Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:19 PM

6 posts, read 9,833 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! We are contemplating a move to the Phoenix/surrounding area within the next 6 months or so. I was just wondering if there are any nice smaller communities that anyone is familiar with that surround this area? Does anyone know about Surprise, Bisbee, or Sun City? Could these areas be considered 'smaller' in nature? Also, we are looking for reasonable communities as far as cost of living...not million dollars homes...lol! Thank you so much for any advice you may be able to give Oh, and just a note...the town does not have to be super exciting or anything...just more family oriented.

Last edited by observer53; 09-07-2011 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
In Phoenix, you can only have the illusion of small town life. You can get that in some of the exurbs that have a physical separation from the city. The ones I am familiar with are Anthem, Vistancia, Verrado and Estrella which are all master planned communities on the edges (I am sure there are others) and then maybe Queen Creek or Casa Grande which are small towns on the fringes. These places are all pretty much just Phoenix bedrooms and the illusion goes away in a hurry when you leave them.

One thing I will give Phoenix is that it is what I call the "uncity". In spite of the huge population and footprint it does not feel like a real city. It is more like a big suburb of a city. People who live here don't really have to venture far from home. Everything from parks, to malls, to restaurants is repeated over and over again like a big rubber stamp was put down. So it is possible to live in your own neighborhood just about anywhere and not even realize that there are millions out there.

Bisbee is a small town in SE AZ with no economy and is not family oriented - mainly old hippies and retirees. Sun City is a retirement development. Surprise is a suburb that is part of the Phoenix metro.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 PM

800 posts, read 1,913,893 times
Surprise sounds like the way to go. It is a modern, fast-growing city with lots of shopping, restaurants, and other social infrastructure, yet the housing costs are very reasonable. Sun City is NOT a family-oriented city - it is age-restricted. Anthem, Vistancia (in North Peoria), and Estrella Mountain Ranch (south Goodyear) are nice master-planned communities if you want to be away from the hustle-bustle of the city, but you may find yourself driving into the city for shopping and dining.

Best of luck with your move!

Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 PM

19,455 posts, read 27,902,603 times
A better approach might be to tell us what you are looking for - the towns/cities you have mentioned are all over the map - literally and figuratively.

How do you define "small?" Will you be coming here to retire or will you be working? Do you have small children, so that school systems would be important.

And if you are even considering moving here without a job - stop thinking about it.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
You don't say anything about employment issues. This is a VERY spread out place, and where you live needs to be largely dictated by where you work. If you've never been here before, you really need to come and visit to get a better idea of what the metro area is like. The post above about the communities on the fringes being the only ones that might give you a bit of that "smaller" feel is about right. Casa Grande is a bit further away; although many make the 35 mile plus commute every day, I don't really consider it part of the Phoenix area. If you don't have to work in the Phoenix area, it's an option. Otherwise, the commute is too much, in my opinion.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:01 PM

6 posts, read 9,833 times
We are willing to commute. Job secured...transfer. We are a family with two children ages 13 and 6 so, yes, school is quite important. Another important note, perhaps, is that we lived in Scottsdale about 14 years ago and ended up moving East due to a job offer. Now we are ready to go back. I realize that times have changed since we lived there, and we are not interested in moving back to Scottsdale...a little too Beverly Hilly' for us! So as far as the areas that I mentioned previously, I do realize that they are spread out in different areas, but we are willing to make a reasonable commute. I guess that I forgot about Sun City being totally age restricted lol, so that is obviously out!

Old 09-07-2011, 02:06 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,245,456 times
what is the general location of the job and what do you consider a "reasonable commute"

Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 PM

19,455 posts, read 27,902,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
what is the general location of the job and what do you consider a "reasonable commute"
Better if you define "reasonable commute" in time rather than miles.

Also, what is your budget?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,245,456 times
yeah - time is definitely better than miles ... that's what I was thinking, so thanks for the clarification

Old 09-07-2011, 02:35 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,062,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midmod View Post
I guess that I forgot about Sun City being totally age restricted lol, so that is obviously out!
Sun City is an unincorporated area of Maricopa County. Most of it is age restricted, but not all of it. Click HERE and view the map to see where the homes are that aren't age restricted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area