Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:20 PM

164 posts, read 773,968 times

Advertisements

Seriously considering a move to PHX. Would be transferring to PHX airport, so want to keep the commute livable (though likely won't be in rush hour traffic; fan of mass transit). We have 3 young kids, home schooling so schools don't matter but family friendliness (safety and parks, etc) does. Mom's in Sun City W, so would be nice to be a reasonable drive to there too, but the daily grind matters more than a weekly jaunt.

Looking in the $150-250K range, 3BR, 2000sqft+, more than a micro-yard, wish list includes either neighborhood pool or one at the house. Concerned about pre-1977 houses -- should I be?

Any suggestions on areas to look?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 03:30 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,490,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrynS View Post
fan of mass transit

Any suggestions on areas to look?
Valley Metro | System Map (http://www.valleymetro.org/schedules_and_maps/system_map/ - broken link) This info should help you narrow down your choices a bit.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:17 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,581,373 times
Look at 44th street north of Indian School Road. It's an easy drive to the airport. If you look around McDowell you will be discouraged to see houses with bars in the windows. That's the calling card of "crime is high here."

Old 11-16-2009, 11:41 AM

216 posts, read 733,531 times
I visited recently and stayed near 52nd Street and Broadway. Drove around the area and *wow* I was surprised to see a sprinkling of nice/OK homes around. It's mostly an industrial park area, but that wouldn't bother me too much if I wanted a centrally located home with a short commute. Not many new looking homes, but maybe if you dig around the area you can find a little gem somewhere. Otherwise, I def. agree w recommendation of 44th St, N of Indian School.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, though it sounds like that area might be too "spotty". Is that true?

I'd rather have the cheapest house in a expensive area than the nicest house in a run-down area (not saying that area is run down...don't know).

What are the "white collar" family neighborhoods? Not ritzy, just educated. Don't mean to sound like a snob -- we have friends of all socia-eco-edu backgrounds and have lived in different types of neighborhoods, from verge-of-foreclosure-blue collar to golf course lots. But to be honest, being a SAHM with a PhD (consult PT, but I don't get the mental stimulation of a "real" workplace) I would love to have some college-educated folks (esp women) around my neighborhood to keep my brain sharp. BTW, I know that education is not the same as smart, but IMO folks who are struggling to "just get by" (regardless of income/ed, but lower ed often means lower income and more struggle) rarely seem to have the time or energy to think beyond getting by (if you are worried about how you'll pay your mortgage that month you are unlikely to be too concerned about some new scientific discovery in an obscure magazine).

No offense to anyone -- I'm just trying to express my preferences and perspective since I'm asking for your help!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:49 PM

652 posts, read 2,717,496 times
Getting a place on the METRO Rail would be a good idea especially since there is an extension connecting PHX directly to the train line:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...sky-train.html

Old 11-17-2009, 01:59 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,271,863 times
somewhere on the light rail could be favorable, but beware the further east you go on it the longer that drive to the inlaws will be - i honestly don't know enough about the neighborhoods near the stops in tempe/mesa to comment though

i live in goodyear and have an aunt in fountain hills - i don't see her that often in large part because it takes a long time to get out there

also, are you avoiding rush hour traffic because you're work hours or because you like public transport?

if you will be working during rush hour and plan on using public transport aside from the light rail to get to/from the airport, note that it's not overly efficient in phoenix and can end up taking longer in many cases as buses pretty much run on the same streets as everyone else

Old 11-17-2009, 02:15 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,198,276 times
Look in the areas around Awatukee and South Mountain. Not too bad of a commute and affordable with good schools, stable housing prices. Tempe is also very nice, but the nicer areas are pricey (maybe out of your range).

Old 11-17-2009, 03:24 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,778,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrynS View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, though it sounds like that area might be too "spotty". Is that true?

I'd rather have the cheapest house in a expensive area than the nicest house in a run-down area (not saying that area is run down...don't know).

What are the "white collar" family neighborhoods? Not ritzy, just educated. Don't mean to sound like a snob -- we have friends of all socia-eco-edu backgrounds and have lived in different types of neighborhoods, from verge-of-foreclosure-blue collar to golf course lots. But to be honest, being a SAHM with a PhD (consult PT, but I don't get the mental stimulation of a "real" workplace) I would love to have some college-educated folks (esp women) around my neighborhood to keep my brain sharp. BTW, I know that education is not the same as smart, but IMO folks who are struggling to "just get by" (regardless of income/ed, but lower ed often means lower income and more struggle) rarely seem to have the time or energy to think beyond getting by (if you are worried about how you'll pay your mortgage that month you are unlikely to be too concerned about some new scientific discovery in an obscure magazine).

No offense to anyone -- I'm just trying to express my preferences and perspective since I'm asking for your help!

I would recommend areas in Tempe which is a nice area near the airport, but you post puts me off.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the replies!

We're not dependent on mass transit -- right now DH drives 10mi to a P&R to catch an express bus the remaining 12mi. I just know he'd much rather spend (even part) of his commute reading or listening to podcasts on a bus/train rather than sitting in traffic behind the wheel. But just one consideration.

He tends to work off-hours, so avoiding the heaviest rush hour shouldn't be a problem.

Yikes! Seems like the trouble with PHX may be having too many options! A good problem to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area