Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:05 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,315,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Chick View Post
Hey all,

Here's my story in a nutshell. I'm a 30 y.o. single, female, no kids, and college educated. Chicago native; lived in SW Florida (not by my choice, parents decided when I was younger), Denver, Las Vegas & L.A.

I was laid off from my job in Las Vegas (Director of marketing for a production company - I have a solid yet diverse resume) and saved myself further job hunting frustration and got out of there before the economy tanked even more. (Vegas is at 13% unemployment and most of my friends have either been laid off and have left as well.)

I unhappily and temporarily moved back to Denver to be with my sister to develop plan B. (Denver is my second home as I went to high school and college out here, but was so excited to move back to Vegas for the second time a year-and-a-half ago.)

However, I seriously dislike Denver: the snow, the cold wealther, ugly people, snobs, boring city, boring people, no industry, vanilla people (I am Caucasian but please can we have some diversity?!!!), no night-life and horrible city for dating. There is nothing new for me to explore here and frankly, I feel like a stale 90 year old woman. This city has turned this extroverted, flamboyant chick into a miserable hermit. Denver is a great place to be married, have children, ski and drive an SUV. For me, no thank you.

I've been to Phoenix/Scottsdale four times; Sedona & Tempe twice. I love the desert landscape (people think I'm nuts, but my stomach flips in excitement when I feel the warm air on my skin and drive through the scenic desert - it feels good to be there.)

Anyways, I have some concerns and am very interested in getting your honest opinions.

1.) I have never "partied" in Phoenix. Not that this is on the top of my list of priorities when it comes to relocating, but I want a city that provides me with a fun night life and doesn't drop DEAD at 1:30am either. How's the nightlife out there? Rock bars? Clubs? I love variety and love exploring new places. Do you think Phoenix could offer me this?

2.) One of the reasons I left Las Vegas was that it is a breeding ground for illiterate, shady, flakey SHARKS! I am very concerned that Phoenix might be filled with the shady jerks spilled over from Las Vegas. How have you found the quality of people there? Ease of making new friends? I'm very outgoing and have never had problems making friends; although as I'm getting older I'm seeking more quality people people in my life. (ie educated, friendly, responsible, people

3.) Anyone ever had a huge scorpion or tarantula in their house/apartment? Just had to ask! I'd occasionally get sand roaches in my place in Vegas. Gross, but not a total freak out.

4.) How is the singles scene? Dating?

5.) I've read that there's low wages out there. I disliked that about Las Vegas. I have an opportunity to work from the house, but I'm not sure that would float my boat either, so I want to keep my options open too.

Thank you for your thoughts, opinions...
Ye gads, woman! Whatever you do, whatever it takes, get yourself the heck away from those "ugly people".... Thank God everyone in Phoenix is model perfect...; )

Just kidding, but that aside, we lived in a well established neighborhood in Glendale in a very populated, settled area. The neighborhood was 15 yrs. old and we had scorpions in our garage. If you move to Phoenix, get yourself a cat if you don't already have one. Scorpions hate them, I've been told, and we never did see a scorpion inside the house, so it may be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 02:23 PM

42 posts, read 81,444 times
Thank you all for your responses and information you provided! It is actually comforting to know a few of you have been in boring Denver and know what I'm describing. Lately, I seem to be offending the vanilla Denver snobs when I express my extreme disdain for it.

I appreciate all of the info! How is your economy out there? Are you guys still experiencing massive layoffs like everywhere else? When I was laid off from my company in Las Vegas, I couldn't even find a food serving job at Applebee's, Chili's, even Starbucks - even with prior cocktailing, bartending and food serving experience! It was ridiculously insane! Do you hear stories like that in Scottsdale/Phoenix/Mesa?

What areas of town are notorious for crime? Where should I avoid?

Thank you again for your responses.

Quote:
What is a sand roach?
Palmetto bugs

Old 12-01-2009, 03:46 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,907 times
From your description, Denver sounds a lot like Phoenix to me. Maybe the people arent as ugly, never been there, but I might guess there are probably less beards on the men and more girls that shave their armpits over here, and the clothing is alot more revealing for sure.

