Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:40 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Certainly something should be done. Alerting other drivers seems like a good idea, giving people a chance to exit the highway. I'm doubtful the flashing warning signs will have any impact, though.
Change the traffic flow to require semis to drive in the car pool lanes from midnight until 4 am. There is a better chance that any wrong ways get what they have coming to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 08:41 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Certainly something should be done. Alerting other drivers seems like a good idea, giving people a chance to exit the highway. I'm doubtful the flashing warning signs will have any impact, though.
I read where Missouri, I think, greatly reduced the number of wrong ways by lowering the wrong way signs to down near ground level. Apparently drunk drivers focus on what is right in front of them.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:19 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
ADOT ought to invest in those wrong-way spokes you see in parking garages.
This is suggested and explained away not less than 5 other times in this thread and every time this happens.

ADOTs official stance is that the spikes are not durable enough because of the constant traffic flow and varying vehicle sizes (semis, tractors, etc.)

Old 07-22-2017, 01:42 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
This is suggested and explained away not less than 5 other times in this thread and every time this happens.

ADOTs official stance is that the spikes are not durable enough because of the constant traffic flow and varying vehicle sizes (semis, tractors, etc.)
And emergency vehicles use the ramps to access the freeway the wrong way

Old 07-22-2017, 04:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,083,160 times
My dumb idea is some sort of a motion activated gate that would not allow the idiots to go into the free way the wrong way but would allow others to exit without problem. It would have to ZIP closed really fast for the enterers and ZIP open for the exiters. That's all I came up with.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:20 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,316,397 times
The toxicology test came back for the wrong way driver that killed himself and 2 sisters back in April. His blood alcohol level was .25

Quote:

He was driving 15 mph above the speed limit and without headlights, and minutes before the crash, he almost hit another car while driving the wrong way on an exit ramp, according to an Arizona Department of Public Safety report.

Report: Wrong-way driver who killed 2 sisters, self had high BAC level

Old 07-26-2017, 02:43 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
They seem to happen much more frequently on the east side of town compared to the West Valley freeways. Just more traffic and more confusing on/off ramps on that side of town I guess?

Well, several have been on the 17 in Phoenix, which has straightforward on and off ramps (so does the 101 in Scottsdale for the most part, too). The west side portion of the 10 has seen one or two as well.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:37 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,089,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
My dumb idea is some sort of a motion activated gate that would not allow the idiots to go into the free way the wrong way but would allow others to exit without problem. It would have to ZIP closed really fast for the enterers and ZIP open for the exiters. That's all I came up with.

My take is that the errant vehicle really needs to be stopped. It is admittedly a tall order, but I'm skeptical that any of the other remedies proposed would be very effective.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:12 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,265,377 times
How about using drones to shoot out the tires of these bastards? I'm generally against using drones for police work, but this could be a good use of them.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:45 AM

10 posts, read 16,978 times
Unfortunately the wrong-way driver is yet another signal of the burgeoning idiocracy.

Sadly, even if we can get wrong-ways controlled, the median declining-IQ will simply stumble upon another way to hurt themselves and others.

I weep for future generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area