Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:13 PM

329 posts, read 1,029,583 times

Advertisements

I'm a Euroamerican, having lived both in European cities and American cities my whole life. Currently, I reside in San Francisco, where quite frankly I think it is one of the nicest cities in America. I happen to have a high standard for cities. Yes, I am as anti-NIMBY pro-urban growth anti-sprawl as it gets. I want to see mom and pop stores, not just endless chains and malls and monolithic highways, interesting walkable neighborhoods with diverse styles of architecture, I want to see PEOPLE ON THE STREETS and not hidden away anonymously in their cars. In San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, etc (which still lags behind many European cities), you don't HAVE to have a car, you can take the public transportation all over the city, and there's countless cultural opportunities and places to explore.

Phoenix? My God. I was there last month visiting a friend who had to be transfered there. I can't think of a more depressing place. The climate argument? I get it, I grew up in San Diego. But the heat there is oppresive. I'd rather take humidity in the high 80's than fearing everyday my windshield will explode. The suburban dream? I get it, if it meant that I didn't have to drive a mile just to grab something at a convienience store. The vast expanse of land and space? I get it, if it didn't mean barren brown desert and a yellow dust filled sky.

I've traveled all over and PHX has to be one of the most uninteresting cities. Not only did it seem like there were no people anywhere (except for streams of cars) except INSIDE restaurants or malls, there seemed to be no walkable areas except for the contrived Tempe area. Scottsdale seemed like one of those places investors said, "let's make a Disneyfied Old Town feel right here....with diagnol parking adjacent to every single sidewalk blocking the view of storefronts and the actual buildings".

There seems to be no atmosphere or ambiance anywhere. Cultural insitutions generic. Opera? Symphony? Ugh, I'm talking about interesting urban nieghborhoods with life and soul. Places I can people watch without having to sit under flourescent lighting sipping a mass corporate-produced latte/smoothie.

But the main thing for me is, that fact the city is SO unwalkable. It's like the city was built for cars, not people. And the sheer time it takes to get from one part of the city to the other.

I don't know, people. I have to get this out, and I have to ask - Why PHX? Even for job reasons, is it worth it to stay in such a bland, soulless enviornment? I just don't get it...I would be SO depressed to live there. All it is a failed American Dream unsustainable city. Imagine PHX in 50 years, will it still be liveable? Will you able to drive your car everywhere?

Isn't it difficult to live there?

Last edited by destroycreate; 07-21-2009 at 12:24 PM..

Old 07-21-2009, 12:16 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,611,587 times
Why post this? No one cares what you think...Your sole purpose is to incite a fight.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:18 PM

329 posts, read 1,029,583 times
No, I just legit want to know why and how people can live there.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,345,730 times
Thank you for your opinion. That is what makes America great. Many prefer Sunshine almost year round, with the open space that San Fransisco does not offer (I ve lived there) and are willing to accept some of the trade offs required.

More house for much less money is also another huge factor for family types.

SF is more "metro" then PHX, but that type of life is not for everyone.

Best of luck to you.

P S - Head east 30 mins from San Fransisco to Pleasant Hill/Walnut Creek etc. and you will see those cities are much more similar to PHX than to SF, yet thousands and thousands of people live there. It gets almost as hot, and noone walks out there much either.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,237,767 times
not difficult at all - in fact I rather enjoy it and have outgrown the desire to live in congested urban cores

i like having most everything I need within short distance of my house, i like having ample outdoor recreation opportunities, i like how dark it is and how I can see stars standing in my backyard, i like how the people are accepting and open, i like how the cost of living is relatively low for a city of it's size, i like how for the most part the city isn't divided into ethnic enclaves

i like that I can have a pretty low key life, yet still be within a stones throw of all the big city amenities

do I miss urban life? - at times, but at this point it's something i'd rather visit than have to live in ........ i love SF, but don't think I could live in the city with what I desire as far as family, etc

phoenix doesn't hand you anything though ...... many of the things you were looking for do exist .... you just won't stumble upon it like in other places

