Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 08:27 AM

549 posts, read 1,562,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
But, if I was a lawyer or Doctor, I would be living in San Diego or Oceanside, Ca.
Actually, you probably wouldn't, if you were a doctor - you could live in San Diego and compete against dozens of other doctors in a small area for a limited number of patients who aren't on the low-reimbursing Medical, with high malpractice insurance costs despite California's strong malpractice insurance limitations, limited salary, and high cost of living - or you could live in Arizona, rotate at one hospital, be the only physician around for miles, work mostly with a retired, well-educated, well-insured population, make considerably more money and have a lower cost of living.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:35 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,750,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Time to retire the stereotypes.

San Francisco median age: 36.5

Phoenix median age: 30.7

San Francisco actually has one of the oldest populations among major U.S. cities; Phoenix has one of the youngest.
Nice Stats, where do all these "young people" hide. There is a hole in the Ozone Laayer over Scottsdale from the blue hairs spray

Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 AM

338 posts, read 1,627,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
No thanks, I don't want jungles, swamps, snakes and alligators.

Most of the people on these forums are uneducated. Phoenix is plenty green; it's just that the morons associate the term desert and Phoenix since grade school and assume the entire place is brown. Yes, we don't have jungle on side of the freeways nor boa constrictors crawling into our pools but we have more than gravel.
I completely agree. The Floridians can have the swamps and the gators and that suffocating humidity! Who in their right mind wants that?

It is annoying that people think we have NO green out here. I have very green grass in my back yard and 2 large green trees too! WOW! Lots of green all around my neighborhood too, amazing! Too much green is boring though if you ask me. A little desert scenery and breath taking mountain views is aesthetically pleasing.

Good thing we do not have jungles on our freeways and boa constrictors and gators creeping around our backyard. I'll take the the scorps and widows any day.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:26 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,038,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Nice Stats, where do all these "young people" hide. There is a hole in the Ozone Laayer over Scottsdale from the blue hairs spray
Central Phoenix, downtown, Tempe, Scottsdale, etc.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:20 PM

300 posts, read 954,126 times
What is so great about walkable cities. It sounds like you want to live in some over priced corky neighborhood with lots of noise, people, congestion and crime. Not everyone is into that life style. I would rather drive a mile to a convenience store then go to some mom and pop store with sky high prices. I don't see whats so great about "seeing" people on the streets. Yes Phoenix is hot and this is nothing that is not known. At least living in Phoenix, I really never have to worry about being cold. It's also a known fact that this city was build for the car. It makes commuting easier, not everyone wants to rely on public transportation. I enjoy just getting in my car and just taking off I dont enjoy having to wait to ride in a puked smelled bus or train.

It's not difficult to live here. If you come here comparing to city San Franciso then maybe you won't like it. Myself, I enjoy being able to hike mountains in the city, the low cost of living and I enjoy the laid back life style in Phoenix.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:55 PM

162 posts, read 544,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I'm a Euroamerican, having lived both in European cities and American cities my whole life. Currently, I reside in San Francisco, where quite frankly I think it is one of the nicest cities in America. I happen to have a high standard for cities. Yes, I am as anti-NIMBY pro-urban growth anti-sprawl as it gets. I want to see mom and pop stores, not just endless chains and malls and monolithic highways, interesting walkable neighborhoods with diverse styles of architecture, I want to see PEOPLE ON THE STREETS and not hidden away anonymously in their cars. In San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, etc (which still lags behind many European cities), you don't HAVE to have a car, you can take the public transportation all over the city, and there's countless cultural opportunities and places to explore.

Phoenix? My God. I was there last month visiting a friend who had to be transfered there. I can't think of a more depressing place. The climate argument? I get it, I grew up in San Diego. But the heat there is oppresive. I'd rather take humidity in the high 80's than fearing everyday my windshield will explode. The suburban dream? I get it, if it meant that I didn't have to drive a mile just to grab something at a convienience store. The vast expanse of land and space? I get it, if it didn't mean barren brown desert and a yellow dust filled sky.

I've traveled all over and PHX has to be one of the most uninteresting cities. Not only did it seem like there were no people anywhere (except for streams of cars) except INSIDE restaurants or malls, there seemed to be no walkable areas except for the contrived Tempe area. Scottsdale seemed like one of those places investors said, "let's make a Disneyfied Old Town feel right here....with diagnol parking adjacent to every single sidewalk blocking the view of storefronts and the actual buildings".

There seems to be no atmosphere or ambiance anywhere. Cultural insitutions generic. Opera? Symphony? Ugh, I'm talking about interesting urban nieghborhoods with life and soul. Places I can people watch without having to sit under flourescent lighting sipping a mass corporate-produced latte/smoothie.

