Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:27 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times

Advertisements

Sun City has been ridiculed from time to time over the years because of the age demographic ... and criticized because it generally doesn't allow children. All I can say is that the older population has helped to keep the place prisitine. Often, an older community like that in the west Valley would be peppered with run down houses, graffiti, crime, and drug labs. But Sun City residents care about their neighborhoods look because they take pride. Allowing younger crowds inside the Sun Cities would ruin it all. Besides, many senior citizens enjoy being around people their own age. Many of them worked hard, served their country, and raised familes ... now they want a break from all of that, and they deserve a community of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 01:07 PM
HCC

88 posts, read 290,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I didn't even know there were 3 Sun City places, so thanks.
Does anyone have an opinion on which has the most activities/amenities and is considered "nicer?" I'm very active and social, so this is important.

Hi. My grandparents began going out to Sun City in the winters in the late 60s and eventually moved there in the early 70s. My family and I have been going out to visit them for over 4 decades now, so I think I have some insight into this. My grandfather was a friend of Del Webb, the founder and developer of Sun City and they were both very social and involved in the community and had many friends who lived in both SC and SCW.

What caused the SC vs SCW thing in the first place? Several factors:

-Sun City is more diverse economically speaking. It was built in 3 phases, so by the late 80s, the original residents of Phase I had either died or moved and more lower income seniors moved into that area. Some of Phase II was built concurrent with much of Phase III and Phase III was built pretty much along side SCW. Phases II and III have remained pretty stable, have better rec centers than Phase I and tend to be higher income. Union Hills Country Club is probably the most exclusive CC in SC, though that is splitting hairs really. Palmbrook is nice too.

-Every element in both SC and SCW was planned to a tee, so there are specific sections laid out for retail, churches, golf clubs, etc... Sun City built out fast and it was a developer's goldmine. They were anxious to cash in and so SCW was quickly developed. The developers had figured out that just because people were retiring, they weren't all looking for low maintenance, one level housing. So they designed more 2 story houses and since SCW is newer, the designs reflect more of a 1980s sensibility, rather than a 1970s. One very good upgrade to many SCW houses is red tile roofing.

-In addition to upgraded designs, SCW got a synagogue, which was not included in the layout of SC. Which is odd because there are a number of Jewish residents within SC. However, with the addition of the synagogue, SCW became known as a Jewish enclave (mostly coming from California, rather than the Midwest) and with that came a more cosmopolitan reputation.

-The Sun Cities Museum of Art debacle. Things became heated over where this museum would go. SC argued it should go to SC, as it is the largest and most prominent of the 2. SCW argued it should go to them because they still had land to build it on, etc...ect...etc... Tensions were so high that my grandmother bowed out of the initial committee. It was decided the museum would go in between, in Surprise. It was renamed the West Valley Art Museum and the building (though not the sad collection) was auctioned off 2 years ago for a pittance and they are searching for a new home). This added to the rivalry.

-The original wave of people moving to the Sun Cities were mostly "Lost Generation"/Depression folks. They weren't very hung up on social status and so SC was SC and SCW was her latest counterpart. By the early 90s, a new generation was relocating and with them came more of the in and out mentality. I remember a woman telling me, "My sister lives in SCW." I said, "Oh really? My grandparents live in SC." And she got very serious and said, "Honey, listen you can't compare the 2--SCW is VERY different!" ("Oh really!" I thought to myself) "No...they're about the same, a nickels difference." And she shouted, "NO THEY ARE NOT!!! SCW IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT PLACE!!!" So, I guess, particularly amongst Jewish residents, SCW is slightly up on the social rung.

Economic diversity, regional and ethnic/religious affiliations, old rivalries and silly hair splitting have created some real or imagined differences between the 2 Sun Cities, socially speaking.

The truth is, both Sun Cities must work together for the future success of either development. If Sun City is allowed to go to pot, SCW will eventually go with it. Housing prices will drop very quickly.

Objectively speaking, SCW, being the newer kid on the block, is somewhat nicer. Red tiled roofs, newer housing stock, better layout and somewhat better landscaping, make it more visually appealing than SC. Some have suggested that SCW, being smaller, is easier to keep up and therefore, better maintained. SCW has an AJs, which is an upscale grocery store with a lot of gourmet food items. SC had a Trader Joe's for a long time, though they've relocated. It all comes down to hair splitting.

