Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:15 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times

Advertisements

Not to bash Phoenix at all (I love PHX), but after reading your posts, I'm wondering if you wouldn't like Dallas better? Job market is good, even for what you did in your last job in Vegas, cost of living is reasonable, and it's an awesome city for singles (been there, did it, loved it). Lots of diversity and culture as well. Cold some winters, but nothing like Denver, hot in summer but with some humidity - that would be the only drawback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
9 votes out of 4.3 million, hardly count that as a consensus.

Hispanic isn't a race people! Asian, White, Native, Black can all be hispanic...what matters are diverse ethnicities, cultures, and yes races of which there are plenty in Phoenix. But stereotyping and lumping all people in one category together, you do each unique culture a disservice. Kind of like saying all people of one race "look the same."

Well this is certainly your opinion, but others differ. I don't know if I wouldn't even call Denver a "real city." I think such label are stupid and has nothing to do with the actual fact that a city is a city is a city as a rose is a rose. We can get more poetic but I'm sure everyone gets the point. Moderator cut: hostile
No one is stereotyping and lumping, in fact the statistics are breaking the lump apart to see how much "DIVERSITY" there is.

This seems to be a pretty common question among alot of people, and I actually dont think a fair answer can be given by either a white person or a hispanic. Ask a black person or asian or pacific islander or native american if they find it diverse. You will hear a totally different answer. The purpose of separating the races in a study is to answer the question of diversity and not an attempt to be racist. If you can't use that as a gage for what types of people live an area, then you are limited to the dinner menus of every household? By that gauge, we are chock full of culture I'm sure.

I am not sure why this subject is veering off into la la land as usual? I recommend this response and your argument that everyone is "hispanic" is deleted from the thread. Its not true, and irrelevant.

Last edited by cmist; 12-02-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 12-02-2009, 12:18 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Sorry, but I COMPLETELY disagree. You are comparing one city, Las Vegas to Metro Phoenix which has a multitude of cities to choose from. It's really comparing apples to oranges. I mean honestly, is there anyone who really WANTS to live in Vegas?
Considering Vegas was the Number 1 fastest growing city for years (as recent as 2007), I would say tons of people want to live in here. Both of my childhood friends are envious of me, and would like to live here. However, both of them messed up by getting married, and having wives that will not let them. Now the OP said she does not want to live in a city that dies out by 1.30 AM. Sorry to tell you, but the whole city is dead by 2 AM. This includes EVERY suburb of Phoenix.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:30 PM

525 posts, read 539,651 times
It has been #1 because of retirees wanting to move there to spend away their kids inheritance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Considering Vegas was the Number 1 fastest growing city for years (as recent as 2007), I would say tons of people want to live in here. Both of my childhood friends are envious of me, and would like to live here. However, both of them messed up by getting married, and having wives that will not let them. Now the OP said she does not want to live in a city that dies out by 1.30 AM. Sorry to tell you, but the whole city is dead by 2 AM. This includes EVERY suburb of Phoenix.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:31 PM

525 posts, read 539,651 times
I second this suggestion. Love Dallas, and have thought about moving there in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Not to bash Phoenix at all (I love PHX), but after reading your posts, I'm wondering if you wouldn't like Dallas better? Job market is good, even for what you did in your last job in Vegas, cost of living is reasonable, and it's an awesome city for singles (been there, did it, loved it). Lots of diversity and culture as well. Cold some winters, but nothing like Denver, hot in summer but with some humidity - that would be the only drawback.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,019,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
I second this suggestion. Love Dallas, and have thought about moving there in the past.
Dallas is much better than Denver, but I think the OP stated she liked the weather and environment of Phoenix; however, it really doesn't snow in Dallas so it could be a trade off. A very southern city, but not too bad for diversity as it is much more similar to Phoenix than Denver, which anyway you look at it is 70% white (Denver).

Another thing to consider is a higher crime rate in Dallas.

One thing with Vegas, and why I don't envy anyone living there is the complete unoriginality of the town. Its a copy of another city at a small scale; very fake. Also, the club options for a diverse crowd in Vegas are small and only one club for my type which was on the Strip and full with everyone making 6 digits driving a Camry.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:35 PM

42 posts, read 81,418 times
Quote:
Both of my childhood friends are envious of me, and would like to live here. However, both of them messed up by getting married, and having wives that will not let them. Now the OP said she does not want to live in a city that dies out by 1.30 AM. Sorry to tell you, but the whole city is dead by 2 AM. This includes EVERY suburb of Phoenix.

I will say living in Vegas changes you! It was a blast to live there and I still have a love/hate relationship with the city. I guess I will just have to live with the fact that any other place than Vegas will shut down earlier. But there has to be a better city with more excitement, opportunity and variety than Denver Colorado!

I appreciate all the viewpoints and feedback you guys! Although I feel torn!!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Chick View Post
I will say living in Vegas changes you! It was a blast to live there and I still have a love/hate relationship with the city. I guess I will just have to live with the fact that any other place than Vegas will shut down earlier. But there has to be a better city with more excitement, opportunity and variety than Denver Colorado!

I appreciate all the viewpoints and feedback you guys! Although I feel torn!!

The other 24 hour party towns besides Vegas are New Orleans and Miami.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
I have homes in Phoenix and Las Vegas. I lived almost full time in LV for 10 years. And I can honestly say, I will take Phoenix over Las Vegas any day of the week.

Las Vegas is "plastic", "fake". It's all about the "bling"

Phoenix is a real town - real people.

There are lots of things to do in Phoenix - lots of night life.

Jobs are better. Housing is better. EDUCATION is FAR, FAR better.

You will be happy in Phoenix

Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I have homes in Phoenix and Las Vegas. I lived almost full time in LV for 10 years. And I can honestly say, I will take Phoenix over Las Vegas any day of the week.

Las Vegas is "plastic", "fake". It's all about the "bling"

Phoenix is a real town - real people.

There are lots of things to do in Phoenix - lots of night life.

Jobs are better. Housing is better. EDUCATION is FAR, FAR better.

You will be happy in Phoenix
Here is my take on this:

I agree that Las Vegas is plastic and fake, as I have encountered that. However, the same exact thing can be said for Scottsdale and Tempe. I really do not see a difference. There is nightlife in Phoenix, but they always cut the party short because of the 2AM liquor cut off. Jobs and housing is better in Phoenix, but education is the same. Both are terrible in this respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area