Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 08:39 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,246,227 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned quote You don't know anything about it from your post. Molten salt you mentioned is used to make steam (superheated water) that spins turbines, needs to be cooled and used again. You need water for cooling in a cost effective design. The molten salt doesn't change the equation one iota. PG and E's plant they announced a couple weeks ago will use half a billion gallons a year. A plant in NV uses even more than that. You are sorely misinformed if you think that solar is not going to be a huge competitor with ag and even domestic uses for water in the SW. It is possible the solar companies will just give in and go to dry cooling, but that remains to be seen.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-15-2009 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 08:40 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You don't know anything about it from your post. Molten salt you mentioned is used to make steam (superheated water) that spins turbines, needs to be cooled and used again. You need water for cooling in a cost effective design. The molten salt doesn't change the equation one iota.
Actually no, from a report at work:

Quote:
Rice Solar Energy, part of a spin-off from United Technologies, is planning a solar energy installation in an uninhabited part of eastern Riverside County, California.

The system relies on melted salt - 4.4 million gallons' worth - in a 538-foot tower. Mirrors around the tower reflect sunlight onto it, heating the salt to such great temperatures that it retains a useful amount of heat seven hours after sundown.

The technology underpinning Rice Solar Energy's project, called concentrating solar power (CSP), involves 18,000 mirrors - called heliostats - aiming light at the tower. The salt inside looks like water when melted, says the California Energy Commission in its review of the project.
Little water used, thank you. Any way, everyone seems to want to argue tonight, so goodnight, ASU vs Oregon is on...

Old 11-14-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
You don't know anything about it from your post. Molten salt you mentioned is used to make steam (superheated water) that spins turbines, needs to be cooled and used again. You need water for cooling in a cost effective design. The molten salt doesn't change the equation one iota. PG and E's plant they announced a couple weeks ago will use half a billion gallons a year. A plant in NV uses even more than that. You are sorely misinformed if you think that solar is not going to be a huge competitor with ag and even domestic uses for water in the SW. It is possible the solar companies will just give in and go to dry cooling, but that remains to be seen.
This is older technology, newer technology in use in California, Germany, China and soon Arizona operates with different technology. Effluent is used when necessary as well as sea water for the extraction of salt, etc.

If you worked with me, our German bosses wouldn't be to pleased with your lack of knowledge. As Heidi Klum would say in Project Runway, "Auf Wiedersehen!"

Old 11-14-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Actually no, from a report at work:

Little water used, thank you. Any way, everyone seems to want to argue tonight, so goodnight, ASU vs Oregon is on...
As I said, the molten salt is used to make steam - it is the steam that spins the generators not the molten salt. The steam is in a closed loop and once it exits the turbines it is condensed back into water in a heat exchanger consisting of water dripping on "fins" - evap cooling. Copious amounts of water are transpired into the air in this process as you would see over Palo Verde or any or our coal and natural gas plants on a cold morning. The process is identical. Only the source of heat is different.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
This is older technology, newer technology in use in California, Germany, China and soon Arizona operates with different technology. Effluent is used when necessary as well as sea water for the extraction of salt, etc.

If you worked with me, our German bosses wouldn't be to pleased with your lack of knowledge. As Heidi Klum would say in Project Runway, "Auf Wiedersehen!"
This is not older technology. It is the way it is done - see my post above. Effluent can be used for cooling, but do tell, where is the nearest water treatment plant to your proposed desert solar? I haven't seen any oceans out in the desert either lately. The Phoenix treatment plant water is already claimed by Palo Verde.

Water is a big issue. I can't believe that anyone who has looked into solar for more than five minutes would not know that.

I don't work for you, thankfully, anf if your company is as ignorant about the technology as you are, it will not be in business for long. I think, however, that you have just googled around a bit, picked up a few terms and buzzwords and decided to present yourself as some sort of expert on the topic. It is clear you don't have a clue.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:17 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,489 times
I have to admit I know little of the mechanics of solar power, and am a little less than interested. Maybe you should open up a new thread fcorrales so you can actually share this information for people that want to learn all about it.

