Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 08:03 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,345,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Very unusual my good friend, there's a cold jet stream across the southwest very uncommon...the lowest average monthly low in phoenix is 42..yeah, I think if your from Wisconsin you can handle that!
Averages can be misleading. Temps like today are quite common occurring several times each winter. PHX weather in winter has more variability than in summer. We get cold fronts moving thru in the winter. I just wish we could get some rain out of this!!!! Where the heck is El Nino?

Old 12-20-2006, 08:06 AM

602 posts, read 1,266,318 times
There seem to be a lot of people who dislike Phoenix a lot because it is not like other US cities. My 2 cents would be that the fact that it is NOT like other US cities is what draws people to it. Instead of slamming Phoenix for what it doesn't have, they need to appreciate it for what it does have. A couple things come quickly to mind. Phoenix is surrounded by virgin land, preserved by AZ trust, BLM, etc. There certainly isn't anything like it around NYC, where you can go hunting, fishing, etc. In Phoenix, you can go swimming and then take a 90 minute drive into the mountains to go skiiing. Not much of that kind of diversity in many other places. There are a lot of things I like about a lot of different cities in the US. It saddens me that it seems like everything on this site quickly degenerates into a pissing match about who is "better". There IS no BETTER! There are differences between different places, appreciate and enjoy them. If you don't enjoy them, then don't visit that place. The things that make you think one place "sucks" or is a "sh1thole" can be the very things that make others think it is a paradise. Or vice-versa.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:16 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,686,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Very unusual my good friend, there's a cold jet stream across the southwest very uncommon...the lowest average monthly low in phoenix is 42..yeah, I think if your from Wisconsin you can handle that!
Well I will go with what the people that live here have told me not the averages on the internet, that this is the norm, can be colder can be warmer. I am not from Wisconsin, so to me it is cold.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Averages can be misleading. Temps like today are quite common occurring several times each winter. PHX weather in winter has more variability than in summer. We get cold fronts moving thru in the winter. I just wish we could get some rain out of this!!!! Where the heck is El Nino?
Rain would be nice, ( me from Oregon saying that!!!) I dont ususally pay to much attention to the internet posted averages!!!! The are off about Oregon too, I lived there for 32 years, I know how much it rains!!!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
There seem to be a lot of people who dislike Phoenix a lot because it is not like other US cities. My 2 cents would be that the fact that it is NOT like other US cities is what draws people to it. Instead of slamming Phoenix for what it doesn't have, they need to appreciate it for what it does have. A couple things come quickly to mind. Phoenix is surrounded by virgin land, preserved by AZ trust, BLM, etc. There certainly isn't anything like it around NYC, where you can go hunting, fishing, etc. In Phoenix, you can go swimming and then take a 90 minute drive into the mountains to go skiiing. Not much of that kind of diversity in many other places. There are a lot of things I like about a lot of different cities in the US. It saddens me that it seems like everything on this site quickly degenerates into a pissing match about who is "better". There IS no BETTER! There are differences between different places, appreciate and enjoy them. If you don't enjoy them, then don't visit that place. The things that make you think one place "sucks" or is a "sh1thole" can be the very things that make others think it is a paradise. Or vice-versa.

I know I am so tired of the bashing attitudes, yes it is brown and dusty, it is the desert for crying out loud!!! But there is ALOT of beauty here as well, things you cant find in other states. I dont think anywhere is better, just different.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:21 AM

602 posts, read 1,266,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Well I will go with what the people that live here have told me not the averages on the internet, that this is the norm, can be colder can be warmer. I am not from Wisconsin, so to me it is cold.
Well, you can go by what you want, but as someone who lived in the PHX area for 32 years, I will say that 30 degrees is NOT the norm there, lol. It only gets below freezing overnight a handful of times in a year.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:23 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,345,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Rain would be nice, ( me from Oregon saying that!!!) I dont ususally pay to much attention to the internet posted averages!!!! The are off about Oregon too, I lived there for 32 years, I know how much it rains!!!
Take heart. The weather is variable in winter and it will be back in the 70s for highs in short order. Wait 'till February and you will BELIEVE IT OR NOT be thinking about how nice it would be to feel some real heat again. We're never happy, are we. Also, go out this afternoon when it is in the 50s and feel how warm the sun is. Sure beats Oregon in that regard.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:24 AM

It may not be everyday but it does happen, like this week for example, I have talked to quite a few that say, it happens every year.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Take heart. The weather is variable in winter and it will be back in the 70s for highs in short order. Wait 'till February and you will BELIEVE IT OR NOT be thinking about how nice it would be to feel some real heat again. We're never happy, are we.
I like the cold, it is winter, but I will also enjoy being able to sit and have a nice cold drink on my back porch as well. Just because we dont have snow, doesnt mean we dont have seasons!! Desert nights are cold!!!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:29 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,472,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! I SAY THE SAME THINGS IN THE CALIFORNIA FORUM!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area