Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 09:53 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Having been to many places around the world that drive on the left (Hong Kong, Thailand, South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Australia, New Zealand and the Falkland Islands) I even noticed people walking on the sidewalk will tend to stay to the left, where as in the US people tend to stay to the right in the direction they are walking.
I've noticed that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 09:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Agree 100%. A person needs to be smashed way beyond the legal limit to not realize very quickly they are driving the wrong way... all of the "Wrong Way" signs in your face, the red reflectors embedded in the road, all of the cars driving the other direction. I don't care how confusing an interchange is, someone with half of their wits will realize it before the accelerate to highway speed. These people are driving in the wrong direction for many miles in some cases.

Also way too many people driving on suspended licenses, with no license, with no insurance. Seems like there should be a better system than what we have today.
I wonder how many actually realize it fairly quickly, but in their impared state are not able to figure out how to get off the freeway so they just panic and keep going?

Old 06-07-2017, 07:49 AM

811 posts, read 622,345 times
Default Wrong Way drivers in Phoenix

After this latest double fatality last night a poster here WENT OFF on all drivers and humans in general who live in the Phoenix area. He's since deleted his thread which was probably one of the more rational decisions he's made recently.

But it did remind me...

Since April 14th not a week goes by that the Richardson sisters don't come into my mind. It's been 7 weeks since Keaton Allison killed them and I still haven't seen any news regarding the results of a toxicology report.

How long does a report typically take in Maricopa County?

Old 06-07-2017, 08:13 AM

770 posts, read 837,624 times
I would venture to say it's more than just alcohol impairment I bet with the rise of pain meds addiction they are mixing it with alcohol. You see what it can do to Tiger Woods you are on another planet. Plus, you can mix in suicide as well especially with the increased media coverage and fatality rate.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:19 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Wrong way drivers are not an AZ only thing. A friend's father in law was killed in such a crash. He was driving drunk and entered a freeway in Iowa going the wrong way and met a semi head on. It happens everywhere, unfortunately.

I do often question the drivers in this state, though. Like last night driving home from work when I was passed in the middle turn lane by someone while driving on a 2 lane residential street. They sped past me and shortly after I pulled up behind them at a red light. A potentially dangerous maneuver allowed him to reach the red light first! He wins!

Old 06-07-2017, 09:24 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
This just makes me sick. It's happening over and over again. What is wrong with these people, other than being stoned or drunk? I now do not think it's the signage or the freeway confusion that makes this so prevalent. It's just disgusting.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:51 AM

6,755 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
This just makes me sick. It's happening over and over again. What is wrong with these people, other than being stoned or drunk? I now do not think it's the signage or the freeway confusion that makes this so prevalent. It's just disgusting.

I agree.

Thinking more about it, I really like Ponderosa's suggestion. GPS is cheap enough and accurate enough to, I think, offer an effective solution that doesn't burden people who are obeying the law. If one enters a ramp going the wrong direction they get an audible/visual warning. At that point one needs to pull over and stop promptly. If not, the car is disabled and police are notified. Unfortunately it will take a long time to roll out, but it's a lot cleaner than other solutions I've seen mentioned.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:57 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I think every case involved impairment. The one last night drove west on the EB 10 for a while before going the wrong way on the 51 ramp. How in the name of heaven can anyone drive down I10 the wrong way at 7pm and not know it?

Old 06-07-2017, 05:43 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times
The director of DPS stated that there have been 740 wrong way drivers reported this year. Not 740 calls about wrong way drivers, but 740 separate incidents, meaning an average of almost 5 per day.The vast majority either self correct or travel the wrong way without incident. 80 percent of wrong way drivers who are caught are/were impaired. I have no idea what's wrong with the 20 percent who aren't impaired. Their licenses should be canceled too.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:58 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
We encountered a wrong way driver in Kansas last year on one of their freeways in a rural area. Lucky for us I saw him in time to pull off into the emergency lane and avoided him. He was going at a high rate of speed and I suspect he had pulled out of the bar up the road, about a mile away, since there were no other businesses for miles beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area