Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 09:49 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,093,551 times

Advertisements

What is it about our freeways that confuses drivers, whether intoxicated or not? There were 4 of these incidents in the last week, some fatal. Is it preventable or is there something that needs to be done to the sinage (sp) to prohibit these accidents? How can we all feel safe on the freeways and what would you do if you encountered a wrong way driver? (Besides calling 911).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 10:32 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,721,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
What is it about our freeways that confuses drivers, whether intoxicated or not? There were 4 of these incidents in the last week, some fatal. Is it preventable or is there something that needs to be done to the sinage (sp) to prohibit these accidents? How can we all feel safe on the freeways and what would you do if you encountered a wrong way driver? (Besides calling 911).
Nothing solves impairment or stupidity.

Our highways are some of the best out there. They are beyond well marked. Everything is reflective, highway numbers are painted in reflective paint ON the lanes before major interchanges, signs are excellent, and weather is rarely a factor in anything. With very few exceptions, they are easy to navigate with higher speed interchanges (the mini stack and stack have some issues) as evidenced by the crash marks on interchange walls, bashed-in jersey wall end barriers, strewn parts, etc.

Despite being well marked and modern, every time I go through the 10/17 split on the west 10--every effing time--some idiot can't figure out that they need to take the 10 or the 17 until after it starts splitting, so they fly over the gore area in a cloud of tire chunks and rock debris. How they missed the five previous warnings, I will never understand. But I think IQ is a big part.

I think there is one other thing. It seems as if this kind of last minute lane change BS has gotten much worse since navigation systems and automatic features in cars are so common. It's like people no longer even drive cars or look at a map just as an overview of where they will be going. They just plug in directions and let the computer decide what they do and when, as one computer keeps them in their lane, another computer decides whether to warn them about a blind spot conflict, and a third computer makes sure that traffic ahead doesn't stop to prevent them from piling up every day while they look at Instagram. Pretty sure they don't even read signage for interchanges because the computer is going to tell them which lane to be in (assuming it's up to date). So until the computer tells them or does something for them, they don't do it.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:48 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,758,018 times
Your question has bounced around in my head many times, PhxBarb.

I have a feeling we can blame impairment / distraction in most cases . . . Booze, Drugs or Cell Phones (not necessarily in that order).

Damn shame, isn't it?

Old 11-26-2016, 11:15 AM

576 posts, read 835,763 times
Agree with the previous comments. Distraction - whether it is intoxication, cell phones, or relying on the gps instead of paying attention to signs - people really need to start paying more attention and start making driving a car the focus, rather than an afterthought.

Everyone thinks this will never happen to them.... until it's too late.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:19 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,015,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
It seems as if this kind of last minute lane change BS has gotten much worse since navigation systems and automatic features in cars are so common.
This brings out the rage in me like nothing else and it's happening far too much. These idiots will cut across multiple lanes putting the lives of others in peril because they can't be bothered to drive a mile or less up the freeway to turn around at the next exit. I believe that if someone doing this causes an accident their license should be suspended for a significant chunk of time.

As for the one way drivers, it comes down to stupidity and maybe intoxication. I can understand getting confused by a one way street (I see this all the time living in downtown Phoenix) but there's no excuse to go on the wrong ramp for the freeway.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:38 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,093,551 times
I remember seeing the documentary "Something's Wrong With Aunt Diane" where Diane xxxx
was returning from a camping trip with 3 kids in her van and she plowed into another car on the freeway in NY, killing herself, her two nieces and the 2 men in the car she hit. They never did find out if it was intentional or if she was high on pot. If you haven't seen it, google it. That was the first time I recall seeing news of a wrong way driver.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:30 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,086,066 times
I know some other states (texas, and new mexico) have two way access roads. Not sure if that might have anything to do with it, but with the time when most of these seem to happen, I think definitely intoxicated is a big part of it. The snowbirds are responsible for a few em each year, but not many.

