Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 07:00 PM

394 posts, read 344,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Nice day today for all you heat lovers 110F 22% humidity. Heat index is 108 probably the highest in the nation today. This is when you ask what happend to the dry heat everyone talks about LOL
It's only 75 in OC right now - BUT 68% humidity

SoCal weather isn't all its cracked up to be.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:25 PM

137 posts, read 109,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I lived in Chicago, which is absolutely frigid from December til March. I never put on layers unless I was going to be out hiking or sledding with the kids. For work it was my pea coat, my hat, and leather gloves if it was cold enough out. I guess my blood was more tolerant of cold than yours?

I live in upstate New York and I'm use to the -20 degree winters and sometimes -50 with the wind chill .

But for the most part I don't own a winter coat , I wear a hooded sweatshirt and I also work outside in the elements . It's all about what you are use to .

I know people in Las Vegas in my same line of work where long sleeve shirts and pants in the middle of summer I would die but apparently dry heat you are actually quite conpfortsble when not in direct sunlight

Old 06-27-2016, 07:29 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,766,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeandgo92 View Post
I live in upstate New York and I'm use to the -20 degree winters and sometimes -50 with the wind chill .

But for the most part I don't own a winter coat , I wear a hooded sweatshirt and I also work outside in the elements . It's all about what you are use to .

I know people in Las Vegas in my same line of work where long sleeve shirts and pants in the middle of summer I would die but apparently dry heat you are actually quite conpfortsble when not in direct sunlight
That's crazy, I spent 5 years in New England and found it nearly impossible to spend much time outdoors in the cold months without a lot of layers on. I even had a close run in with frost bite before I was educated by a local on what type of wool socks I needed to by in order to be able to exercise outdoors for a good chunk of the year.

I know Upstate NY is no joke when it comes to cold weather, so props to you for being the man. But I met many New Englanders that could not warn me enough about how dangerous the cold can be. After my first near miss with possibly losing a toe, I was not messing around anymore.

I'm glad to be back in the warm weather, I feel more comfortable dealing with the heat.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:33 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,766,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
some of y'all are just crazy lol! Posters like elletea could prob be out in 122 degree weather sippin on a cold drink & be fine lol. Love the desert sw but it def depends what ones used to.

coming from a humid climate, would prefer 95-100 degree (humid but also gets dry) weather in San Antonio over anything 106+ in phx. Especially at night as it feels cooler than the oven like temps at 10pm.

At the same time, I would prefer 100 degrees in phx than 89 Houston summer humidity. Just different breaking points for me.
It's hot at 10pm now, but when the high is about 100 and it's super dry, 10pm is awesome. I like Phoenix because our hot period is not overly extended. If it stayed with 118 degree highs and 95 degree lows I don't think I could tolerate it, but the beauty of the dry period of the year is the sheer drop off in temperatures we get. Right now is when it stays toasty all night long, not my favorite time of year, but I find it tolerable compared to many alternatives out there.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:41 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post

humidity doesn't matter when temp is below 80 or so

And 75 isn't that bad, I'm in Fontana between loads right now and it's 95 here, but 108 back in Phoenix (90's are more ideal than 100's)

Old 06-27-2016, 08:00 PM

296 posts, read 366,225 times
For me, anything above about 74 degrees with high humidity feels horrible.

I was outside the other evening as the sun was setting and it was 105 and it was very tolerable because the sun wasn't glaring down on me. Not having the sun beating down makes a huge difference.

As people have mentioned Arizona summers are akin to places that have bad winters. There are some months in which you want/need to stay inside more. The whole no scrapping car windows, shoveling snow, or driving on ice/snow is a big plus as mentioned. Another difference is that there are really only a certain amount of hours in the day that are intolerable. So in comparison in areas with bad winters for me there is no great time to go outside to be comfortable. Here in Arizona in the summer for me from about Noonish until the sun sets it pretty horrible, but from sunset until about noon the next day it is tolerable to nice.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:41 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,113,821 times
Not to derail the thread but you could replace that question with...

"Why do people move to....

[San Francisco is it's so expensive?]
[New York if it's so crowded?]
[Minneapolis if it's so cold?]
[Florida if it's so humid?]
[L.A. if the traffic is that bad?]
[Columbus if it's that flat?]
[California if there's earthquakes?]
[Vegas if it's that hot?]

The answer probably to the original question is probably one of the following

1. they don't mind the heat
2. they will find ways to cope with it/ plan on staying indoors during the hottest part of the day/year
3. moved for a job or a family and weather was not the primary consideration

Old 06-27-2016, 11:09 PM

394 posts, read 344,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
humidity doesn't matter when temp is below 80 or so

And 75 isn't that bad, I'm in Fontana between loads right now and it's 95 here, but 108 back in Phoenix (90's are more ideal than 100's)
Humidity was definitely felt... Muggy and crappy.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:14 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,737,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post

I would be in the ocean loving it. I go in the water when it is 60 air and water during the winter.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:21 PM

81 posts, read 83,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Moral of the story: Don't go hiking in the middle of the day!!!
At least one of the hikers who died recently was out on the trail by 6 AM. A lot of people think it's fine if you're out there early, but if you hike too long, there's still the risk of heat illness. We did some short trails (under 3 miles) last summer because we were new in town and too gung ho to pay attention to the warnings, and a few times I was feeling pretty sick after an hour. This summer I'm not taking that risk again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area