Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:52 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times

Advertisements

Yes, this sounds like a lot of the posts in the L.A. forum that start out, "How can you stand the traffic?" and so on. Jeez, we choose where we live for whatever the reason(s). Let's just leave it at that. There are ways of coping with the traffic, urban sprawl, etc. (I admit that I have trouble understanding how anyone could live in sizzling summer temperatures in Phoenix, but then again, I've never lived where it snowed, either! If I had dealt with snow and ice for a long time, maybe Phoenix would look attractive.)

Old 07-21-2009, 07:04 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
It is amazing to me how vehemently the people in Phoenix have to defend their town, like they have something to prove. I personally can not understand it. I have NEVER started even one thread in the Phoenix section, and yet was attacked multiple times for giving someone advice on moving to Henderson, Nevada. They even had to make up outright lies about Nevada to try to prove their point. I was born and raised, and lived 31 years in Phoenix. I could wait to get out. The reason is becoming more clear every day I read the Phoenix section of this forum. If you do not like Phoenix in any way, you are labeled a troll??? Give me a break. I would gladly chose San Francisco over Phoenix, or even Vegas for that matter, any day, and so would most people, if it were not for the outrageous cost of living expenses.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Isn't it difficult to live there?
No, it is not difficult to live in the Phoenix area - and have done so for 60+ years.

There is night life - there is Symphony - there is the theatre - there is loads of walking areas.

There are some of the finest eating establishments in the world in the Valley of the Sun

There is entertainment above and beyond just about any other city in the world

It is not bad - not bad at all.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:09 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
My opinion is this: when you are young, you should take the opportunity to live in a city like NY, SF, Chicago, Boston, Seattle etc. I think you will learn a lot and it's a wonderful experience. However, when it comes time to settling down, I would examine cities like Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, Houston, LA...even Chicago suburbs. SF isn't a city you want to live in if you are raising a family. My wife and I are anticipating twins and I'm so glad I live in Phoenix. I couldn't imagine having to raise a set of twins living in San Francisco. Sorry I'm not Bob Saget and I don't have Uncle Joey and Uncle Jesse living with me. Maybe if they were available as free nannies and I worked as a Broadcaster working 20 hours a week, i would consider it. Your lifestyle and quality of life would suffer incredibily if you lived in SF unless you were a celebrity who made a lot of money and simultaneously had a lot of free time aka Actor/Actress/Musician/Trust Fund Baby. For the other 99.9 percent of us, that doesn't apply.

This isn't to say that Phoenix lacks a vibrant night life and singles scene because it has that but I think living in a city like NY or SF for 2-3 years is a good idea if you are young, single and lack any real responsibility. But I would never settle down in those cities. If I want fun nightlife and shows, I can fly to NY for a weekend and stay at the best hotel and dine at the best restaurants and get my fill and then come back to Phoenix and enjoy day to day great quality of living. I don't want to live in a prison cell called a 800 sq ft apartment and take public transport and just have basic everyday living activities be harder because I want to feel cool and live in an urban area. No thanks
I catch your drift and did the 'California thing' for about 10 years as well (was age 20 when I fled Wash DC)

Old 07-21-2009, 07:13 PM

132 posts, read 426,747 times
I live very close to San Francisco and would take PHX any day of the week. I plan on moving there when I finish college.

To each their own, but I prefer the climate and beautiful atmosphere of Arizona to most of California.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

There is entertainment above and beyond just about any other city in the world
That has got to be the funniest thing I have read all day. Phoenix is "the entertainment capitol of the world" now.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:23 PM

433 posts, read 875,637 times
Phoenix is the most depressing place I have ever been. Dirt montains and rocks is not my idea of scenery. I was there in November when it was well over 90 degrees. Heat in General is way overrated. All of the best holidays happen during the fall or winter anyway. I'm from Cleveland and hate the summer times here. I just don't know how you can take it. I love the winter wonderland.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handiquack View Post
I live very close to San Francisco and would take PHX any day of the week. I plan on moving there when I finish college.

To each their own, but I prefer the climate and beautiful atmosphere of Arizona to most of California.
Maybe the climate of northern California, but southern California can not be beat climate wise. San Francisco is nice, but San Diego is always were I wanted to live, even much more so than Vegas. I tried to move there back in 1995, and quickly had a reality check with the cost of living expenses. But, I cannot understand how anyone who is successful would chose Phoenix over San Diego. You have the ocean, 75 degree highs in July, and beautiful winters.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:30 PM

219 posts, read 570,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy eyes 1979 View Post
Phoenix is the most depressing place I have ever been. Dirt montains and rocks is not my idea of scenery. I was there in November when it was well over 90 degrees. Heat in General is way overrated. All of the best holidays happen during the fall or winter anyway. I'm from Cleveland and hate the summer times here. I just don't know how you can take it. I love the winter wonderland.
Somebody from Cleveland calls Phoenix depressing?
That's funny.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy eyes 1979 View Post
Have you ever seen the Saguaro Forests? Or, Saguaro's covered with snow in the winter?

Awesome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area