Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 07:48 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,846,809 times

Advertisements

SpeedingEurope | Norway or SpeedingEurope | Sweden or https://www.theatlantic.com/business...ticket/387484/ these are for speeding however I think wrong way driving penalties would be even worse. NM has the same problems as AZ. The judicial system needs to get serious about penalties in the form of $$$$ and prison time. And don't tell me about overcrowded prisons...build MORE of them. As the population of an area grows we build more of most everything, however, somewhere in the logic of the average politician they seem to think crime numbers will remain constant. Wrong...crime numbers will increase as a % of the population increase, thus the need for more prisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 08:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
SpeedingEurope | Norway or SpeedingEurope | Sweden or https://www.theatlantic.com/business...ticket/387484/ these are for speeding however I think wrong way driving penalties would be even worse. NM has the same problems as AZ. The judicial system needs to get serious about penalties in the form of $$$$ and prison time. And don't tell me about overcrowded prisons...build MORE of them. As the population of an area grows we build more of most everything, however, somewhere in the logic of the average politician they seem to think crime numbers will remain constant. Wrong...crime numbers will increase as a % of the population increase, thus the need for more prisons.
It seems like a good number of wrong way drivers are killed, so how are stiffer penalties going to help? You can't send them to prison if they are dead.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:20 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,623,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It seems like a good number of wrong way drivers are killed, so how are stiffer penalties going to help? You can't send them to prison if they are dead.
Put 'em in prison if they don't die.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Put 'em in prison if they don't die.
Because it seems that the wrong way drivers obviously don't realize they are doing it, I don't think jail time is going to deter anyone. It's not like some drunk person about to get on the freeway the wrong way is going to stop and say "Oh, wait, I could go to prison if I do this. I better get on the freeway the right way!"

The penalties won't scare anyone because they don't realize they are doing anything wrong.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:49 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
How about using drones to shoot out the tires of these bastards? I'm generally against using drones for police work, but this could be a good use of them.
That's a good suggestion. I'd say shoot at the bastards themselves, not just their tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Because it seems that the wrong way drivers obviously don't realize they are doing it, I don't think jail time is going to deter anyone. It's not like some drunk person about to get on the freeway the wrong way is going to stop and say "Oh, wait, I could go to prison if I do this. I better get on the freeway the right way!"

The penalties won't scare anyone because they don't realize they are doing anything wrong.
How could they possibly not realize they're driving the wrong way when they see headlights coming at them?! This attitude is about the same as saying, "well they don't know right from wrong" when referring to underage kids who commit crimes. Of course they know right from wrong! And if these wrong way drivers are intoxicated, what business do they have operating a moving vehicle in the first place? Something in their warped minds should tell them what they're doing is blatantly stupid & dangerous.

This is the problem with these wrong way drivers: it's not that they're too intoxicated to realize what they're doing, it's that they don't care about themselves or anybody else in their path. They have no regard for human life, and they obviously don't care if they victimize other drivers with their asinine stupidity. Frankly, I really don't care if the wrong way drivers kill themselves off ... I just hate to hear about innocent drivers in their path being killed or seriously injured!

Old 07-28-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
That's a good suggestion. I'd say shoot at the bastards themselves, not just their tires.

How could they possibly not realize they're driving the wrong way when they see headlights coming at them?! This attitude is about the same as saying, "well they don't know right from wrong" when referring to underage kids who commit crimes. Of course they know right from wrong! And if these wrong way drivers are intoxicated, what business do they have operating a moving vehicle in the first place? Something in their warped minds should tell them what they're doing is blatantly stupid & dangerous.

This is the problem with these wrong way drivers: it's not that they're too intoxicated to realize what they're doing, it's that they don't care about themselves or anybody else in their path. They have no regard for human life, and they obviously don't care if they victimize other drivers with their asinine stupidity. Frankly, I really don't care if the wrong way drivers kill themselves off ... I just hate to hear about innocent drivers in their path being killed or seriously injured!
Unless they are suicidal, of course they don't know they have entered the freeway going the wrong way. They likely figure it out once they do see those headlights coming at them, but by then it's usually too late. No one is going to do that on purpose unless they are drunk or have a death wish. I never said they don't know right from wrong. There is a difference.

People drive ridiculously over the legal limit all the time, unfortunately, because they believe they are fine to drive. We already have some of the strictest DUI laws in the country, yet people still drive drunk. More laws isn't going to stop them and tough jail time isn't going to stop wrong way drivers.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:43 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,265,377 times
This is an expensive and probably unpopular idea, but if the problem continues to get worse and the wrong-way drivers continue to terrorize the same strip to the 101, you can put up toll booths on the offramps and charge a small toll that can be used to pay for the booths and manning them. You put a gate on the booths so no one can shoot through the wrong way, and if someone tries to ram the gate you can deputize the booth personnel to shoot the tires out.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:07 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
This is an expensive and probably unpopular idea, but if the problem continues to get worse and the wrong-way drivers continue to terrorize the same strip to the 101, you can put up toll booths on the offramps and charge a small toll that can be used to pay for the booths and manning them. You put a gate on the booths so no one can shoot through the wrong way, and if someone tries to ram the gate you can deputize the booth personnel to shoot the tires out.
No I'm not turning our freeways into toll roads on account of these idiots.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:26 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,633,687 times
Quote:
ADOT would need to reconfigure almost every on/off ramp for this to work. The ramps would need to be widened for the installation of toll booths and to accommodate all the backed up traffic waiting to get through the toll.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,083,160 times
NEW Solution !!!

Arizona aims to combat wrong-way driving with new technology | Local news | tucson.com

Do you think it will work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area