As for feeling young though, um, don't bank on it. Its a retirement mecca and definitely NOT known for diversity in the slightest. Its likely to be just as vanilla as Denver, and I would argue maybe moreso.

This is where you come when you decide you are too old to be messing around with shoveling snow and when a clean car becomes an obssession. When you start developing a phobia of driving your BMW through mud puddles, and develop an appreciation for crushed gravel landscaping, then make your way out to Phoenix.

There are livelier areas in central phoenix to pick from I'm sure, but from the sounds of it, you aren't coming here for a job or any other reason than you guess you might like living in the desert. If you have the whole country to pick from and your goal is to feel young again, I would argue to the death that this is the WRONG place.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:42 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,021,449 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your responses and information you provided! It is actually comforting to know a few of you have been in boring Denver and know what I'm describing. Lately, I seem to be offending the vanilla Denver snobs when I express my extreme disdain for it.

I appreciate all of the info! How is your economy out there? Are you guys still experiencing massive layoffs like everywhere else? When I was laid off from my company in Las Vegas, I couldn't even find a food serving job at Applebee's, Chili's, even Starbucks - even with prior cocktailing, bartending and food serving experience! It was ridiculously insane! Do you hear stories like that in Scottsdale/Phoenix/Mesa?

Palmetto bugs
Just don't move to Sun City, LOL, that is the retirement mecca. Despite that, Phoenix is one of the youngest cities, demographically speaking, where the average age is less than 34...most cities are closer to 40. I'm not too sure how the service industry is doing here, but don't try to get a job in construction as that is by far the hardest hit industry accounting for over 70% of the job losses.

Again, I wouldn't worry about demographics as Phoenix is one of the most diverse cities and is becoming more so every year especially for various Asian and foreign born citizens (not latino). I don't know too many old/retired people who run in the heat, hike up mountains, ski in the high country, and remain extremely active outdoors but there are an abundance of young people (18-40) who do it here in Phoenix and that is the largest growing age demographic in Phoenix; college age to professional/working adults.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:18 PM

112 posts, read 130,344 times
I am an earlybird retiree myself and I have to say this place makes even me feel older than I am too. I visit a relative who owns a small condo in the Biltmore area and comes out here for the winters. So I visit here like sort of a snow bird but not of my own means. I would not cite diversity and culture as a plus for Phoenix. Also as a pre-senior, we certainly can hike the trails, they are completely groomed all the way to the summit and I've done it plenty. I still ski too and I'm over 50. What are you trying to say? How about you dont try to assume what is possible for seniors? We all dont get quarantined to Sun City, in fact many seniors never want to step a foot in Sun City. The people that you reference in the demographics include a majority of young people raising families and sound exactly like what they are trying to leave behind. As for Phoenix being one of the most diverse cities? Compared to where? Omaha? Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-01-2009 at 07:04 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,455 times
Quote:
Hey all,

Here's my story in a nutshell. I'm a 30 y.o. single, female, no kids, and college educated. Chicago native; lived in SW Florida (not by my choice, parents decided when I was younger), Denver, Las Vegas & L.A.

I was laid off from my job in Las Vegas (Director of marketing for a production company - I have a solid yet diverse resume) and saved myself further job hunting frustration and got out of there before the economy tanked even more. (Vegas is at 13% unemployment and most of my friends have either been laid off and have left as well.)

I unhappily and temporarily moved back to Denver to be with my sister to develop plan B. (Denver is my second home as I went to high school and college out here, but was so excited to move back to Vegas for the second time a year-and-a-half ago.)

However, I seriously dislike Denver: the snow, the cold wealther, ugly people, snobs, boring city, boring people, no industry, vanilla people (I am Caucasian but please can we have some diversity?!!!), no night-life and horrible city for dating. There is nothing new for me to explore here and frankly, I feel like a stale 90 year old woman. This city has turned this extroverted, flamboyant chick into a miserable hermit. Denver is a great place to be married, have children, ski and drive an SUV. For me, no thank you.

