Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:54 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,419,889 times

Advertisements

Why are drivers in phoenix becoming more and more incompetent? I have lived all over Arizona and I have noticed that Phoenix drivers are the worst.

No one here understands the concept of a fast lane, the left lane on the freeway is the fast lane for those who wish to travel 5-10 over the speed limit, not for you to cruse at 60 in a 65! If you see a huge line of cars behind you, and no one in front of you, shouldn't you get the clue?

No one want's to let ANYONE get in front of them, even if you have to merge. Trying to get from the 51 to the 101 going westbound is a huge mess, people need to realize that you go 1 and 1, letting 1 car in NOT slowing down.

I have also found that Phoenix has the worse parkers, people feel their huge SUV requires 2 spaces rather than just 1 that it would fit just fine in. People also love to park at angles and have one half of their car over the line, how lazy can you be to park like this?

I am sure many of you reading this post are guilty of poor driving habits, so hopefully you'll become aware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 11:13 PM

23 posts, read 119,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Why are drivers in phoenix becoming more and more incompetent? I have lived all over Arizona and I have noticed that Phoenix drivers are the worst.

No one here understands the concept of a fast lane, the left lane on the freeway is the fast lane for those who wish to travel 5-10 over the speed limit, not for you to cruse at 60 in a 65! If you see a huge line of cars behind you, and no one in front of you, shouldn't you get the clue?

No one want's to let ANYONE get in front of them, even if you have to merge. Trying to get from the 51 to the 101 going westbound is a huge mess, people need to realize that you go 1 and 1, letting 1 car in NOT slowing down.

I have also found that Phoenix has the worse parkers, people feel their huge SUV requires 2 spaces rather than just 1 that it would fit just fine in. People also love to park at angles and have one half of their car over the line, how lazy can you be to park like this?

I am sure many of you reading this post are guilty of poor driving habits, so hopefully you'll become aware.
They are the same in any busy fast paced large metro area. Denver is the same. Vegas, in fact, worse.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:19 PM

59 posts, read 230,978 times
I concur Phoenix has the worst drivers. I've lived in Denver, San Francisco, Los Angeles and now Salt Lake City. I believe a lot of citizens in Phoenix are originally from worse climate areas. They take advantage of no snow and wet roads.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:27 PM

710 posts, read 3,392,612 times
Ditto.

You know what's funny, is that a survey conducted a few years ago revealed 94% of drivers feel that they're 'above average'. Americans on the whole are poor drivers. Watch a large 2 lane rotary/roundabout some time.... accident city!

Poor driver's ed, no licensing requirements, plenty of unlicensed drivers on the road = public highway bumper-cars!

Old 01-19-2009, 11:30 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,865 times
There's a difference between doing 5-10 MPH over the speed limit in the left lane; and all the other jerks who want you to do 90.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:19 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
All those bad drivers moved here from somewhere else and brought their driving habits with them. It's pretty much the same in most large metropolitan areas.

From the AZ Dept of Motor Vehicles driving manual:
Impeding Traffic...
Driving too slowly can be as dangerous as driving
too fast. Remember to drive in the right lane and
allow faster moving vehicles to pass whenever you are
driving slower than traffic around you.

(Driving is a privelege, not a Constitutional right, and with that privelege comes the responsibility of safe and proper driving. That driving privelege can be suspended at any time for unsafe irresponsible driving habits)

Old 01-20-2009, 01:33 AM

611 posts, read 1,991,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
There's a difference between doing 5-10 MPH over the speed limit in the left lane; and all the other jerks who want you to do 90.
If they want to do 90 let them pass. Why would anyone not let them by? You put yourself in peril by aggravating the speed demon and risk being hit by a tailgater. Just move over and let them by. That's what rational people should do to keep themselves and their passengers safe.

I've driven all over too. phoenix seemed like a decent place to drive. Great roads and traffic was steady.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:57 AM
wng

72 posts, read 245,438 times
1. Phoenix is filled with snowbirds and retirees.
2. The threat of photo speed traps have produced dangerous 65 mph rolling road blocks.
3. Multi-laned highways/expressways do not follow the left lane is the speed lane rule.
(If you adhere to the maximum speed limit posted on the left lane, and the lanes to your right are full of slower traffic, there isn't much a driver could do if you desire to go 10 mph faster.)

This case is especially evident in the HOV lane. It bugs the hell out of me to see a family cruising along at 65 mph in the HOV while harassed and tailgated by a pickup filled with equipment and coworkers in a rush. Just where is the car supposed to go....into the bumper-to-bumper traffic @ 30 mph??
HOV lanes are a well-intentioned idea, but there are so few people who can carpool, and thus getting into and out of the HOV lane becomes rather risky.

All too often, unreasonable driving rules hamper and worsen driving conditions on certain roads and highways. The fear of photo speed traps, and the traffic-lighted on ramps are two such examples, IMHO.

Being forced to cruise at 65mph max caused my attention to drift and my alertness to wain. Something that never happened driving in other cities.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:39 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post

There are quite a few "Phoenix has the worst drivers" threads ... but this one is actually a nice change of pace because it doesn't contain the usual whine about how everybody drives too fast, too aggressively, etc. The part about driving too slow in the left lane is especially true. I've noticed more of that lately, and I think a lot of it has to with the fear of the damn speed cameras. Moving at a slower pace than the general flow of traffic in the left lanes is actually a violation of Arizona law.

Slower drivers also tend to be more accident prone because their reflexes don't seem to be as sharp ... or they're often less attentive. This is especially true when I'm in the right "exit only" lane, and somebody decides at the last second to get into the same lane as me, nearly side swiping my car. Or just as annoying: the morons who sit still when the left arrow turns green, causing aggravation and traffic back ups behind them.

You are also correct about the big vehicles that take up more than one parking space, or park at angles in a straight line. They must feel that their huge gas guzzler exempts them from parking normally.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:17 PM

687 posts, read 2,952,420 times
Tell me, with the camera's clicking away, how fast do you think I should go in a 65 zone? Maybe you were the bozo behind me Friday, flipping the bird as I did 68 in a 65 in the HOV lane? Maybe you are the young "woman" on the cell phone yakking away, but only 10' off my bumper? Maybe you are the "younger" driver who think you can control any vehicle at any speed and wish any of us with even a hint of grey should just give up?
There is always someone who thinks they should get to drive whatever speed they like, everyone else is stupid and a horrid driver, and the fast lane is theirs only.
And for those who've never driven a "huge" SUV, try parking in a regular space. When you get it in there, pity the persons beside you who cannot get their doors open. That is why many take up 2 spaces. And besides, if you're such a great driver, can't you do a reverse 180 right into the barely wide enough slot by the SUV and climb out the window?!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area