Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 03:23 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,030,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Hi azriverfan First of all I want to congratulate you on your brilliantly written post, especially the 1st paragraph. I could not have said it better myself. San Francisco is a great city, but it is just really expensive and the average middle class person is going to find it tough to live there. I'm not saying it can't be done, yes it could be but unless you want to live like that. I would not mind because to me owning a home is not really something I even think about.

I can understand the OP's complaints but at the same time, why on earth do people just waste their time to type these negative threads? Yes, Phoenix is super hot in the summer and yes it is sprawled out but it is what it is. If people don't like that, they don't have to stay, it is really that simple. And I want to make it clear that in my previous posts in the PHX forum, I have never in any way tried to bash PHX. I sure hope Arizonabear and Fcorrales take the time to read this post because I approach things from a very open minded view now, even more so than say last year.

If the outside temperature is hot so what? That is why they created water and something called AIR CONDITIONING! Although the AC affects my allergies and makes them worse, I don't really complain about it that much because I am now more mature. I am also at a much better level spiritually. I go with the flow of life and try to accept the is-ness of things rather than going against the flow of life. If you go against the flow of life, that is when you are unhappy.
LOL, I actually like your post. I don't have any problem with people expressing a valid opinion or preference but I disagree when the post is sensationalist bashing, lies, overbearing stretches on the truth, etc. LOL, I'm sure AZbear agrees. Also, I have NO idea why people from other cities, usually Chicago and somewhere in Texas try to come on Phoenix' forum and bash, outright lie, etc about our fine city! LOL

Princessbing68 is one of the EXCEPTIONS though, LOL! Go princess!

Whenever I don't like clothes, a gift, or something that I say I don't like or want my mom says: "UGH, you're such a princess!" She knows how to get to me!!! Your SN just reminded me of that...

Old 09-04-2009, 04:14 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,327,594 times
What's funny is these posts never take into account the person's age and station in life. Every city has it's problem and no city truly offers it all. Maybe if I'm a single person who is in my 20's, then it would be fun to live in NY, SF, Chicago but if I'm a parent raising multiple kids, why would I want to live there? How many people can honestly afford to own a home in that city that is large enough to accomodate a family not to mention paying for things like parking. Everyday things like daycare, schools, grocery shopping becomes expensive and a hassle...and the the quality isn't even as good. Even the people who I know that have families that live there, live in the suburbs that are an hour away and essentially live a Phoenix type lifestyle with strip malls and suburbia. They never really go into the city unless it is for work. And honestly, the burbs in those places pale in comparison to the ones in Phoenix which are much nicer.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:10 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,461,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What's funny is these posts never take into account the person's age and station in life. Every city has it's problem and no city truly offers it all. Maybe if I'm a single person who is in my 20's, then it would be fun to live in NY, SF, Chicago but if I'm a parent raising multiple kids, why would I want to live there? How many people can honestly afford to own a home in that city that is large enough to accomodate a family not to mention paying for things like parking. Everyday things like daycare, schools, grocery shopping becomes expensive and a hassle...and the the quality isn't even as good. Even the people who I know that have families that live there, live in the suburbs that are an hour away and essentially live a Phoenix type lifestyle with strip malls and suburbia. They never really go into the city unless it is for work. And honestly, the burbs in those places pale in comparison to the ones in Phoenix which are much nicer.
Yeah, but the point is there is AT LEAST a real city to go to. Not so here. Just one giant sprawling suburb.

Question to those in this thread - why do you spend your time promoting Phoenix? Do you do this to convince yourself this is THE PLACE to be? I don't get it.

Now, I can understand ME coming here to these threads. After all, misery loves company. But I just don't get why anyone would spend time promoting this suburb.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Well I think because that is all subjective as well. While one can buy a pretty big house in suburbia in Phoenix, the same house in the central city, Scottsdale, Tempe etc is gonna run you way more. Take for instance a house for sale in Roosevelt here in downtown. It sold for $1.1 million and the price was DRASTICALLY reduced according to my NEW neighbor!!! It was reduced from 1.3 million, LOL! It isn't a huge sprawling mansion, but it is a little bigger than 3,000sq ft., is on the national historic register and was built in the 1910's. Also, a house in a less expensive area of downtown or uptown won't be accessible unless it is in need of restoration; otherwise you are looking at greater than $500,000. If it is a small bungalow then you might find a decent one around $350,000. Otherwise, if you are a young 20 something without much responsibility you can rent a 600 sq ft about for $600 or a large studio for $900 in downtown Phoenix.

Other than that, you'll have to look in the suburbs just like every city. If you work in San Fran and are middle class you commute from a suburb that isn't expensive like San Fran, Berkeley, etc. Same with NYC; people commute from Jersey, Long Island, the north or even a borough outside of Manhattan...middle class don't live in Midtown, the Upper East Side, Park Ave, etc but in Brooklyn, Washington Heights, even Harlem...