I have met up with one once. I'm pretty sure I was coming back from a late movie, and it was about midnight. I was heading north on I17 halfway about a 1/4 mile south of Glendale rd. I was driving in the left lane with light traffic, (no one in front of me for about a mile, and a few cars within a 1/4 mile behind me). I saw headlights coming up the exit ramp and knew right away they were about to be going the right way, (there had also been a few other wrong way drivers recently). I made a quick cut over three lanes and stopped right in the middle of the exit ramp. I didn't have my phone on me cause the battery was charging or I would have called the police. The guy driving the car pulled so far to his right, that I think he hit his mirror on the concrete barrier that would be on your left when you exit. I sat there for about a minute, and THREE DAMN cars, went right around me (the normal flow of traffic), and just kept on going. In hindsight I would have pulled next to him like I was trying to help him, then pulled out one of my knives and taken out a tire or two. Instead I laid on the horn. I didn't let off of it, and after about another minute they guy who had plenty of room made a 9 point turn to turn around. He then went with the normal traffic east down Glendale rd. Not having my phone, I pulled into the circle K right on the corner, and yelled at the cashier who was outside smoking to call the police. I told him the car description and the direction we were going. He then said, he didn't want to get involved. I wanted to choke him until his eyes popped out for being such a candyass piece of garbage. Instead I called the police and told them what happened real quick. It took 2 minutes, and then I quickly tried to get back on Glendale to catch up to them, but had no luck finding em after a few miles.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:54 PM

19,460 posts, read 27,942,042 times
Compared to the roads in NC, Phoenix was like driving in a safety zone. The wrong way driving occurs regularly, usually without impairment. My husband has done it twice, but caught himself quickly. The lack of street lighting here is horrific. Too few highways and too many winding, back country unlighted roads. Trees block your view. And when you add the frequent rain storms to the mix - UGH.

Honestly, the driving issues, lousy mexican food and ridiculous liqour laws are our biggest complaints since we left phoenix for Raleigh.

We return to Phoenix each year for a visit and are quickly reminded of how good the roads and road system are in the area. You don't know how good you've got it!

Old 11-26-2016, 09:08 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,086,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
I know some other states (texas, and new mexico) have two way access roads. Not sure if that might have anything to do with it, but with the time when most of these seem to happen, I think definitely intoxicated is a big part of it. The snowbirds are responsible for a few em each year, but not many.

I have met up with one once. I'm pretty sure I was coming back from a late movie, and it was about midnight. I was heading north on I17 about a 1/4 mile south of Glendale rd. I was driving in the left lane with light traffic, (no one in front of me for about a mile, and a few cars within a 1/4 mile behind me). I saw headlights coming up the exit ramp and knew right away they were about to be going the WRONG way into traffic, (there had also been a few other wrong way drivers recently). I made a quick cut over three lanes and stopped right in the middle of the exit ramp. I didn't have my phone on me cause the battery was charging or I would have called the police. The guy driving the car pulled so far to his right, that I think he hit his mirror on the concrete barrier that would be on your left when you exit. I sat there for about a minute, and THREE DAMN cars, went right around me (the normal flow of traffic), and just kept on going. In hindsight I would have pulled next to him like I was trying to help him, then pulled out one of my knives and taken out a tire or two. Instead I laid on the horn. I didn't let off of it, and after about another minute they guy who had plenty of room made a 9 point turn to turn around. He then went with the normal traffic east down Glendale rd. Not having my phone, I pulled into the circle K right on the corner, and yelled at the cashier who was outside smoking to call the police. I told him the car description and the direction we were going. He then said, he didn't want to get involved. I wanted to choke him until his eyes popped out for being such a candyass piece of garbage. Instead I called the police and told them what happened real quick. It took 2 minutes, and then I quickly tried to get back on Glendale to catch up to them, but had no luck finding em after a few miles.
fixed

Old 11-26-2016, 10:47 PM

977 posts, read 1,960,631 times
No one has mentioned that the reflectors on the road are reflective red on the back side. If you are going the wrong way, every reflector appears red. You can see this sometimes when going around a curve and your lights hit reflectors on the other side of the highway. You have to be impaired or an utter moron (or both) not to notice those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area