Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:10 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times

Advertisements

The reversable lanes along the two 7ths were a good feature at one time, but I think they have outlived their purpose. There have always been problems with drivers not paying attention to the rules of these lanes. When somebody tries to make an ILLEGAL left turn onto a side street, it backs up traffic and makes the extra lanes useless.

I would like to see some major streets in and around Phoenix become "super streets". They would be muti laned with interchanges at the major intersections, and there could be overpasses that cross over the half thoroughfares. They wouldn't necessarily be freeways, but more like small expressways ... similar to how much of Grand Avenue operates now, only the "super streets" would be newer and much more efficient than Grand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 10:03 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,022,154 times
I agree with Val Nat...I don't think the reversible lanes are wise. We should replace them with electric trolley buses on dedicated guide-ways or rails like in Seattle. This is like the in-between from light rail or traditional bus. LOL, let's see how much traction that idea gets. It makes sense as the bus routes along these corridors are heavily traveled, and just like the rail, I'd suspect they draw instant transit converts as opposed to the bus.

The lanes are tricky. You cannot turn onto a signal lighted intersection or no turn marked intersection during the hours indicated for rush hour(s) from the reversible lanes. However, it is legal to turn into an unmarked side street form the lane since many of those side streets are neighborhoods and people must be allowed to get home. The confusing and danger, comes from those who use the side streets in substitution for the main, no-turn thoroughfare. Many of these "users" often make abrupt stops because they are not familiar with the streets. The reason for the difference is that while a few cars are SUPPOSED to turn into a side, neighborhood street, at a major intersection of cross street, a line will form and back up the lane, defeating the purpose. But since traffic has increased many times in both directions, it is nearly impossible now to turn into a side street from the lane; in the past this wasn't such an issue as the flow was favorably heavy in one direction during the morning and evening commutes; why it no longer makes much sense.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:14 AM

643 posts, read 1,394,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I always love to see people get in the lane to turn, and not realize you can't stop, it's hilarious.

What I hate is if you're in the lane, and someone going the opposite direction tries to use it to turn, they're just asking to get hit head on!

They should just elminate these lanes, the 51 is much quicker anyways.
I agree with you to an extent. I work in the Asbestos business and North Phoenix off the 51 has some of the best neiborhoods built during the asbestos boom of the 60's and 70's, so I do a lot of work up there. My issue coming back home to East Mesa isn't until trying to get on the 202 eastbound. I have sat in that stupid exit lane for an hour and a half at times .

Old 11-30-2009, 08:09 PM

9 posts, read 36,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegun View Post
Lately, I have noticed so many people turning left from either the lane it self, or turning left from a regular lane. This has been causing a lot of back ups on both sides defeating the purpose of these lanes.

From what I understand, no left turns are permitted at all during rush hour.

Reversible lane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is there a reason why the police/city never enforce these rules?
lefts are allowed on many of the smaller streets and the post office etc but not at the major intersections, or where there are signs stating no left. Police won't enforce it since making a left is allowed and if a person is trying to make a left at the lights or on other streets where it is forbidden by signage the police should ticket. I do not know your own personal situation but if they are making a left turn where they are not allowed then they could be ticketed but I am guessing since it was a huge argument in the city council to do away with these lanes and they did not
( I sat on a interview board of whether these lanes are helpful or harmful) enforcing it is not a high priority although death may be from what I observed when I lived at Forest Park right off 7th ave. I never even attempted it even though it was legal to do so. Just to dangerous. A lot of people think no lefts at all through the entire streets of 7th and 7th ave and sit there honking at the person (honking is actually a ticketed offense if you are honking and it is not to avoid an emergency- they hardly ever enforce that one either) but this is not true. It is very confusing. Don't even get me started on grandma who gets in the lane by mistake to make a left and is actually in the way of oncoming traffic. YIKES!!!!!!!!! Scary and rude people won't even let her over. Suicide city.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:19 AM

98 posts, read 286,613 times
sundvl,

I think you have cleared up what I was needing to ask. I just started this commute because of a new job. This whole downtown Phx traffic is a little daunting.

So, in the AM hours, I go northbound 7th St. I did notice the no left turn signs on several streets. However, there are a "few" places where it appears you can turn left even during rush hour. Now, I know the center lane is a southbound lane.

