Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:46 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,737,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukusagirl39 View Post
what an ugly mother he is!!! Are they poisonous to people as well? Also about the bees, are they poisonous to people?have you had experience with them? What about those ugly looking ants I have seen on the net? What kinds of creatures are indiginous to there and what are your experiences? heck I think this should be in another forum lol.
Just remember, ukusagirl . . . except for the heat, these examples are relatively rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:29 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,877,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukusagirl39 View Post
what an ugly mother he is!!! Are they poisonous to people as well? Also about the bees, are they poisonous to people?have you had experience with them? What about those ugly looking ants I have seen on the net? What kinds of creatures are indiginous to there and what are your experiences? heck I think this should be in another forum lol.
As Bummer said, this are probably far and few between especially if in the city. We are rather rural, and I have seen that nasty toad thing, we had an encounter with a snake (not in our yard), and I saw the biggest scorpion I have ever seen when I went to move my herb pot...it was underneath and while I ran to get the camera it disappeared too...

I think someone mentioned Oleanders being toxic. We have them lining the property we are on and the dogs will run around them, but don't bother them otherwise.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 PM

88 posts, read 253,337 times
well scorpians are commonif you live by/in the mountains. but if you live in the metro area your only real worry is the heat. if you live in the ghetto or southside I would avoid pitbulls like the plague. They are lovely dogs, but because of the dog fighting here it can cause problems.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:14 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,737,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I think someone mentioned Oleanders being toxic. We have them lining the property we are on and the dogs will run around them, but don't bother them otherwise.
Very valid point about the Oleanders, Grannysroost.

However, I have huge Oleanders along my West facing wall for sun protection and I have never seen one dog munching on them. Let's face it, dogs have more sense than many humans I've known but that's another subject requiring a whole new thread.

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 11-08-2009, 10:36 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,877,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Very valid point about the Oleanders, Grannysroost.

However, I have huge Oleanders along my West facing wall for sun protection and I have never seen one dog munching on them. Let's face it, dogs have more sense than many humans I've known but that's another subject requiring a whole new thread.

! ! ! ! ! !
These oleanders were here when we moved in and I had no idea about the toxicity until looking them up...my dogs aren't the brightest of the species and they don't bite or chew them, though any piece of trash that gets miraculously through the fence some how ends up at my door... The neighbors have a bunch of different dogs that can reach them through the fence and they are all still there too

Old 11-09-2009, 05:44 AM

49 posts, read 107,831 times
I especially like Bummers comment- I love my boys! they are unique individuals indeed. My little guy (rat terrier) hates children though. My big guy (ridgeback) has some racial issues but has mellowed with age. They both love the inddors and anywhere soft to lay and will eat almost anything I give them. I tested on day and they ate cantalope, honeydew melon, various nuts, even theolive soff my salad lol

Old 11-09-2009, 06:03 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Most long snout dogs do OK in the heat. They can make it with just shade and water. They can walk during the hot evenings after the sun gets low or sets (feet get burned during the sunny part). If you must leave them out, you can get an evap cooler or a fan with misters built in that will cool a small outdoor area to a reasonable temp.

Pug-nosed dogs can't take the heat though.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 PM

419 posts, read 1,526,464 times
FYI- I had 2 in-laws lose 3 dogs to the Parvo virus. Of the litter of 4, the only one that survived was the one at the older house in Glendale. The 3 that died, according to the vet, got the virus from the backyard dirt of the newly built subdivision. Apparently bleaching the dirt can kill the virus.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:42 PM

103 posts, read 229,563 times
my shnauzer was bit by a scorpion. My father in law is a vet. he said give him benadryl because he was acting all weird. It worked.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:23 PM

49 posts, read 107,831 times
wow interesting data. Good to know indeed. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area