Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:18 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
but education is the same. Both are terrible in this respect.
You have got to be kidding! For one thing - the valley have one of, if not the, finest international business schools in the world - Thunderbird School - NOTHING like it in LV.

UNLV is a JOKE compared to ASU and now UofA. We have a Med School in Phoenix, Law School (don't even compare the unlv law school - on the very of losing their accreditation). Dental School. Engineering. Nursing. Journalism.

We have more private colleges here than in LV. We have more trade schools.

No - the education in Phoenix is FAR, FAR SUPERIOR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:28 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You have got to be kidding! For one thing - the valley have one of, if not the, finest international business schools in the world - Thunderbird School - NOTHING like it in LV.

UNLV is a JOKE compared to ASU and now UofA. We have a Med School in Phoenix, Law School (don't even compare the unlv law school - on the very of losing their accreditation). Dental School. Engineering. Nursing. Journalism.

We have more private colleges here than in LV. We have more trade schools.

No - the education in Phoenix is FAR, FAR SUPERIOR
I constantly read on both the Phoenix and Vegas section on how the education is terrible. I did not go to any of the schools listed above, so I can not comment on them personally.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:32 PM

930 posts, read 2,423,511 times
Moderator cut: racist and crude
That will rank as one of the dumbest criteria for a city I have ever heard.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-02-2009 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 01:34 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Here is my take on this:

I agree that Las Vegas is plastic and fake, as I have encountered that. However, the same exact thing can be said for Scottsdale and Tempe. I really do not see a difference. There is nightlife in Phoenix, but they always cut the party short because of the 2AM liquor cut off. Jobs and housing is better in Phoenix, but education is the same. Both are terrible in this respect.
Without quoting many statistics except for one; the number of people in Arizona with degrees or higher education attainment is above Nevada and Phoenix is above Vegas. The school systems for k-12 in Phoenix also outrank metro Vegas and the drop out rate in Vegas is many times higher.

That being said, I won't say why I like Phoenix and lists some facts, I'll be personal as most people on city-data are. I've lived in over 10 states and in most major cities; one thing I very much appreciate about Phoenix is the lack of scripted neighborhoods or self-contained boundaries where minority groups band together like in almost every other place I've lived; especially Los Angeles and Chicago.

As a Hispanic and gay male, I also appreciate that the feeling I get from the population all over Arizona is; "why does it matter," and "ok, good, so what!" Which is great! This hasn't been the case in many places where you'd expect it like Seattle and Dallas which are both far more likely to have hate crime occurrences. I don't run into fake people in Scottsdale or Tempe, but do run into the occasional snob every time I go out in Scottsdale but that is to be expected; there are a lot of wealthy people in that area of town.

I wouldn't call Tempe nightlife snobby or fake in the least; it's college kids/adults (mainly under 30) in jeans and t-shirts and when its warmer in flip-flops (guys and girls). I don't know any other city on the West Coast were a black club is next to a latin club is next to or downstairs from a gay club, next to a pricey, "sophisticated" bar/club but that is what you get in Phoenix and even in Scottsdale to a degree as well. And these different people interact with never a problem in the almost three years I've lived here. Despite one club being "hispanic," or one "black," or one that looks like only whites would go, etc they are very mixed.

As far as sprawl, I've never lived in a city that wasn't mostly sprawl, even New York. The thing is those that live/work/play in Manhattan, Central Phoenix, inside Chicago's loop, downtown Seattle, etc. don't have to drive to White Plains (NYC), Surprise (Phoenix), Schaumburg (Chicago), or Lynwood (Seattle) in order to live and be happy.

Sure there are people who drive/commute from those places in but that doesn't define life in those urban areas for those that choose NOT to be suburban...I found this isn't really the case in Denver (smaller central city population than Phoenix), Las Vegas (MUCH smaller "central city" since they don't really have one), or Houston, Dallas, etc...

Last edited by fcorrales80; 12-02-2009 at 02:25 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 04:13 PM

930 posts, read 2,423,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Chick View Post
Beena, what are you talking about? I didn't mean that as any disrespect. Denver is boringly vanilla, I like diversity!! Geez.
Our gangs are diverse.

Google "Phoenix Gang Activity" and "Holiday Membership Specials".

Last edited by Beena; 12-02-2009 at 04:24 PM..

Old 12-02-2009, 05:45 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Not to bash Phoenix at all (I love PHX), but after reading your posts, I'm wondering if you wouldn't like Dallas better? Job market is good, even for what you did in your last job in Vegas, cost of living is reasonable, and it's an awesome city for singles (been there, did it, loved it). Lots of diversity and culture as well. Cold some winters, but nothing like Denver, hot in summer but with some humidity - that would be the only drawback.
I have to agree with you on this post.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:38 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times
Quote:
I have homes in Phoenix and Las Vegas. I lived almost full time in LV for 10 years. And I can honestly say, I will take Phoenix over Las Vegas any day of the week.

Las Vegas is "plastic", "fake". It's all about the "bling"

Phoenix is a real town - real people.

There are lots of things to do in Phoenix - lots of night life.

Jobs are better. Housing is better. EDUCATION is FAR, FAR better.

You will be happy in Phoenix
I think its a wide sweeping stereotype to call ALL of Las Vegas "fake" based on the strip.

I have a friend who lives up there in a rather ordinary neighborhood. The neighbors look normal and none of them seem to be into "bling". You can't judge "Las Vegas" by the strip alone anymore than you can judge Phoenix as snobby by Scottsdale nightlife, or pick a blue collar area and label ALL of it as a real town with real people.

As far as I understand it, Las Vegas has their little Scottsdale area, which I think is Summerlin? But the suburbs where most people live is just like Phoenix. Plenty of real people in a real town. If you blind folded me and stuck me in a LV stucco subdivision and told me I was in some part of Phoenix, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

The nightlife on the strip of course is a typical dressed up, out for the night type crowd. Completely over the top too, but for some reason, that type of thing doesn't bother me on the strip. I kind of expect it and figure people are really playing it up to feel like they are some kind of Vegas high roller. I find the materialism there to be overdone to the point of being light and humorous. It feels like borderline mockery of the ultra rich, even if they are serious.

On the other hand, I do get irritated with the same type of nightlife crowds in Scottsdale, but I cant put my finger on why exactly. It seems the motives for the glamour show are completely different. They expect to be taken seriously... but to me, downtown Scottsdale doesnt seem to warrant dressing up and feeling like you are anywhere special.

Last edited by cmist; 12-07-2009 at 03:03 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
As far as I understand it, Las Vegas has their little Scottsdale area, which I think is Summerlin? But the suburbs where most people live is just like Phoenix. Plenty of real people in a real town. If you blind folded me and stuck me in a LV stucco subdivision and told me I was in some part of Phoenix, I wouldn't be surprised at all.
My home is in Summerlin. The Trails. And Summerlin is not like Scottsdale.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:48 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,983 times
Quote:
My home is in Summerlin. The Trails. And Summerlin is not like Scottsdale.
Ya, I'm not really sure what the name was, but I remember they told me some area over there was like the Scottsdale of Las Vegas. Maybe Green Valley? I can't remember but you got me curious. Whats area of Phx is Summerlin like? And what is the Scottsdale of Las Vegas?

Last edited by cmist; 12-07-2009 at 07:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area