Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 01:02 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,579,208 times

Advertisements

Hello people, my mom is down in the Phoenix area looking at houses. Things fell through with a different house so now we're broadening our horizons. We're looking for information about how safe these areas are:
  • 85032 - Phoenix. East of the 51, west of 36th st, between thunderbird and hearn.
  • 85234 - Gilbert. South of baseline, between highley and recker.
  • 85295 - Gilbert. Squared in by williams field, recker, pecos, and highley. Can you hear the train from there and if so, is it a nuisance?
  • 85295 - Gilbert. Area by val vista and williams field.

I'd really appreciate if people could get back at me as soon as possible, as my mom's on limited time over there and would like to see as much as possible.

Thanks so much, in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 01:08 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,286,627 times
Those all seem like safe areas. I don't know about the train noise, but I would imagine if you were at least 1/2 mile from the tracks it wouldn't be an issue. The area in Phoenix is not at all like the others, since it is in a more established area with mountain views. The Gilbert areas are newer, and of the Gilbert locations, I like the Val Vista/Williams Field the best. That area is about a mile West of the Santan Village Mall and Power Center.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Those all seem like safe areas. I don't know about the train noise, but I would imagine if you were at least 1/2 mile from the tracks it wouldn't be an issue. The area in Phoenix is not at all like the others, since it is in a more established area with mountain views. The Gilbert areas are newer, and of the Gilbert locations, I like the Val Vista/Williams Field the best. That area is about a mile West of the Santan Village Mall and Power Center.
Ok perfect, thanks for the quick reply! The reason the Phoenix one is thrown into the mix is because I found a house within the price range we're looking for (plus other criteria such as it's newer, etc) when looking on ziprealty.

The house we originally wanted is kind of a Godsend that it fell through. When we thought about it, it's just kind of far away.

We were also looking at the Desert Ridge, or at least very close to the 101/51 split, but we're not coming up with anything below $250k that's newer and has enough room. I take it that it must be an expensive area, so I quit looking around there.

If there's any other advice anyone wants to throw on, please feel free.

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2010, 02:37 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,749,842 times
That Phoenix neighborhood is not very nice. To get a feel for the socio-economic character of the place, the two elementary schools (Indian Bend and Arrowhead) are Title I schools, as is one of the two middle schools (Greenway). A Title I school is a school where at least 40% of the students in the attendance area from low income families. The definition is a little more complicated but that is the basic idea.

I have lived in the Valley since the late 70s and have been to Gilbert something like twice, so I can't help you there.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
That Phoenix neighborhood is not very nice. To get a feel for the socio-economic character of the place, the two elementary schools (Indian Bend and Arrowhead) are Title I schools, as is one of the two middle schools (Greenway). A Title I school is a school where at least 40% of the students in the attendance area from low income families. The definition is a little more complicated but that is the basic idea.

I have lived in the Valley since the late 70s and have been to Gilbert something like twice, so I can't help you there.
It's very interesting, cuz every area that I look at in the city of Phoenix itself is either:
Too far away
In a bad area
Too old of a house
Or too expensive

I can honestly say that you can't find much decent now in Phoenix city limits without it being super expensive or super far away. =/

Old 01-22-2010, 09:12 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,182,456 times
Too far from what?

I would venture to say that in most big cities the closer you are to the central downtown area, the older the homes are. Phoenix is no exception. If you want a newer home you are going to have to look in the outskirts or newly built areas. Older neighborhoods do not mean unsafe or bad, just older.

You seem to have locked in on Gilbert. While that is not bad, there are other nice affordable areas. Surprise, Chandler, Goodyear, some parts of North & West Phoenix, Peoria, Mesa all come to mind.

If you need to be in Gilbert because of a job or family, expand your search to a reasonable commute.

Once again, I will recommend finding a good REALTOR who can do most of the leg work for you. Your mom will spend her whole visit driving around looking at homes that you can't purchase for one reason or another. Realtors have access to a lot more information than you do and they will have the expertise to get the job done.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Too far from what?

I would venture to say that in most big cities the closer you are to the central downtown area, the older the homes are. Phoenix is no exception. If you want a newer home you are going to have to look in the outskirts or newly built areas. Older neighborhoods do not mean unsafe or bad, just older.

You seem to have locked in on Gilbert. While that is not bad, there are other nice affordable areas. Surprise, Chandler, Goodyear, some parts of North & West Phoenix, Peoria, Mesa all come to mind.

If you need to be in Gilbert because of a job or family, expand your search to a reasonable commute.

Once again, I will recommend finding a good REALTOR who can do most of the leg work for you. Your mom will spend her whole visit driving around looking at homes that you can't purchase for one reason or another. Realtors have access to a lot more information than you do and they will have the expertise to get the job done.
Well, I was thinking too far from everything. Though I do like the West Valley, I do like the proximity of things in the East Valley. Family would be in the East Valley, and all the things we'd like to do are mainly in the East Valley. Proximity to Central Phoenix, Tempe, and Scottsdale would be nice. Though being on the fringes of Gilbert kind of contradicts that.

We have connections to a realtor down there who will be able to find a lot of stuff for us. I haven't talked to my mom much while she's been down there, but I do believe she's gotten in touch with the realtor. I do agree it would probably be best for the realtor to look at stuff for us, as it would really help save a lot of time, and they would be able to find us what we're primarily looking for.

I know this sounds like a very noobish question, but what are some nice areas of Mesa to consider that aren't all too far east (close proximity to Tempe would be nice, if it's nice out that way in Mesa)? Thank you.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:04 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,073,730 times
if you have your heart set on Desert Ridge, you may be able to find something for your desired <$250K...it's a large area with lots of cookie-cutter developments and many in foreclosure/short sale status, I hear....still, it's not a bad area....you'll need a car for even a gallon of milk, though....convenient location....get that realtor to look around there.....

I'd stay away from the 85032 zipcode....

keep looking....there are many hidden gems all around....don't buy in a newer, typical tract home area on the fringe areas of urban development....these newer subdivisions are where most of the foreclosures are, I think, so will languish for years.....just my opinion

Old 01-23-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
if you have your heart set on Desert Ridge, you may be able to find something for your desired <$250K...it's a large area with lots of cookie-cutter developments and many in foreclosure/short sale status, I hear....still, it's not a bad area....you'll need a car for even a gallon of milk, though....convenient location....get that realtor to look around there.....

I'd stay away from the 85032 zipcode....

keep looking....there are many hidden gems all around....don't buy in a newer, typical tract home area on the fringe areas of urban development....these newer subdivisions are where most of the foreclosures are, I think, so will languish for years.....just my opinion
Very true about the tract homes on the fringes. I wouldn't want that, but my mom is finding the best house deals there with at least a decent yard.

I just wish there were better house deals closer to where everything is. Looking at Ziprealty, I can't find anything within a decent area that's not on the fringes of the valley. =/

Old 01-23-2010, 11:02 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,869,225 times
Do you need a house right now in this big hurry....is it feasible to find something to rent, scope things out when not rushed, then buy something when you get a feel, rather than in and out of town in a hurry? Just a thought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area