Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:04 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,776 times

Advertisements

I noticed on Zillow, that the valleys home values are still going down thousands each 30 days. How long does anyone think this trend will last and when they think it will stabilize? Other western states home prices are on their way back up, at last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 06:59 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
the supply of housing is still too great for the demand. Builders built and built and now all those homes sit empty. Until all the homes are sold and people have to compete for a house, the prices will probably continue down. I would say another 2 years. JMHO.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:10 PM

713 posts, read 1,461,693 times
oh boy, just wait until a ton of ARM's reset soon. in various markets home values will continue to fall. another problem is the HB's themselves. Pulte in Red Rock is selling homes about 50% less than they did 2 years ago. imagine being a new homeowner there 2 years ago. Pulte is destroying home values so that Pulte execs can keep their private jets flying!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:10 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,665 times
Zillow shouldnt be considered trusted source. It says mine has gone UP 11% in last year, even though my zip code is down 10%. However, I do believe at the LOWER end (under 200K like mine), things have stabilized somewhat over the last few months as I have posted in the past about. July figures continue to bear that trend.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:19 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,643 times
Zillow is totally unreliable.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Zillow says my house is smaller than it is by 1,450 square feet (it missed the basement). It is inaccurate as often as it is accurate.

Having said that, prices are falling because the only sales have been bank owned fire sales, and that's not over yet. Some areas of town are starting to stabilize, and some are actually seeing a ton of new construction. I think we're close to stabilizing (there are many sub-markets in the valley that will stabilize at different times). Since prices have now reached 1995 levels, I think people are starting to realize that now is a good time to buy if you have the means.

Though things may be stabilizing in the next 6 months, I don't think you'll see much growth for 2-3 years as the immense lender owned inventory is slowly worked through.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Phoenix home prices (at least in some price points) appear to be going up the last 3 months (as is the case in much of the country now).

Phoenix Market Reports - July 2009

Ken

Old 08-24-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Zillow shouldnt be considered trusted source. It says mine has gone UP 11% in last year, even though my zip code is down 10%. However, I do believe at the LOWER end (under 200K like mine), things have stabilized somewhat over the last few months as I have posted in the past about. July figures continue to bear that trend.

Look at all the houses in Maryvale that zillow says are worth $100,000+, but comp out (thus appraising) at $50,000. Those poor people probably try to refinance based on what zillow says it's worth, and once they are $500 out of pocket on the deal, are told they have negative equity.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 PM

35 posts, read 95,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Zillow says my house is smaller than it is by 1,450 square feet (it missed the basement).
Actually, in most markets you can NOT legally claim the basement as square footage. Whether or not your basement is finished, it normally has to be mentioned separately as a feature but can not be included to up your square footage.

Not sure if Phoenix is a rare exception to this but doubt it. Underground living space does not value out the same as above ground.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuirkyBound View Post
Actually, in most markets you can NOT legally claim the basement as square footage. Whether or not your basement is finished, it normally has to be mentioned separately as a feature but can not be included to up your square footage.

Not sure if Phoenix is a rare exception to this but doubt it. Underground living space does not value out the same as above ground.
It's really only in appraisals that the two are separated. There's above grade livable area, and below grade livable area. Arizona is different than most states back East, where basements aren't typically finished, celings are much lower, etc., so they break out the area from the livable area when properties are sold. Here, basements are included in the livable area in all marketing from MLS and by home builders, and in tax records. Besides, it wouldn't explain why all of my neighbors that have the same floorplan have the basement area listed as livable area on zillow, and mine does not. (Zillow screwed up).

Even though you can assign a lower value to a basement (let's say $90/Sq. Ft. vs. $100/Sq. Ft. above grade), it doesn't explain why zillow did not account for it at all and assign a value for it. It includes 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, gameroom, wet bar, so it definitely should have been accounted for.

Just proves the point I made that zillow can not be used as an accurate way to estimate value for your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area