Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:46 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,499 times

Advertisements

I came home to find my door in the back kicked in...so far it looks like they got a laptop and an old cheap electric guitar. I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't take more or vandalize more. I'm keenly aware and concerned of identity theft issues; so I've put freezes on the three credit report agencies and put out a fraud alert just in case. Changed all my passwords and all that, too. Sucks, but at least I am alive and able to tell the tale!

The strange this is, there's a glass window on the door so they could've just broken it and flipped the lock! Now I have to replace a door. Bummer. Anyone else wish to share their burglary experiences? How easy is it to get a door replaced in a day(along with the frame which is also damaged)? Is this a home-depot type thingy? Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 05:09 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
I'm sorry for your misfortune. Sounds like you took the right steps.....did you call the police?

Stupid question, I know.

Thieves take the easy way in, always. Why risk cutting your hand while you're pilfering others' hard earned stuff?

Home Depot has pre - hung doors that you can buy.

Believe it or not, they're much easier to install than just a door.

While you're there, pick up a quality metal security door that opens outward.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:50 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,781,079 times
Sorry to hear about your experience, but also happy to hear that the theft was rather limited.

I agree with Yaz, it will be easier to do new complete pre-hung door (door with framing) than try to fit just a new door and repair the frame.

Jerry Resh of TLC Remodeling can hang the door for you. I've used them for projects. 602 446 1081. There are a couple other contractors on my web site Vendors page. Others here can also recommend someone to install the door.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,821 times
This happened to me. The worst of it is when they take your computer. Burglars stole my computer too. You have to switch credit cards, subscribe to a credit watch, and so on. I had stock mutual funds. I completely got out of some of the funds I invested in for years and switched to a different fund family.

My lesson learned: I don't have a single scrap of paper with my name (associated with my address), or my social security number or any account number in my apartment. I shred everything. I have a laptop but take it with me.

My operating system was pre-XP at the time of the burglary, so if the thieves were smart (and 99.99% of them are not), they could have hacked in easily. With XP and later, you are protected with reasonable password mechanisms. Even so, I installed BestCrypt products on my laptops so that my sensitive information is strongly encrypted.

I did not care so much about the other stuff the burglars took, as my insurance paid to recover some of it. But ID theft is serious.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,000 times
Sorry to hear. It is a horrible feeilng to be robbed! Been there.

It doesn't matter how many locks a person has on their doors or how good the locks or doors are... if the locks lock into a wood door frame, the door can EASILY be kicked in. The wood door frame gives out. A metal door frame will provide much more security. Just something you may want to keep in mind.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Sorry to hear about that. It happened to me a few years ago. It made me mad enough to explode. I think mine was young punks. Someone broke a small window, too small for an adult, then the back door was opened. What they took was random, guns, coins, etc. What they took and left makes no sense to me.

The thing that really pissed me off was they trashed the place inside. Tossing stuff out of cabinets, closets, etc all over the place. I don't know what they did to the cat but he was hiding under the bed. To this day when someone knocks at the front door he hides under the bed.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:37 AM

First, I just want to say how much I appreciate everyone's condolences and advice. It makes me feel very proud to be a part of Phoenix's online 'community'.

I will be looking for the pre-framed doors today and 'git r done'.

Captain Bill, thanks for the recommendation...much appreciated! Yeah, it's almost strange how limited it was and makes me wonder if they got spooked along the way. But that also worries me because they may come back? I mean, this morning I realized they also took an old 4-track recording device but forgot to take the power adapter with it. I wonder if a pawn shop would even take it that way? So, yeah, I think the metal frame door is the next step. And of course, the power adapter comes with me from now on!

On the other hand, I really don't have anything one would consider high-end. My $800 laptop was by far the most expensive item...heck, I don't even own an i-pod! Being relatively poor has its advantages I guess.
Anyhow, do you think I might have luck checking pawn shops around town?

Yaz, to answer your question, yep, I called the police immediately because I wasn't completely sure if the thief had left my home! And I was aware that usually insurance requires that type of thing. Kudos to the 2 officers who arrived pretty quickly; they were both sympathetic and professional. One officer was kind enough to get my door back into place so I could at least get through the night with it locked (I didn't get home till around 5:30pm, and wanted to prioritize changing all my passwords, etc.). The officers left behind a citizen's mail in report form because I'll need to research the serial # etc. on my laptop. Fortunately, I still have the receipt and info.

Howard, that's my biggest concern, really, the identity theft. I wonder if having a Linux-based operating system rather than Microsoft will make any difference in their ability to hack into my computer? It's funny you mention shredding because I had this premonition yesterday after doing my taxes that something was going to happen. So, I took all my various paperwork with me to work. I also took all my checkbooks with me...which I normally don't do but I just had this gut feeling. I also thought of taking my laptop with me, but unfortunately got distracted in my rush to get to work. Next time...the laptop always comes with me, darnit!

Now, for those of you who like a little mystery:

They left behind a power cord (it's definitely not mine!) in an outlet in my living room, close to where my laptop was. The power cord says it's supposed to be for 'outdoor appliances'. Now, what on earth would they be using that for, and why would they leave it behind? Any guesses?

Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 AM

300 posts, read 952,390 times
What area of town was this in? Just wondering.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:03 AM

Lovegun, it's in Coronado historic district...north of McDowell. Generally considered a 'safe' neighborhood as it goes, and I still believe that, but I'm sure being close to downtown, we get our share of random dope-fiends wandering around, looking for a quick fix. And gang-banger wannabees. It's all part of the mix. In spite of this, there's still no other place I'd rather live. I may be a bit poorer in possessions but I still feel rich in my community; they can't take things like that away. (stiff upper lip and all that)

Old 03-23-2010, 10:12 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
definitely get in touch with your insurance company - not only will you need to go over the personal property lost, but they can also provide guidance on getting that door fixed as it is damage to your insured property by a 3rd party

my friends were burgled a couple years back - they did a real number in the amount of stuff they stole - with them the worst part was getting comfortable again in their home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area