Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,328,827 times

Advertisements

Isn't it funny how some people will instantly label speeding as a "criminal" act ... but then will suddenly turn into bleeding heart pansy liberals when it comes to executing the REAL criminals (e.g. murderers). Seems like many of the same types who want to nab all the speeders are the same ones who want to coddle evil kids who kill their own fathers ... or defend pedophiles like Michael Jackson ... or cheer on celebrity miscreants like OJ Simpson & Robert Blake who got away with murder (literally)!

Just an FYI: speeding is generally not a criminal act unless it becomes excessive (such driving 20 or more MPH over the posted limit). Doing five or ten over the limit in the left lane on a freeway is the norm during good weather & non peak traffic times. Anybody who insists on remaining in the left lane while moving at a slower rate of speed than the flow of traffic would be the true violator according to the Arizona traffic laws! I hope this clears it up a little ... especially for the transplants & snowbirds (and you know who you are)!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:09 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,649,286 times
I admit-I speed all the time. But theres a time and place for it. The fast lane on the freeway is a good time. going 45 in a business zone is acceptable. Tearing through a school zone is not. I hate people that tear through neighborhoods, obviously that is not a place to be driving too fast.
I don't like cameras on the freeway-but in town....maybe its ok b/c theres a lot of bad drivers out there and pedestrians and othersare being hurt and killled by red light runners almost every day!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:34 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,328,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
I admit-I speed all the time. But theres a time and place for it. The fast lane on the freeway is a good time. going 45 in a business zone is acceptable. Tearing through a school zone is not. I hate people that tear through neighborhoods, obviously that is not a place to be driving too fast.
I don't like cameras on the freeway-but in town....maybe its ok b/c theres a lot of bad drivers out there and pedestrians and othersare being hurt and killled by red light runners almost every day!
I agree completely. In fact, if there's ANY place for these speed cameras, it is in the 25 MPH residential zones. I really want to see photo radar be eliminated, as do about half of all Arizona voters ... but I would much rather see speed enforcement in the residential areas than on the freeways because freeways are MEANT for fast driving. Residential streets are not open highways, and aren't racetracks. It seems like teenagers are the worst violators for speeding & driving recklessly in residential zones ... usually the ones who just got their DLs & cars for the first time in their lives.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:40 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,080,860 times
Big brother is watching you.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:40 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,649,286 times
Yeah-like that kid who was racing his honda(a few weeks ago) and killed hisself and the other people he hit....where were all the undercover taffic cops when he was racing down a busy road in town? Cameras in the city might not stop these things all the timefrom happening-but they are a good deterrent.
I, on the other hand, slow down (as do most people unless they are blind or don't carre about paying a ticket) on the freeway where the cameras are placed...then I speed up again. But also, I am a safe driver-I don't ride peoples asses and try to be courteous. I don't believe fast drivers on the freeways create accidents-bad drivers do!

Old 03-18-2010, 09:27 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Yeah-like that kid who was racing his honda(a few weeks ago) and killed hisself and the other people he hit....where were all the undercover taffic cops when he was racing down a busy road in town? Cameras in the city might not stop these things all the timefrom happening-but they are a good deterrent.
I, on the other hand, slow down (as do most people unless they are blind or don't carre about paying a ticket) on the freeway where the cameras are placed...then I speed up again. But also, I am a safe driver-I don't ride peoples asses and try to be courteous. I don't believe fast drivers on the freeways create accidents-bad drivers do!
This smile-for-the-camera radar system is not working, and is just plain wrong to begin with.

You do what apparently everyone else does, slow down when approaching the camera locations then speed up afterward. That is not effective enforcement of the speed limits, it is just a way of encouraging motorists to duck and run.

Employ the police to enforce the laws, not some camera device.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 AM

15,851 posts, read 35,213,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
In your words, you are a criminal yourself. Anyone who says they never speed at all is flat out lying.
Well, there are a few of us. In fact, I usually drive about 5 mph below the speed limit because I simply do not like to drive fast. It really irritates people behind me on two lane roads with no passing. Often I will look in my rear view mirror only to see a line of 5 - 10 cars! I will admit that in those cases I will increase my speed up to the posted speed limit, but never, ever, EVER more.

Some people do respect and abide by the law, although there are not many of us out there, I'll admit.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-18-2010, 10:50 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,316,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, there are a few of us. In fact, I usually drive about 5 mph below the speed limit because I simply do not like to drive fast. It really irritates people behind me on two lane roads with no passing. Often I will look in my rear view mirror only to see a line of 5 - 10 cars! I will admit that in those cases I will increase my speed up to the posted speed limit, but never, ever, EVER more.

Some people do respect and abide by the law, although there are not many of us out there, I'll admit.

20yrsinBranson
Yes, but I even remember you admitted (in the automobile section) that if someone rides your bumper and then tries to pass you on these roads, you floor it and will not let them because you have a real fast car (1993 Eldorado ETC). You would have to be speeding to do that. My point is everybody speeds at one time or another. Nobody is perfect.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:58 AM

98 posts, read 287,121 times
Relating to people who only slow down when they see the "Photo Enforcement Zone" diamond signs, I saw a cop on a bike the other day on an overpass with a radar gun pointed down onto the freeway. Also, there are plenty of unmarked police cars on the freeways, too. I'm not talking about the ones that are unmarked looking Ford Crown Victorias with the obvious antennas on the trunk. I'm talking about the ones that look like a basic SUV or a Nissan Sentra or something. They have the inside ceiling sirens which you usually can't spot.

In a nutshell, you really are "pushing" it if you are edging up past 5+ mph over the speed limit.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Here's how to tell: Look around you. Was someone speeding? If so, that was the person flashed. Not you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: