Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:19 AM

725 posts, read 2,322,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailofdogma View Post
I'm an east coast native and freely admit to preferring it out there, but this list is really stupid...

1,2. Neither is exclusive to Phoenix. Unless you moved back east to some hick town with a Hardees and one stop light, guess what? People are going to be rude and impatient.
3. I suspect this is not a novelty to this area either. You could theoretically make the argument with the snowbirds there may be more of them, but still. Not to mention this is just petty.
4.Yes they get old. Perhaps the best way to avoid Mexican haters is to move to an all white neighborhood. With diversity comes whining about it.
5. Yay wordgames! In China, there is a fine for having more than one child, or at least, there was. I think then, by definition, the person is illegal.
Anyway, I think saying someone is illegal, is essentially an abbreviation of "illegally in the United States." People can be and are illegally here. They can also be 'illegal" in the same fashion if they are trespassing, violating a restraining order, etc.
I would further still make the argument that undocumented should not apply to persons illegally here, as it very well could apply to those living "off the grid," so to speak. It is just another polite euphemism.
6. Arpaio is a nasty little media <work it won't let me use> who I am eagerly awaiting pull over my naturalized wife so I can raise a huge stink about it. Seriously.
7. SUV drivers are everywhere. I promise I saw them out east too.
8. Yeah, that sucks.
9. They did that when I lived in New York, Kansas, North Carolina, California, need I go on?
10. Why the hell should they? Are you missing both arms?
Moderator cut: personal attack
Ironic how this poster wants to move back East but complains about impatience and rudeness here. Eastern Seaboard is known for impatience and rudeness IMHO.

Slow drivers are a problem in Phx????? Get real! This area has more of a problem with speeders than the slow drivers. I don't like either type, and if it were up to me I'd set the limit at 70 on all Freeways and photo-flash everybody driving over or under that speed. That's just not gonna happen, the world isn't perfect!!!!!!!!!!

I have some issues with Sheriff Joe too but he keeps getting re-elected so he must be doing something right.

SUV drivers - they're all over, not just in Scottsdale. I hate big obnoxious gas-guzzlers too, especially being a Hybrid-driver. But we can't control what everyone else choses to drive!!!!!!!!!

Oven weather is here for only 3 or 4 months. After September the weather is beautiful!!!!! I don't even mind the dry heat. Air-conditioning makes everything good.

Love the comment about missing both arms! LOL!!!!! This poster is probably another phony Feminist that demands equality and independence but still expects men to hold open doors for her. I've known a few women like that!!!!!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-16-2009 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 08-29-2009, 02:43 PM

133 posts, read 191,388 times
You left out SMOG!

Old 08-29-2009, 02:46 PM

55 posts, read 44,796 times
I lived in the DC area for 27 years. Enjoy your four month golf season; if you can get a tee-time and afford to play. How does 89 cents for one lemmon grab you? 1200 per month for a 1 bedroom apartment wiht 6 illegals next door--that's Virginia, that's not Phoenix.

Joe is a jackass, for sure, but there is no doubt in my mind that he has been a very positive force in Phoenix. My parents are paying 4000 per year in property taxes (30 miles from downtown), and they just appointed a new principal from PG County (worse than TUSD). He is going to focus on "culture and diversity."

Old 08-30-2009, 01:05 PM

73 posts, read 254,591 times
Well I knew my comments would rattle the cage and pop a few rivets of the disgruntled.

And I knew someone like ArizonaBear would say, "Please stay in the Wash DC area." There are always those who say "I only want people who think like I do living here, so all you outsiders stay way, we don't want your kind here." Ain't going to happen, Bub. It's America--people are free to live where they want--even next to you, and you have no say in the matter. Infuriating, I know.

Arizona has become a place people from other states move to. Can't stop it. And one good thing about all those Californians and East-coasters moving in is that Arizona will become a more moderate state over time, more purple instead of red, balanced instead of tilting to the right. Just the thought infuriates the right-wing idiocracy, I know.

Moderator cut: off topic
And Sheriff Joe isn't being investigated because of some liberal conspiracy. Your claim is just ridiculous. I realize as a right-wing zealot that reason, logic and the facts have no place in your thinking--after all you only watch Fox News, but it must be awful to be so consumed by such irrational conspiracy theories. Watch out--they're out to get you because of your delusional political beliefs!

I always like the phony tax argument, too. Illegals don't pay taxes? Well they do--the same ones you do. They pay the same sales taxes, they pay the same property taxes when they buy a house, they pay Social Security taxes out of their paycheck like you do, but unlike you they can never collect SS. Your tax burden from illegals is just not what you think it is. Again, you can't tell me how you've personally ever been harmed by any of them. So what accounts for your irrational loathing of them? I know, you really like Mexicans--as long as they stay in Mexico.

Drug gangs are a real problem, but there were plenty domestic drug gangs before the gangs from south of the border got a foothold. And who is to blame for that--the illegals or the upscale Scottsdale snow-blower?

It seems that many of those who are so in a lather about illegals are upset at the thought of somebody getting by with something--of breaking the law and not getting caught. But think about it--have you ever exceeded the speed limit or fudged a bit on your tax filing and not gotten caught? Should your neighbors then be incensed because you haven't been arrested and fined for breaking the law? Unless you can honestly say you've never broken any law, then you all belong in jail if violating the law is your sole criterion. Illegals make easy scapegoats for all the frustrations about the problems in society or your lives. Just get rid of them and all our social ills are solved, right?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-16-2009 at 02:50 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 02:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changyai View Post
I lived in the DC area for 27 years. Enjoy your four month golf season; if you can get a tee-time and afford to play. How does 89 cents for one lemmon grab you? 1200 per month for a 1 bedroom apartment wiht 6 illegals next door--that's Virginia, that's not Phoenix.

