Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:06 AM

39,120 posts, read 51,366,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakboy View Post
Sounds like the city of goodyear wants to put surprise on the back burner, no?
I don't think they are in competition - too far apart in too many ways. Goodyear is clearly after higher end amenities and something that makes it unique (besides high taxes and utilities), but I don't think it is driven by competition with Surprise. Maybe Scottsdale, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 08:35 AM

11 posts, read 22,199 times
As far as in 10 years from now, who will be bigger (in your big picture) Goodyear or Surprise?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
As far as in 10 years from now, who will be bigger (in your big picture) Goodyear or Surprise?

Surprise. They've got a 10 year jump on Goodyear.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:47 AM

11 posts, read 22,199 times
To ponderosa:

Why do you say that? From all the threads about goodyear vs. surprise everyone says that goodyear is gonna (maybe ) lead?!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
To ponderosa:

Why do you say that? From all the threads about goodyear vs. surprise everyone says that goodyear is gonna (maybe ) lead?!
You are asking about bigger as if bigger is the best measure. Buckeye will be bigger than both of them put together eventually, but I wouldn't choose Buckeye right now. Goodyear is and will continue to be a pricier place with a more upscale reputation than Surprise I think. But bigger or better, who knows or cares? To be honest, I don't get the gist of your questions anyway. Are you trying to decide which place your home will appreciate more? If so, the rate is likely to be very similar.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:11 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,528,399 times
Goodyear will eventually be bigger than Surprise. Surprise is running out of real estate to annex, while Goodyear will be heading south almost to I-8. Buckeye will be larger than both.
Eventually.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Goodyear will eventually be bigger than Surprise. Surprise is running out of real estate to annex, while Goodyear will be heading south almost to I-8. Buckeye will be larger than both.
Eventually.
He asked if so in ten years. Yes, Goodyear is only about 10% developed and the vast majority of the city planning area is south of Estrella, not around I-10. I think there is going to have to be a freeway down there first, though.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:02 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,740,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
A decade? They just started planning for it in 2006, LOL! A decade ago, Estrella Mountain Ranch was but a small mirage; the area wasn't anywhere near capable of supporting a full fledge mall. However, the planned grand opening of Estrella Falls (the new Westcor regional shopping center/mall) is scheduled for 2011. My parents live near the area so I'm sure I'll be a shopper from time to time at that mall.
Gee I moved to Goodyear in 1998, Estrella Mountain Ranch was there, but smaller, and all the talk was of the New Mall along where the Big Baby was.
Macy's and Nordstrum were supposedly coming yada yada yada. Since I moved away in 2005 I guess I must have imagined it

Old 09-09-2009, 01:34 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Gee I moved to Goodyear in 1998, Estrella Mountain Ranch was there, but smaller, and all the talk was of the New Mall along where the Big Baby was.
Macy's and Nordstrum were supposedly coming yada yada yada. Since I moved away in 2005 I guess I must have imagined it
I think you did imagine those conversations. As someone wrote before; there has always been talk of how it would be nice to have a mall somewhere west of Desert Sky, or as it was known in its former years, Westridge. However, Goodyear today has 52,000 people. Can you guess the population in 1998? And yes there EMR was "there." But it was still a "canvas" and was nothing compared to today. There was no way the region would have sustained a mall back then. The talk of the Nordstrom, etc was for Arrowhead and not some alfalfa field on Litchfield Rd. or Estrella Parkway.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I think you did imagine those conversations. As someone wrote before; there has always been talk of how it would be nice to have a mall somewhere west of Desert Sky, or as it was known in its former years, Westridge. However, Goodyear today has 52,000 people. Can you guess the population in 1998? And yes there EMR was "there." But it was still a "canvas" and was nothing compared to today. There was no way the region would have sustained a mall back then. The talk of the Nordstrom, etc was for Arrowhead and not some alfalfa field on Litchfield Rd. or Estrella Parkway.
I lived in Estrella in 1998 and we were all getting excited over the new Walmart and restaurants that were going up - in Avondale! We would have been happy to just have a gas station nearby then. I do agree with Boompa to a slight degree in that as long as I can remember, there has been rumor and talk of a mall in the SW valley and Goodyear long range plans called for one. But there were no approved plans until a couple years ago. BTW, I will be really surprised if a mall opens up in 2011 out here or ever. The economy is going to have to heat up in a hurry to make that feasible. And the whole mall format idea is losing steam although Goodyear's mall was supposed to be the new open air style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area