Old 07-21-2009, 12:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,158,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I'm a Euroamerican, having lived both in European cities and American cities my whole life. Currently, I reside in San Francisco, where quite frankly I think it is one of the nicest cities in America. I happen to have a high standard for cities. Yes, I am as anti-NIMBY pro-urban growth anti-sprawl as it gets. I want to see mom and pop stores, not just endless chains and malls and monolithic highways, interesting walkable neighborhoods with diverse styles of architecture, I want to see PEOPLE ON THE STREETS and not hidden away anonymously in their cars. In San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, etc (which still lags behind many European cities), you don't HAVE to have a car, you can take the public transportation all over the city, and there's countless cultural opportunities and places to explore.

Phoenix? My God. I was there last month visiting a friend who had to be transfered there. I can't think of a more depressing place. The climate argument? I get it, I grew up in San Diego. But the heat there is oppresive. I'd rather take humidity in the high 80's than fearing everyday my windshield will explode. The suburban dream? I get it, if it meant that I didn't have to drive a mile just to grab something at a convienience store. The vast expanse of land and space? I get it, if it didn't mean barren brown desert and a yellow dust filled sky.

I've traveled all over and PHX has to be one of the most uninteresting cities. Not only did it seem like there were no people anywhere (except for streams of cars) except INSIDE restaurants or malls, there seemed to be no walkable areas except for the contrived Tempe area. Scottsdale seemed like one of those places investors said, "let's make a Disneyfied Old Town feel right here....with diagnol parking adjacent to every single sidewalk blocking the view of storefronts and the actual buildings".

There seems to be no atmosphere or ambiance anywhere. Cultural insitutions generic. Opera? Symphony? Ugh, I'm talking about interesting urban nieghborhoods with life and soul. Places I can people watch without having to sit under flourescent lighting sipping a mass corporate-produced latte/smoothie.

But the main thing for me is, that fact the city is SO unwalkable. It's like the city was built for cars, not people. And the sheer time it takes to get from one part of the city to the other.

I don't know, people. I have to get this out, and I have to ask - Why PHX? Even for job reasons, is it worth it to stay in such a bland, soulless enviornment? I just don't get it...I would be SO depressed to live there. All it is a failed American Dream unsustainable city. Imagine PHX in 50 years, will it still be liveable? Will you able to drive your car everywhere?

I feel sorry for everyone who lives there, genuinely. It must be difficult.
Sorry, pal...........

Phx's trump card over the exhorbitantly priced Bay Area is affordability along with no '4 season' weather crap.

Too; California today seems to hate regular working Americans with its myriad insane laws and regulations.

If describing the failed American Dream-----------you just depicted Calif 2009 as the poster child. I used to live in Calif so I can say it.

PS: I am an American-------------of Euro lineage. None of this hyphenated crap for me

Old 07-21-2009, 12:31 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
After a brief visit, you jump to all these conclusions and then ask us how we can live here?

I don't have time to go into detail, but I don't find it as empty of anything worthwhile as you do. I've visited lots of other cities, lived here almost all my life (just over 50 years). We live here just fine. We deal with the heat. We do not have to shovel it. The traffic is difficult, but public transportation is getting better, as is life in the downtown core. If you don't like it, fine, you can skip visiting here.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:31 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,611,587 times
Add that San Francisco is the Nanny State (City) capital of the USA. The local govt. leaders determine what you can and cannot do. I enjoy my freedoms much better in Phoenix. Your Euro so you really do not know what I'm talking about...

Old 07-21-2009, 12:42 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,099,330 times
Peter, aka "destroycreate" hates San Diego too.

He also hates the gay nightlife in SF.....

Can't stand So Cal beaches, etc.

Pleez don't feed the troll.......

This guy also complains about the lack of lighting on So Cal's freeways....

Is there anything that I left out, Pete?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,882,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
No, I just legit want to know why and how people can live there.
Why do you live, and how can you stand living where you live? I'm sure you have your own reasons, and so do we. Just because you didn't like Phoenix, that doesn't mean everybody else doesn't like it.

Every place has a beauty of its own.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 07-21-2009 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area