The thread was about C02 in Phx. Certainly solar power is something to consider in a place with so much sunshine However, i will now have to wade through your lectures and references to project runway and Heidi Klum to actually read what people are saying about C02

Old 11-14-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I have to admit I know little of the mechanics of solar power, and am a little less than interested. Maybe you should open up a new thread fcorrales so you can actually share this information for people that want to learn all about it.

The thread was about C02 in Phx. Certainly solar power is something to consider in a place with so much sunshine However, i will now have to wade through your lectures and references to project runway and Heidi Klum to actually read what people are saying about C02
Actually this has a lot to do with CO2, as solar power would curtail much of that problem because of new power plants in Arizona contributing the largest gains in the growing CO2 problem. Maybe you should re-read the entire thread to understand where this problem is coming from and why solar is an important topic Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-14-2009 at 10:31 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
This is not older technology. It is the way it is done - see my post above. Effluent can be used for cooling, but do tell, where is the nearest water treatment plant to your proposed desert solar? I haven't seen any oceans out in the desert either lately. The Phoenix treatment plant water is already claimed by Palo Verde.

Water is a big issue. I can't believe that anyone who has looked into solar for more than five minutes would not know that.

I don't work for you, thankfully, anf if your company is as ignorant about the technology as you are, it will not be in business for long. I think, however, that you have just googled around a bit, picked up a few terms and buzzwords and decided to present yourself as some sort of expert on the topic. Moderator cut: rude .
Yeah all those scientist that First Solar and other leading German solar producers employ would be so consumed with envy that you know more than them! LOL I guess companies like First Solar are going to fold soon, maybe I need to start looking for a new job, according to Ponderosa! Wait, thank god I don't work for him!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-15-2009 at 12:12 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 09:29 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,489 times
Quote:
Actually this has a lot to do with CO2, as solar power would curtail much of that problem because of new power plants in Arizona contributing the largest gains in the growing CO2 problem. Maybe you should re-read the entire thread to understand where this problem is coming from and why solar is an important topic Moderator cut: rude .
Moderator cut: rude
Its enough to say that C02 could be reduced by the use of solar power. The actual nitty gritty of how the plants work would venture into new territory. There is clearly a disagreement, and NO ONE knows either way who is right in the arguments you are perpetuating. If they are interested they could find more reliable sources than you on the internet.

Although I take a little relief to see that you argue with everyone and not just me.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-15-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 09:34 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,476,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
We would have been polluting the same amount in California and that CO2 does not necessarily stay put over the region of the source of pollution. The problem is people producing more polluters. See my previous post.

How many children do you have? If more than two, you are a bigger problem than the Californians with fewer children. Google ZPG.
My 3 kids will be the ones paying for your social security, and the interest on the "Stimulus" bill. As you age, you better hope people have more kids. Or else increase immigration, legal and/or otherwise, to pay into the social security coffers.

A greater pollution problem are all the people insisting on living in cold climates up north and back east. Heating a home through a northern winter creates much more pollution than air-conditioning a home through the summer in the southwest. Close down New York and Chicago, I say.

An even greater problem are all those people buying hybrid cars. Priuses (Priusi?) consume so much energy in their production as their parts are shipped all over the world in the course of their production (and their nickel battery production is an environmental nightmare for the people in China), so that when you roll one off the showroom floor, you've already used the equivalent of 1,000 gallons of gasoline. You won't pay off your carbon imprint until you've driven 46,000 miles. You would do much better to buy a 10-year old, used fuel-efficient car like a 1998 Toyota Tercel. You would have to drive 100,000 miles in your Prius before you could match the carbon savings already paid by the Tercel. You won't look as trendy to your pals at the Starbuck's, though.

Don't Buy That New Prius! Test-Drive a Used Car Instead

Go Green — Buy a Used Car. It’s Better Than a Hybrid | Autopia | Wired.com

Better yet, buy a damn bike and figure a good commute route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area