Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 09:13 PM

576 posts, read 836,332 times

Advertisements

As much as I love driving, I am forced to concede that we need to move forward with driverless cars. There are a lot of variables that are feeding the wrong way driving crisis we are facing, but our society is not willing to take hard action against those variables, so done properly, I believe driverless cars could have a huge impact on not only wrong way crashes, but many others as well.

For those who have not heard, last night's incident on the 51 prompted Gov. Ducey today to call for action on this problem (not sure how much good it will do):

Doug Ducey speaks out after 17th wrong-way crash in Phoenix area - ABC15 Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 07:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,081,321 times
One has to ask "what in the design of our roadways is causing this to happen with such frequency?". There are freeways/highways all over this nation as well as the world AND there are impaired drivers all over as well, it seems we in AZ are the leaders in wrong way drivers.
Why isn't this happening elsewhere as frequently?

Old 06-08-2017, 08:23 AM

772 posts, read 841,580 times
The increase in the wrong drivers coincides with pain meds and heroine increase. I would venture to say they are now mixing alcohol with fentanyl they are zombies. They need to start releasing toxicology reports on these drivers.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,081,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
The increase in the wrong drivers coincides with pain meds and heroine increase. I would venture to say they are now mixing alcohol with fentanyl they are zombies. They need to start releasing toxicology reports on these drivers.
So then why is it not happening all over? Are you saying AZ is the only place where opioids are being used or that somehow it's worse in AZ?
I think attempting to drop this on the current "headline news" about drug abuse is a shot in the dark and a miss...

Old 06-08-2017, 05:42 PM

551 posts, read 696,089 times
I think some of it is the 'copycat' subconscious phenomenon where when one type of crime is observed that was never observed before, suddenly it becomes common. This has obviously, also happened from fictions where the term was coined from, so what if the mere incidence of it happening is making it happen more often?

Also the GPS option isn't viable, it won't work for all vehicles. The sensors on certain ramps where incidence seems to be higher is a far better option. But don't think any of this comes without great cost to taxpayers.

One thing we can all do as a community is make sure that our elderly are taking community or family driven driving options, and to make sure that drivers who are potentially in an altered state due to drugs are shamed from ever even considering taking to the road.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:20 PM

811 posts, read 625,490 times
I can't think of a more deadly weapon than an automobile or truck going 65mph in the wrong direction.

Solution?

Remote controlled anti-tank guns mounted on all freeway off ramps. Sensors pick up a vehicle going the wrong direction.

Bye-Bye deadly weapon.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:53 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,779,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Calling BS. It would take extra effort to go the wrong way on the freeway here, and you would notice you're on the wrong side of the road unless you were so intoxicated, but then how'd you navigate to get yourself in that position?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I think this has a lot to do with cloverleaf off/on ramps that many states have vs what AZ has.
Take CA for example, when you get off a freeway and continue to go under an overpass then make a right turn you're getting back on the freeway in the opposite direction. In AZ you'd be going the wrong way. I think when someone is impaired either due to lack of sleep or DUI this could make it harder to realize where you are and revert back to old traffic habits.
I'd bet that has a whole bunch to do with what's going on.
I know when I first moved here it was very unnatural for me to turn left to get on a freeway.
Exactly Jimj, Arizona is the only state of the 30 I've been to so far that makes it so easy to just jump on the freeway, most on-ramps do not work this way. Additionally there are no wrong way driver tire poppers that most interstate on ramps have. Super easy fix that could of prevented the 1600 wrong way driving incidents reported in AZ in 2016 .

Old 06-09-2017, 07:41 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,385,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Additionally there are no wrong way driver tire poppers that most interstate on ramps have. Super easy fix that could of prevented the 1600 wrong way driving incidents reported in AZ in 2016 .
"Wrong way driver tire poppers", I have driven in 40 different states and probably over 250,000 miles in my lifetime (have driven across the country 5 times), and I don't ever recall seeing those on any of the interstates that I have traveled on, I'm not saying they don't exist, but maybe I'm blind!

Old 06-09-2017, 07:45 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Exactly Jimj, Arizona is the only state of the 30 I've been to so far that makes it so easy to just jump on the freeway, most on-ramps do not work this way. Additionally there are no wrong way driver tire poppers that most interstate on ramps have. Super easy fix that could of prevented the 1600 wrong way driving incidents reported in AZ in 2016 .
I just don't get how a driver can be that stupid. Almost every freeway interchange is the same structure here with signs and arrows. What we have is a literacy problem.

I have never in my decades living here ever been put in a position where I could possibly go down a highway in the wrong direction. I can't even conceive of it because it's so ridiculous.

I'd be concerned as the States insurer since they're all but admitting there's a road design issue. Road design=culpability in subsequent wrongful death lawsuits.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:43 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,332,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
"Wrong way driver tire poppers", I have driven in 40 different states and probably over 250,000 miles in my lifetime (have driven across the country 5 times), and I don't ever recall seeing those on any of the interstates that I have traveled on, I'm not saying they don't exist, but maybe I'm blind!
I have never seen them on interstate, either. They are usually in parking lots or exits to state parks, etc.

Those wrong way tire poppers would not work due to the speeds of cars going on the on ramps (or technically off ramps since they are going the wrong way!) This has been discussed many times by the media as this is always the first thing people suggest.

What is the best option so far, and is being seriously considered would be signs that light up as a driver approaches the wrong way, and a camera to take a photo of the car that would go immediately to the police to alert them that someone has entered the freeway the wrong way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area