Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 04:45 PM

4 posts, read 6,554 times

Advertisements

Recently I was in Phoenix from Portland, OR. I loved it even in the 112 degree weather because like other people mentioned, you don't have to do much to go out in the heat like you do to go out in the cold. It is dry, not super humid. You can acclimate, which is hard to do in Portland because you wake up and it's 50 and when you go to bed it's 90. I see the reason why people move there which we are doing next week! YAY!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,416,599 times
Mod Cut: Quote deleted.

More than enough people? When I visit its like a breath of fresh air compared to Chicagoland, it feels almost empty and uncrowded. The vast, wide-open spaces of Arizona are wonderful. You dont know what crowded truly is until you visit some place like NYC.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-08-2010 at 01:32 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 01:24 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,578,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
More than enough people? When I visit its like a breath of fresh air compared to Chicagoland, it feels almost empty and uncrowded. The vast, wide-open spaces of Arizona are wonderful. You dont know what crowded truly is until you visit some place like NYC.
I think the main reason people say stuff like that about Arizona is because they probably remember a time when there was way less people that lived here. For example, in 1980 there were 29,673 people living in Chandler alone. The 2008 estimate was 247,140. With Gilbert, in 1980 5,717 people lived there while a 2009 estimate put the population at 217,521.

This fast growth happened all around the Phoenix area and in such a short time frame. I'd imagine that people who lived in various parts of the Valley ten years ago probably wouldn't be able to recognize it today.

Since the Valley truly doesn't have the physical limitations that a city like Chicago has, instead of going up, the city and metro went out. That's why it feels so "wide open" to you. But I assure you Steve-o, I've driven through various parts of the Midwest, including Illinois. There's a lot of "wide open" there as well.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:33 AM

6 posts, read 28,883 times
I moved here around 7/27/2010 from humid, miserable Ohio. I moved here on a day where it was 115 when we got out the truck. It was hot....but lemme tell you:

It was beautiful....tolerable....and totally different than that east coast heat.

I havent even used my truck A/C yet..... its humid here this time of the year, but its sooooo nice (this is my opinion and experience)

I will NEVER move to Ohio or anywhere East Coast again. I love it here....so if I moved during the hottest timeof the year....and saying I love it...then imagine the other 6 months of the year....

(AGAIN - just MY opinion .....)
Be blessed!

Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,085,074 times
There are a lot of people everywhere, cold climates, moist climates, hot climates. They are everywhere for a variety of reasons. I don't think the weather determines as much as you think. If it did I think the populations of various cities around the country would be a lot different.
That said, I don't think our weather would discourage someone from living here, humans are pretty good at acclimating and we like change it's exciting, so moving is exciting. People also get tired of the same old thing, cold, heat, rain, lack of rain, and they would like to try something different. That happens everywhere, even here in the "Valley of the Sun".

We are a great place to come for a break from the cold though, a nice 180.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I think the main reason people say stuff like that about Arizona is because they probably remember a time when there was way less people that lived here. For example, in 1980 there were 29,673 people living in Chandler alone. The 2008 estimate was 247,140. With Gilbert, in 1980 5,717 people lived there while a 2009 estimate put the population at 217,521.

This fast growth happened all around the Phoenix area and in such a short time frame. I'd imagine that people who lived in various parts of the Valley ten years ago probably wouldn't be able to recognize it today.

Since the Valley truly doesn't have the physical limitations that a city like Chicago has, instead of going up, the city and metro went out. That's why it feels so "wide open" to you. But I assure you Steve-o, I've driven through various parts of the Midwest, including Illinois. There's a lot of "wide open" there as well.
I think he was comparing the city's, in most states you can drive out of town and find nothing. Which I love to do now and then. Like you said, we are built out, not up, that's what gives us that "spread out" feel. This is one of the reasons big cities in the east and north feel like they have more culture, I think they just have tighter communities with easier access to the culture. You can walk down one street and find hundreds of shops and eateries, etc.

We have it, it just takes a lot longer to find them, plus, you probably have to get in your car to do it. You need to skip through more chains, but if you do you won't be disappointed, there are some wonderful family owned little shops here that offer plenty of culture. Maybe after this immigration issue is over we will get back to enjoying some of those mom and pop burrito shops. Get back to some of our culture. lol

Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 AM

39,082 posts, read 51,266,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
There are a lot of people everywhere, cold climates, moist climates, hot climates. They are everywhere for a variety of reasons. I don't think the weather determines as much as you think. If it did I think the populations of various cities around the country would be a lot different.
That said, I don't think our weather would discourage someone from living here, humans are pretty good at acclimating and we like change it's exciting, so moving is exciting. People also get tired of the same old thing, cold, heat, rain, lack of rain, and they would like to try something different. That happens everywhere, even here in the "Valley of the Sun".