I've been to Phoenix/Scottsdale four times; Sedona & Tempe twice. I love the desert landscape (people think I'm nuts, but my stomach flips in excitement when I feel the warm air on my skin and drive through the scenic desert - it feels good to be there.)

Anyways, I have some concerns and am very interested in getting your honest opinions.

1.) I have never "partied" in Phoenix. Not that this is on the top of my list of priorities when it comes to relocating, but I want a city that provides me with a fun night life and doesn't drop DEAD at 1:30am either. How's the nightlife out there? Rock bars? Clubs? I love variety and love exploring new places. Do you think Phoenix could offer me this?

2.) One of the reasons I left Las Vegas was that it is a breeding ground for illiterate, shady, flakey SHARKS! I am very concerned that Phoenix might be filled with the shady jerks spilled over from Las Vegas. How have you found the quality of people there? Ease of making new friends? I'm very outgoing and have never had problems making friends; although as I'm getting older I'm seeking more quality people people in my life. (ie educated, friendly, responsible, people

3.) Anyone ever had a huge scorpion or tarantula in their house/apartment? Just had to ask! I'd occasionally get sand roaches in my place in Vegas. Gross, but not a total freak out.

4.) How is the singles scene? Dating?

5.) I've read that there's low wages out there. I disliked that about Las Vegas. I have an opportunity to work from the house, but I'm not sure that would float my boat either, so I want to keep my options open too.

Thank you for your thoughts, opinions...
I think you are in a pinch. The people you described in Denver are EXACTLY like they are in Phoenix; and Scottsdale has the most 'snobs' of any city you could go to. And dont even get me started as to how boring Phoenix is. In fact, several months ago 3 of Phoenix's largest suburbs--Chandler, Mesa and Gilbert--were ranked as the single most boring cities in the country. And Phoenix is the epitome of not having any industry. It is a minimum-wage town and, according to USA Today and the Arizona Republic newspaper, has the 4th worst job market in the country. And they are both saying how Arizona will be among the last areas of the country to rebound from the recession. As far as being 'illiterate' goes, Arizona is the epitome of 'illiterateness.' becasue Arizona ranks dead last (50th) among the states in education. The schools are AWFUL.

If you hate Denver, you will easily hate Phoenix. Why not try San Diego or Dallas or even move back to Chicago? All are way better than Phoenix. Just thought I'd warn you. Do the research B4 going anywhere. Phoenix is highly highly highly overrated for its size, by far.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borus View Post
I am an earlybird retiree myself and I have to say this place makes even me feel older than I am too. I visit a relative who owns a small condo in the Biltmore area and comes out here for the winters. So I visit here like sort of a snow bird but not of my own means. I would not cite diversity and culture as a plus for Phoenix. Also as a pre-senior, we certainly can hike the trails, they are completely groomed all the way to the summit and I've done it plenty. I still ski too and I'm over 50. What are you trying to say? How about you dont try to assume what is possible for seniors? We all dont get quarantined to Sun City, in fact many seniors never want to step a foot in Sun City. The people that you reference in the demographics include a majority of young people raising families and sound exactly like what they are trying to leave behind. As for Phoenix being one of the most diverse cities? Compared to where? Omaha? Moderator cut: rude .
50 isn't old and I doubt it would be very advisable for older citizens to run up Camelback in May or June or even January for that matter. I've seen healthy 20-30 year old become dehydrated, exhausted, or stuck and needing help off the mountains.

S. Mountain is different, but I think your description of a 50 yr old skiing and hiking is deceptive as to the actual physical strain of many activities can be dangerous. Plus, you being 50 wouldn't even get you into Sun City; even myself as a young man know this as I have relatives there. Despite them being "young" at heart and healthy, they couldn't physically do what us 20-50 and even some 60 year olds can do. Some perspective would be wise here.