So I can get clarification, is it "legal" to use the leftmost northbound lane to turn left on streets where there is no "NO LEFT TURN" sign? I know this makes the left most lane come to a complete stop sometimes... but the only other alternative for me is to travel West another 1-2 miles to hit 7th Ave and then make a right turn to my workplace.

And as far as my short experience with north/south traffic, there does not appear to be a need anymore for this multi-purpose center lane based on hours of the day.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:41 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,422,157 times
I believe anything south of Dunlap on 7th St is reversible.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,921,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeu00 View Post
sundvl,

I think you have cleared up what I was needing to ask. I just started this commute because of a new job. This whole downtown Phx traffic is a little daunting.

So, in the AM hours, I go northbound 7th St. I did notice the no left turn signs on several streets. However, there are a "few" places where it appears you can turn left even during rush hour. Now, I know the center lane is a southbound lane.

So I can get clarification, is it "legal" to use the leftmost northbound lane to turn left on streets where there is no "NO LEFT TURN" sign? I know this makes the left most lane come to a complete stop sometimes... but the only other alternative for me is to travel West another 1-2 miles to hit 7th Ave and then make a right turn to my workplace.

And as far as my short experience with north/south traffic, there does not appear to be a need anymore for this multi-purpose center lane based on hours of the day.
No, you can't turn left at an intersection with any street that is marked with a No Left Turn sign. It is technically legal to make a left onto a side street that is not marked, but since you are going against the traffic flow it would be impossible from a practical point of view to make a left turn across four lanes of traffic without the benefit of a stoplight. You could just travel past the street you are attempting to take westbound, make a right turn onto a side street, make another right to go south and then one more right will put you on your chosen westbound route.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:41 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I agree with Val Nat...I don't think the reversible lanes are wise. We should replace them with electric trolley buses on dedicated guide-ways or rails like in Seattle. This is like the in-between from light rail or traditional bus. LOL, let's see how much traction that idea gets. It makes sense as the bus routes along these corridors are heavily traveled, and just like the rail, I'd suspect they draw instant transit converts as opposed to the bus.
Rail transit along 7th Street & 7th Avenue sounds nice ... but I don't know how it could possibly be afforded right now when even basic city services like police, fire, and library hours are under the knife for cutbacks. How about the idea of super streets (or mini expressways) to move traffic along faster? Granted, there's probably not enough room to expand 7th Street or 7th Avenue unless property is acquired ... but other streets could be turned into mini expressways with fewer traffic lights and more overpases to move things along quicker. Put in HOT lanes and charge a toll so that the cost burden would fall on the the users of these roads!
()

Old 12-05-2009, 03:06 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegun View Post
Lately, I have noticed so many people turning left from either the lane it self, or turning left from a regular lane. This has been causing a lot of back ups on both sides defeating the purpose of these lanes.

From what I understand, no left turns are permitted at all during rush hour.

Reversible lane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is there a reason why the police/city never enforce these rules?
How ironic! I see people doing that all the time. The other day I was going north on 7th street during rush hour and someone in front of me was turning left from the express lane, where there was clearly a sign forbidding it. He sat there waiting to turn, so a number of us honked. They then had the audacity to throw up their middle finger! I pointed at the sign, and he turned back and looked at me like I was crazy! Perhaps he was either an illegal alien or couldnt read. But I've never seen the no-left turn rule enforced.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:09 AM

9 posts, read 36,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyEA View Post
The main problem I see is that for those people that read the signs, they assume the suicide lanes only mean you cannot make a turn at a traffic light with a previously posted sign. I cannot argue with that assumption as the only "do not turn signs" seem to be at or before intersections with a stop light. Therefore, many drivers stop to make a turn before or after such an intersection and feel they have the right to do so. Then there are the ones that have no clue whatsoever and proceed to turn at a stoplight intersection which has been clearly marked they cannot do so within "X" amount of morning or evening hours and are honked at with abandon. Please correct me if I am incorrect in what I have observed.
yes Sandy you are incorrect in your assumption. You can make a left in some places. If there are no signs you are allowed to make a left but it is very hard to do and dangerous because people think like you that you are not allowed so don't stop or beep illegally at the person who is perfectly following the law.I am not sure where this misconception comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area