I will say this, SC, being much larger, has access to more facilities. As a resident, you have access to 7, rather than 2 recreation centers in SCW. They have far more activities and clubs to join in SC, than in SCW. More shopping choices and being closer in to Phoenix, better access to shopping and services outside of the Sun Cities. With the new Agua Fria FWY/Loop 101, you can be in Scottsdale in 20 minutes for some 'real' shopping. SC's diversity (I must laugh because it is SO NOT diverse) has the advantage of meeting all sorts of people, with different life experiences, hailing from all over the country and world. More sponsored trips originate in/out of SC, rather than SCW. SC offers free concerts, sports teams, a multitude of public/private golf courses and a number of country clubs. They also have parks, waterfalls, man made lakes, picnicking areas in abundance. SCW has some of those amenities, but on a much smaller scale. SCW boasts about having the Sun Dome performance center, which is, sadly, on its last leg. However, if there is a concert you want to attend, it is a short 10 minute drive from SC. SC's population is 45,000 to SCW's 14,000.

All in all, they both have their benefits and drawbacks. While SC may have a few more drawbacks, the benefits certainly outweigh those. I would say over all, SCW is slightly, slightly more upscale. Visit both and decide for yourself.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:33 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Note that this thread is from 2010. The OP made a decision. Useful info, though, for future inquiries.

Last edited by observer53; 05-27-2011 at 02:29 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,245 times
Question - I'm considering purchasing a Sun City (Del Webb-built) in the very southwestern area of the original Sun City (just east of W. Olive Ave./N. 107th St. intersection) and am curious about the safety of this neighborhood (due to its proximity to Youngtown - a somewhat 'tough' area, I'm told). It looks fine; nicely maintained, etc., but looks can be deceiving. The home was built in 1968, has a great floorplan and looks like new but I need more neighborhood information. Also, I do not drive any longer, and I'm concerned about what dial-a-ride facilities are available. I currently have available a service named 'Access' which is available 24/7 with day before scheduling notice required to ride - cost is $2.25/ride (i.e. $4.50 roundtrip). I use this service for shopping, groceries, medical appointments, social functions and so forth. Is anything comparable available in this section of Sun City? I don't see any mass-transit in this neighborhood.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridhard Jones View Post
Question - I'm considering purchasing a Sun City (Del Webb-built) in the very southwestern area of the original Sun City (just east of W. Olive Ave./N. 107th St. intersection) and am curious about the safety of this neighborhood (due to its proximity to Youngtown - a somewhat 'tough' area, I'm told). It looks fine; nicely maintained, etc., but looks can be deceiving. The home was built in 1968, has a great floorplan and looks like new but I need more neighborhood information. Also, I do not drive any longer, and I'm concerned about what dial-a-ride facilities are available. I currently have available a service named 'Access' which is available 24/7 with day before scheduling notice required to ride - cost is $2.25/ride (i.e. $4.50 roundtrip). I use this service for shopping, groceries, medical appointments, social functions and so forth. Is anything comparable available in this section of Sun City? I don't see any mass-transit in this neighborhood.

Found this on the transportation issue. Our Services There may be some other options available. As far as the safety of the area, I've never heard Youngtown described as a problem area. I think you will be fine.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:40 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridhard Jones View Post
There is a website, Spot Crime, SpotCrime Crime Map where you can enter an address to see activity in that vicinity. I spoke with the Sheriff's Posse in SC about crime in the community and was informed it has increased, many perps coming in from the Phx area. Some are 'crimes of convenience, meaning people leave garage doors open, houses unlocked, cars unlocked or with keys left in, items in the car in view that thieves want. Using common sense helps many to not be a victim, and some times no matter what we could end up a victim.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
There is a website, Spot Crime, SpotCrime Crime Map where you can enter an address to see activity in that vicinity. I spoke with the Sheriff's Posse in SC about crime in the community and was informed it has increased, many perps coming in from the Phx area. Some are 'crimes of convenience, meaning people leave garage doors open, houses unlocked, cars unlocked or with keys left in, items in the car in view that thieves want. Using common sense helps many to not be a victim, and some times no matter what we could end up a victim.
Excellent post, with really good advice for everyone in any area.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:42 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
OK, it's 2012 and I just found these posts; but, wow! what a great load of information and input by all...so helpful! Thanks to all, and this should really help those in the future who are looking to move here.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:20 PM

75 posts, read 212,707 times
Thanks everyone for all of the good information.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 AM

75 posts, read 212,707 times
I noticed a lot of burglaries around Grand and 99th on the crime map website. Is this a bad area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area