in Joysie? Well if I remember correctly, Phoenix, L.A., Vegas and San Diego are all major cities...The only culture in abundance in Jersey is the type studied in a petri dish and lets not start with the unique areas...please. Jersey is one big suburb of NYC...it can't even claim its own. The schools are just as bad there. Actually New Jersey cities have some of the worst graduation rates in the country, some of the most dangerous schools for kids (especially minorities). Schools in Phoenix out perform the nation and other urban areas by far; please...New Jersey, LOL!
I am no fan of Jersey either; but, Princeton from what I have heard about is an anomaly in that state............cultured, more laid back, less of a 'Joisey' attitude, etc. In fact, a person I met from that city reminded me more of an Old School Californian (from when Calif was still 'Heaven on Earth') than a typical Northeasterner.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:24 AM

27 posts, read 62,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am no fan of Jersey either; but, Princeton from what I have heard about is an anomaly in that state............cultured, more laid back, less of a 'Joisey' attitude, etc. In fact, a person I met from that city reminded me more of an Old School Californian (from when Calif was still 'Heaven on Earth') than a typical Northeasterner.
I lived in New Jersey for all of 18 years, and have never once met anybody with either a Joy-zee accent or Joy-zee attitude. If you go to Trenton, Newark, or Atlantic City, yeah, you'll find some sleazy parts, but most of the middle of the state (like you said, around Princeton) is wonderful. Judging New Jersey based on that is like going to East LA and saying all Californians act like thugs. It's easy to criticize from across the country, but really, it's all misguided contempt. (This wasn't all directed just at you, ArizonaBear, I was just commenting on the one part of your post.)

Old 09-05-2009, 09:32 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexyz2618 View Post
I lived in New Jersey for all of 18 years, and have never once met anybody with either a Joy-zee accent or Joy-zee attitude. If you go to Trenton, Newark, or Atlantic City, yeah, you'll find some sleazy parts, but most of the middle of the state (like you said, around Princeton) is wonderful. Judging New Jersey based on that is like going to East LA and saying all Californians act like thugs. It's easy to criticize from across the country, but really, it's all misguided contempt. (This wasn't all directed just at you, ArizonaBear, I was just commenting on the one part of your post.)
We, the AZ ,members did not come to the Joizy forum and post crap about your state or city. One of joizy's finest felt the need to post ignorant remarks here first. We're just trying to set the record straight.

Anyway, I hear Joizy men are called Guido's. What is a Guido?

Old 09-05-2009, 09:42 AM

11 posts, read 30,708 times
i lived in nj for a couple of years and grew up just north of it. i still can't get over the ignorance of claims that it's an industrial wasteland. they obviously never got off the TP. From small towns to the larger cities I always found friendly people, "'Joisey' attitude"? , tivo the reruns of the Sapranos and take a drive to the Delaware Water gap or New Hope, PA.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:44 AM

27 posts, read 62,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We, the AZ ,members did not come to the Joizy forum and post crap about your state or city. One of joizy's finest felt the need to post ignorant remarks here first. We're just trying to set the record straight.

Anyway, I hear Joizy men are called Guido's. What is a Guido?
Your frustration is understandable, but I had something relevant to respond with, and I responded, feeling some of the statements being made about NJ were uncalled for, in every bit as much as the derogatory comments about Arizona were uncalled for.

Oh, and no, guidos aren't jersey men, it's a specific stereotype/social label that has a very dense population in New Jersey. Id est, the word "guido" doesn't identify somebody as being from New Jersey, but there are quite a few of them in some pockets out there. Just think overly gelled/styled hair, obnoxiously fake orange tans, lots of tacky gold, and cologne that enters the room a full two steps before they do. "Guido" is usually said in an insulting or derogatory matter, but everytime I've seen someone called out on it, they mark it as a source of pride. Go figure.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:45 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,888,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
No, I just legit want to know why and how people can live there.

I liked Phoenix (for the exception of the heat). I had always had a job when I lived there. There's more to do there (than say Prescott, Az. where I live at now). And if you can't stand the heat, then get a damn apartment or house that already has a pool in it! It's that simple, idiot!!

Of the 2 places I had lived in Phoenix, I had always have a pool and I stayed cool all summer. You just have to adapt, overcome, and change your lifestyle (get a damn pool!).

You must be one of these kind of people that won't (or can't) adapt to a new place. Then get out and don't come back!! Sheessh!! :ham d:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area