Joe is a jackass, for sure, but there is no doubt in my mind that he has been a very positive force in Phoenix. My parents are paying 4000 per year in property taxes (30 miles from downtown), and they just appointed a new principal from PG County (worse than TUSD). He is going to focus on "culture and diversity."
Tell me about the stupid rents---------and, there were far fewer illegals in the DC area 30+ years to boot.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:33 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTalk View Post
Well I knew my comments would rattle the cage and pop a few rivets of the disgruntled.

And I knew someone like ArizonaBear would say, "Please stay in the Wash DC area." There are always those who say "I only want people who think like I do living here, so all you outsiders stay way, we don't want your kind here." Ain't going to happen, Bub. It's America--people are free to live where they want--even next to you, and you have no say in the matter. Infuriating, I know.

Arizona has become a place people from other states move to. Can't stop it. And one good thing about all those Californians and East-coasters moving in is that Arizona will become a more moderate state over time, more purple instead of red, balanced instead of tilting to the right. Just the thought infuriates the right-wing idiocracy, I know.

Moderator cut: orhaned
And Sheriff Joe isn't being investigated because of some liberal conspiracy. Your claim is just ridiculous. I realize as a right-wing zealot that reason, logic and the facts have no place in your thinking--after all you only watch Fox News, but it must be awful to be so consumed by such irrational conspiracy theories. Watch out--they're out to get you because of your delusional political beliefs!

I always like the phony tax argument, too. Illegals don't pay taxes? Well they do--the same ones you do. They pay the same sales taxes, they pay the same property taxes when they buy a house, they pay Social Security taxes out of their paycheck like you do, but unlike you they can never collect SS. Your tax burden from illegals is just not what you think it is. Again, you can't tell me how you've personally ever been harmed by any of them. So what accounts for your irrational loathing of them? I know, you really like Mexicans--as long as they stay in Mexico.

Drug gangs are a real problem, but there were plenty domestic drug gangs before the gangs from south of the border got a foothold. And who is to blame for that--the illegals or the upscale Scottsdale snow-blower?

It seems that many of those who are so in a lather about illegals are upset at the thought of somebody getting by with something--of breaking the law and not getting caught. But think about it--have you ever exceeded the speed limit or fudged a bit on your tax filing and not gotten caught? Should your neighbors then be incensed because you haven't been arrested and fined for breaking the law? Unless you can honestly say you've never broken any law, then you all belong in jail if violating the law is your sole criterion. Illegals make easy scapegoats for all the frustrations about the problems in society or your lives. Just get rid of them and all our social ills are solved, right?
Concerning illegal aliens: factoring in ID theft, non payment of taxes, etc., they are criminals by default------------such crimes would land our American asses in Federal prison.

The rest of your comments are not worthy of answering.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-16-2009 at 02:52 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 05:05 PM

12 posts, read 61,126 times
Moderator cut: insulting I'm from the West and have been working as a software engineer in the DC area for the past 7 years and the DC metro area is full of elitist snobs who think anything outside the Northeast isn't worth their time. As much as I like Washington DC, native Northeasterners are the most myopic people I've ever met. They say they're open-minded but whenever they leave the area and move to another part of the country, they expect it to be like where they came from. If this is your expectation, then do NOT move. Stay where you are. I love Arizona and would move in a heartbeat knowing it's the Sonoran desert and it's hot. If Arizona is so bad, then why is it still one of the fastest growing states in the Union next to Texas, Colorado, Utah, and Idaho? Trust me, I live in Maryland and it's an overpriced ghetto. Baltimore and DC area connecting over the 95 corridor. Nothing to brag about. Arizona rocks!!!!!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-16-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 05:13 PM

276 posts, read 792,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exxon_valdez View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned I'm from the West and have been working as a software engineer in the DC area for the past 7 years and the DC metro area is full of elitist snobs who think anything outside the Northeast isn't worth their time. As much as I like Washington DC, native Northeasterners are the most myopic people I've ever met. They say they're open-minded but whenever they leave the area and move to another part of the country, they expect it to be like where they came from. If this is your expectation, then do NOT move. Stay where you are. I love Arizona and would move in a heartbeat knowing it's the Sonoran desert and it's hot. If Arizona is so bad, then why is it still one of the fastest growing states in the Union next to Texas, Colorado, Utah, and Idaho? Trust me, I live in Maryland and it's an overpriced ghetto. Baltimore and DC area connecting over the 95 corridor. Nothing to brag about. Arizona rocks!!!!!
Well, I grew up in MD. It was a great place years ago in MOCO. Now, I would never live there. I'm with you. I am attempting to move back west preferably to AZ. There is only one place that I have lived that is worse now than MD and it is this miserable swamp called FL. I lived in CA for years, and it was better. That I-95 corridor is insane. I love AZ too!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-16-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 07:38 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,643 times
Maybe we can start a group of volunteers to help people pack who hate AZ and want to leave. I came here from the DC area, love it here and never want to even visit the DC area again. BTW, my wife is a LEGAL immigrant. I've never met anyone who had a problem with LEGAL immigrants. I'm sure they're out there, but they ain't common. ILLEGAL immigrants are a problem and I'd love to see them all deported. When you get knocked off your motorcycle by one with no insurance, you'll change your tune.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:58 PM

67 posts, read 97,473 times
Arizona has a VERY diverse climate with the mountains an all. You can live in the beautiful sonora desert, the mountains, or close to both. AZ is one of the most beautiful states in the country. I'd love to live in Tucson and visit those beautiful mountains. A short drive from a scenic hot and dry desert to scenic nice and cool mountains. Who could ask for more?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area