We are a great place to come for a break from the cold though, a nice 180.
When I do my daily "where should I move?" search, I first consider housing costs. Weather matters (maybe more in that there are certain places I don't even consider because they are too cold or too humid). I think I would compromise somewhat on weather if I could find affordable home costs But if I can't find reasonable shelter then I can't live there no matter how nice it is - San Diego comes to mind. Phoenix boomed because it has reasonably good weather in most people's estimation AND very cheap housing. When the cheap housing went away a couple years ago the inflow dropped. Now that cheap housing is back in abundance I suspect an in-migration boom is not too far off (the weather has not changed).

Old 08-08-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
When I do my daily "where should I move?" search, I first consider housing costs. Weather matters (maybe more in that there are certain places I don't even consider because they are too cold or too humid). I think I would compromise somewhat on weather if I could find affordable home costs But if I can't find reasonable shelter then I can't live there no matter how nice it is - San Diego comes to mind. Phoenix boomed because it has reasonably good weather in most people's estimation AND very cheap housing. When the cheap housing went away a couple years ago the inflow dropped. Now that cheap housing is back in abundance I suspect an in-migration boom is not too far off (the weather has not changed).
I totally agree Pond!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,250,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
This is not meant to be sarcastic at all, but a real question: If it is so gawdawful hot there--and I really have never been there but am interested--why do so many move there?
Because some people feel the need to move to a location that does not have the natural resources to sustain large amounts of people, and that these resources have to be shipped in from other parts of the country in the name of convenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Because the heat does not stop you from going out like the cold and snow does. You can always go outside anytime of the year unlike the midwest.
Speak for yourself. People who choose to live in such environments take pride in the fact that they can endure such harsh conditions, and let's face it, the summer is even worse than the cold with all of its oppressive humidity. Its just a different culture, and I guess that you wouldn't understand. Ice fishing, for example, is a big deal. And it is not like the cities shut down. There is always tons of stuff to do over the winter, just as many people going out to bars, shows, museums, restaurants, etc. In fact, there is probably more going on over the winter and more people 'doing stuff' than in the summer.

Here is a good example:
Winter Carnival And yes, this outdoor event takes place during the coldest time of the year in one of the coldest metropolis's in the country. I lived in Minneapolis for ten years, and believe me, the Winter Carnival is a big deal. Not to mention the fact that practically every park in MPLS/St. Paul has at least one outdoor ice hockey rink, in which you can always find kids/teenagers playing hockey on any given day.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Because some people feel the need to move to a location that does not have the natural resources to sustain large amounts of people, and that these resources have to be shipped in from other parts of the country in the name of convenience.

Speak for yourself. People who choose to live in such environments take pride in the fact that they can endure such harsh conditions, and let's face it, the summer is even worse than the cold with all of its oppressive humidity. Its just a different culture, and I guess that you wouldn't understand. Ice fishing, for example, is a big deal. And it is not like the cities shut down. There is always tons of stuff to do over the winter, just as many people going out to bars, shows, museums, restaurants, etc. In fact, there is probably more going on over the winter and more people 'doing stuff' than in the summer.

Here is a good example:
Winter Carnival And yes, this outdoor event takes place during the coldest time of the year in one of the coldest metropolis's in the country. I lived in Minneapolis for ten years, and believe me, the Winter Carnival is a big deal. Not to mention the fact that practically every park in MPLS/St. Paul has at least one outdoor ice hockey rink, in which you can always find kids/teenagers playing hockey on any given day.
See, I think it's the same everywhere. You can always get out and enjoy both the heat, swimming, morning jogs, evening walks, or cold, ice skating, skiing, snow walking, ice fishing, afternoon jogs. I think both places offer plenty of indoor activity in all kinds of weather. It's not that different. Pretty much the same in all climates, always weather specific outdoor activities and of course, always a good bar, or shopping mall for indoor activity. lol I don't see the big difference, why people care either way? It's just personal pref. What ever you like, you try and do, if you can't then you slowly try and move to somewhere you like. It might take a while, but, it will happen eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area