Old 09-04-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yeah, but the point is there is AT LEAST a real city to go to. Not so here. Just one giant sprawling suburb.

Question to those in this thread - why do you spend your time promoting Phoenix? Do you do this to convince yourself this is THE PLACE to be? I don't get it.

Now, I can understand ME coming here to these threads. After all, misery loves company. But I just don't get why anyone would spend time promoting this suburb.
This is one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. But you are one of the few who complain. Usually the "miserable" people don't even live in Phoenix but return to complain. I think it is because they actually MISS Phoenix and hate where they are but try to have others perceive the situation differently. We come here to share ideas, talk about RELEVANT information, share info with new comers and like me, as an outlet to discover new things in the area and to get others' ideas on topics of interest. While I've been stuck working from home and "recovering" I find this a great way to pass some time between things I must get done over the course of the day. It also is something that gets you thinking about things other than one's one daily routine! Many times I take conversations from here and use them elsewhere or for ideas about exploring Arizona that I haven't found myself or thought of before.

EVERY city in America is a sprawling suburb. The largest sprawling suburb connects Boston to Washington, D.C. soon it will connect to Virginia beach...

Old 09-04-2009, 05:54 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,180,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
This is one of the dumbest posts I've read in a while. But you are one of the few who complain. Usually the "miserable" people don't even live in Phoenix but return to complain. I think it is because they actually MISS Phoenix and hate where they are but try to have others perceive the situation differently. We come here to share ideas, talk about RELEVANT information, share info with new comers and like me, as an outlet to discover new things in the area and to get others' ideas on topics of interest. While I've been stuck working from home and "recovering" I find this a great way to pass some time between things I must get done over the course of the day. It also is something that gets you thinking about things other than one's one daily routine! Many times I take conversations from here and use them elsewhere or for ideas about exploring Arizona that I haven't found myself or thought of before.

EVERY city in America is a sprawling suburb. The largest sprawling suburb connects Boston to Washington, D.C. soon it will connect to Virginia beach...
Yep: the I 95 corridor AKA my least favorite part of the USA

Old 09-04-2009, 10:00 PM

292 posts, read 719,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
So New Jersey is better overall than Scottsdale? I am just asking how you came to that conclusion.
Not even close. We have superior suburban areas, better food, more culture, more things to do, closer to major cities, better schools, and more unique areas.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,345,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
Not even close. We have superior suburban areas, better food, more culture, more things to do, closer to major cities, better schools, and more unique areas.
New Jersey?!! You're not serious! I could see people from Dallas or even Vegas making a claim of superiority. And NY, Chicago in their own ways. But Jersey? ROFLMAO!!!!! You made my evening.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:26 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,482,508 times
One of the many great things about this country is the diversity of lifestyles in our cities. I've lived all over, and came back to live in Phoenix because I feel comfortable here, like the climate (I was born in the desert - this will always seem normal to me), like the way the city looks, like the attitudes of most of the people who live here, like the way the sunsets look. I like the traffic (better than most large cities), I like all my friends who live here (including virtual ones like y'all), and I like all the memories. (Driving around town is a non-stop time-machine ride, with memories from my childhood, my teen years, my wild-and-wooly times as a young adult, all the places where I've done things on my job, and now places where I've done things with my kids.) I like our sprawling podunk cowtown suburb.

If you don't like it, that's cool, you can probably find a city somewhere that fills all your needs. No need to trash another city, there are good people and good times everywhere - you live in the U.S. of A.! There are all sorts of great cities out there. I travel to them all the time (currently in Alexandria), but always like coming home to Phoenix, my hometown.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
LOL, this probably topped Movin'on's dumbest posts. Better food? I guess if you like spiceless, lacking taste food. I haven't found ONE good Sonoran, Tex-Mex, or New Mexican cuisine place to eat in New Jersey and lived there a few years unfortunately....It isn't called the "arm pit of America" for no reason! Superior suburban areas to me incude Paradise Valley, Scottsdale, Chandler, Cave Creek, and Glendale...what suburbs are world renowned and famous in Joysie? What five diamond/star resorts are in abundance in Joysie? Well if I remember correctly, Phoenix, L.A., Vegas and San Diego are all major cities...The only culture in abundance in Jersey is the type studied in a petri dish and lets not start with the unique areas...please. Jersey is one big suburb of NYC...it can't even claim its own. The schools are just as bad there. Actually New Jersey cities have some of the worst graduation rates in the country, some of the most dangerous schools for kids (especially minorities). Schools in Phoenix out perform the nation and other urban areas by far; please...New Jersey, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area