But the main thing for me is, that fact the city is SO unwalkable. It's like the city was built for cars, not people. And the sheer time it takes to get from one part of the city to the other.

I don't know, people. I have to get this out, and I have to ask - Why PHX? Even for job reasons, is it worth it to stay in such a bland, soulless enviornment? I just don't get it...I would be SO depressed to live there. All it is a failed American Dream unsustainable city. Imagine PHX in 50 years, will it still be liveable? Will you able to drive your car everywhere?

Isn't it difficult to live there?
You live in California....your kidding me! I couldn't tell by your self centered, arrogant attitude. This is exactly the reason why alot of us common folk, "Phoenicians" would never live in your "great" state. LOL

Old 07-22-2009, 02:57 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,273,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I'm a Euroamerican, having lived both in European cities and American cities my whole life. Currently, I reside in San Francisco, where quite frankly I think it is one of the nicest cities in America. I happen to have a high standard for cities. Yes, I am as anti-NIMBY pro-urban growth anti-sprawl as it gets. I want to see mom and pop stores, not just endless chains and malls and monolithic highways, interesting walkable neighborhoods with diverse styles of architecture, I want to see PEOPLE ON THE STREETS and not hidden away anonymously in their cars. In San Francisco, Portland, Vancouver, etc (which still lags behind many European cities), you don't HAVE to have a car, you can take the public transportation all over the city, and there's countless cultural opportunities and places to explore.

Phoenix? My God. I was there last month visiting a friend who had to be transfered there. I can't think of a more depressing place. The climate argument? I get it, I grew up in San Diego. But the heat there is oppresive. I'd rather take humidity in the high 80's than fearing everyday my windshield will explode. The suburban dream? I get it, if it meant that I didn't have to drive a mile just to grab something at a convienience store. The vast expanse of land and space? I get it, if it didn't mean barren brown desert and a yellow dust filled sky.

I've traveled all over and PHX has to be one of the most uninteresting cities. Not only did it seem like there were no people anywhere (except for streams of cars) except INSIDE restaurants or malls, there seemed to be no walkable areas except for the contrived Tempe area. Scottsdale seemed like one of those places investors said, "let's make a Disneyfied Old Town feel right here....with diagnol parking adjacent to every single sidewalk blocking the view of storefronts and the actual buildings".

There seems to be no atmosphere or ambiance anywhere. Cultural insitutions generic. Opera? Symphony? Ugh, I'm talking about interesting urban nieghborhoods with life and soul. Places I can people watch without having to sit under flourescent lighting sipping a mass corporate-produced latte/smoothie.

But the main thing for me is, that fact the city is SO unwalkable. It's like the city was built for cars, not people. And the sheer time it takes to get from one part of the city to the other.

I don't know, people. I have to get this out, and I have to ask - Why PHX? Even for job reasons, is it worth it to stay in such a bland, soulless enviornment? I just don't get it...I would be SO depressed to live there. All it is a failed American Dream unsustainable city. Imagine PHX in 50 years, will it still be liveable? Will you able to drive your car everywhere?

Isn't it difficult to live there?
Well, I'm not from Phoenix, but it seems to have one merit. It's not filled to the rafters with insufferable, self-satisfied arrogant nitwits.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:00 PM

162 posts, read 544,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I'm not from Phoenix, but it seems to have one merit. It's not filled to the rafters with insufferable, self-satisfied arrogant nitwits.
that's funny, you made this post as I was editing mine! yes, your 100% right. The personalities you speak of are here, but not in as great of quantity as other parts of the country.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:53 PM

133 posts, read 192,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And Florida is not working class?
Florida is FUN. We consider Phoenix for retirement and were out there three years ago and outside of seeing the usual Sedona and GC, we were BORED. You wouldn't know what I mean unless you lived in Orlando. There is so much to do, we never even get to the beaches!!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:56 PM

133 posts, read 192,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post

I completely agree. The Floridians can have the swamps and the gators and that suffocating humidity! Who in their right mind wants that?

It is annoying that people think we have NO green out here. I have very green grass in my back yard and 2 large green trees too! WOW! Lots of green all around my neighborhood too, amazing! Too much green is boring though if you ask me. A little desert scenery and breath taking mountain views is aesthetically pleasing.

Good thing we do not have jungles on our freeways and boa constrictors and gators creeping around our backyard. I'll take the the scorps and widows any day.
There is NO suffocating humidity at all. 9 months of 40% humidity is heaven compared to the 100% constant humdity we suffered in the upper midwest. Florida has NO SMOG! Best of all is has Southern hospitality. Love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area