Also, all one needs to do is google or wiki Phoenix demographics to see that the city is over 50% minority in population; hardly vanilla in any definition with the black, asian and foreign born populations making up ever larger and fastest growing segments. This is something the OP said was important as Denver's demographics are different and not to the liking of the OP.

Moderator cut: hostile
The OP stated she enjoyed Phoenix weather and her trips here and I doubt Chicago would qualify as such. And since the lady is single, she asked for singles info and nightlife info for a 30-something if one is familiar...

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-01-2009 at 07:06 PM..

Old 12-01-2009, 05:35 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,455 times
Quote:
How is your economy out there? Are you guys still experiencing massive layoffs like everywhere else? When I was laid off from my company in Las Vegas, I couldn't even find a food serving job at Applebee's, Chili's, even Starbucks - even with prior cocktailing, bartending and food serving experience! It was ridiculously insane! Do you hear stories like that in Scottsdale/Phoenix/Mesa?

Palmetto bugs
The problem is that we dont have enough jobs for the people. Even minimum wage jobs are to find. Yes, Phoenix is anemic in jobs. In fact, USA Today and the Arizona Republic newspaper recently reported how Phoenix has seen the most layoffs of any metro area in the country, has the 4th worst job market in the country, and will be among the last places to see an economic rebound. There is also not much culture and the lack of things to do. And dont even gent me started on the MASSIVE number of foreclosures and HORRID schools. PHOENIX'S PROBLEMS ARE EVEN MORE PROFOUND THAN THE REST OF THE COUNTRY. THAT IS A FACT. PHOENIX DEFINATELY LIVES UP TO ITS REPUTATION AS NOTHING MORE THAN A RETIREMENT COMMUNITY. There are many better cities U can consider. Stay away at all costs.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:42 PM

Much of what krock says is true; huge job losses (construction), currently bad job market, and an economic forecast by ONE source that says Phoenix is 70 out of 100 to recover, etc. That list compares all cities from Des Moines to Seattle to Phoenix to small towns so take that as you may. Chicago and other like cities in California ranked lower than Phoenix by the way. Bottom-line, if you like the climate, can find employment, and like your neighborhood there is no reason that should stop you. If you can't find a job in ANY city I don't know how happy you'd be. But I'm sure if you don't like the city, and you don't have a job you'd be that much more unhappy. Good luck in your search and I hope you end up where you'd like your environment the most!

Old 12-01-2009, 05:46 PM

112 posts, read 130,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
50 isn't old and I doubt it would be very advisable for older citizens to run up Camelback in May or June or even January for that matter. I've seen healthy 20-30 year old become dehydrated, exhausted, or stuck and needing help off the mountains.

S. Mountain is different, but I think your description of a 50 yr old skiing and hiking is deceptive as to the actual physical strain of many activities can be dangerous. Plus, you being 50 wouldn't even get you into Sun City; even myself as a young man know this as I have relatives there. Despite them being "young" at heart and healthy, they couldn't physically do what us 20-50 and even some 60 year olds can do. Some perspective would be wise here.

Also, all one needs to do is google or wiki Phoenix demographics to see that the city is over 50% minority in population; hardly vanilla in any definition with the black, asian and foreign born populations making up ever larger and fastest growing segments. There is a difference between stereotyping and reality like saying Scottsdale is full of snobs and that YOU feel old so therefore, everyone in Phoenix feels old or should.

The OP stated she enjoyed Phoenix weather and her trips here and I doubt Chicago would qualify as such. And since the lady is single, she asked for singles info and nightlife info for a 30-something if one is familiar...
Well I say you let the young lady read through the thread and decide for herself. Moderator cut: hostile I have looked at the demographics of Denver and see Phoenix has about 20% more hispanics, but the difference in all other races is negligible. I have always thought of diversity as more than two races because by that definition you could call Mississippi diverse since it has a large black / white demographic while other nationalities are minimal. Lets not argue amongst eachother. We have each presented our opinions Moderator cut: hostile

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-01-2009 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area