Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 04:51 PM

24 posts, read 87,236 times

Advertisements

I want some ideas of GREAT areas to live in my husband MAY get sent there for his job at the Airport. ( Sky Harbour INTL)
We live in Vegas now. We can afford between 1000 -1100 on rent.
We dont want any ghetto areas, we live in the ghetto now and I am NOT doing that again. with my husbands raise we can afford so much more.
Thanks in advance.
We are also looking at Tempe and Mesa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 08:21 PM

382 posts, read 1,356,930 times
Depends on what your definition of ideal is I suppose. Do you have kids? Is it just you two? Are you looking for a specific social scene? Have you thought about buying a house? How many rooms/bathrooms are you looking for? It really can be hit or miss with the ghetto out here.

I personally like North Central Phoenix. It's relatively quiet and the people are really nice around the neighborhood. On an average day it usually takes 20 minutes to get to the airport, however I don't know what the commute would be in the early morning going in or going out in the evening. I imagine not so great no matter where you live as congestion during peak traffic hours can be high around the airport. Certain areas of Chandler would probably be nice too.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:27 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,525,152 times
How long do you want to commute? I work VERY close to the airport, live in Estrella in Goodyear (great place to live, btw), and drive 40-45 minutes each way.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times
I would look at South Scottsdale, Ahwatukee or Tempe. Parts of East Phoenix and West Mesa can be pretty undesirable. Also avoid South Phoenix. The West Valley can be much more affordable than the East Valley, just not sure if you would want that commute.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:08 PM

Thanks we have a 9 month old so we need 2 bed. It isnt a permanent move so no not looking to buy a house. Maybe rent one but not buy.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:51 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
I think you should look at Tempe, north central Phoenix, Ahwatukee. I'm not sure what the other poster meant by "south Scottsdale", but that is not a particularly nice area, as I define it. Not "ghetto", but you can do better.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:37 AM

Thanks! I found a couple nice palces in Tempe well they look nice LOL. Once we find out exactly if we are going there then we are going to drive to look at them.
Thanks again!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:02 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I think you should look at Tempe, north central Phoenix, Ahwatukee. I'm not sure what the other poster meant by "south Scottsdale", but that is not a particularly nice area, as I define it. Not "ghetto", but you can do better.
South Scottsdale property values have actually held quite well. The houses may be older, but it's still a very desirable place to live, and thus there is very little of the criminal element. In fact, there are MANY parts of Tempe that are worse than South Scottsdale.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,213,425 times
Try the areas up around NE Phoenix/North Scottsdale. If you look on a map, find the top of the 101 freeway where it "loops" from going north/south to going east/west. Areas around Scottsdale Airpark, Desert Ridge, Paradise Valley Mall, and Kierland. $1100 may be a "stretch" in most of the apartments for a 2BR, but typically they provide first year "incentives" (ie prorating months free) which may bring you into your desired price range.

Commute to Sky Harbor would depend on exactly what time of day. With low traffic, I can get from this area to Sky Harbor in 20-25 minutes. (Tho if he would be doing rush hour commute, I would definitely prefer 101->51 to the airport rather than 101 straight down. I've had much better experiences on the 51 during the day to Sky Harbor-the 101 was a parking lot the few times I tried it anywhere close to rush hour.)

This part of town is very nice. There are a lot of golf courses and resorts, movie theaters, shopping, etc.

Good luck and congratulations on your move!

Old 01-18-2010, 03:48 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,396,149 times
I second the area recommended by ivana. I live in the area and find lots of things to do for entertainment. I pay $1100 per month to rent a 3bdr home with a large yard in a very nice community. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area