Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:55 AM

107,125 posts, read 109,484,448 times

Advertisements

just happened to me friday...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/photo...ermission.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 10:00 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,820,137 times
photoscape is another good free one, ive used it for years,and is very easy.

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php

Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,052,647 times
I agree with Old Man Winter. Indeed, it is big deal. Something that you took time and effort to "make" is now being claimed as someone else's work. In effect, you are losing recognition as the rightful "author" of the image.

Ultimately, it is up to you how you want to proceed, but I echo the suggestion that you contact the site where the image is being displayed. Explain that you are the person who actually took the picture and ask for the photo to be removed. As Mathjak noted, the metadata within the original you have on your computer should include at least the date and time when the image was stored.
Whatever you do, do not try to edit your original photo with additional information after the fact. See what the site admin. requests for proof and go from there.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:36 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,250,422 times
I add my "byline" in photobucket, which I believe you said you use. Use the "edit" feature, then to the "decorate" tab. There is a symbol that looks like a large "T," which stands for text. Once you hit that it should be fairly self-explanatoty. I still have to start playing with some of the better ways to do it like most people in the forum use, but this is quick and easy and right in photobucket.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,190,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
in the metadata your camera should be able to embed a copyright...anything other then that is a moot point.
You can add this and other information in batches using either Irfanview or Exifer. One thing to note is that can also be erased, incidentally a lot of software strips this information to save a few kilobytes when using the "Save for web" option.

Both have batch operations for adding text too which can even be taken from Exif/IPTC data but neither has very good options for making it look good at least the last time I tested them, both used plain aliased text.

If you're comfortable messing around with command lines or creating custom scripts Imagemagick is great tool for automating these tasks. There is sample scripts here:

Some basic Windows Batch file examples
Quote:
With some batch files you can drag and drop an image onto the batch file icon and it will modify and save the image.
This is quick as you can have a standard code in a batch file on your desktop, drag an image onto it and it will be modified and saved into a folder designated in the code.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:37 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,104,995 times
You can write your copyright info and date at the bottom of your photos with Picasa like I made this text on my sisters kids school pictures that I morphed into one image crudely. Helpful links below Image.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TDpD4p6Y47I/AAAAAAAAB4Q/Re0dRDvDo7U/s512/A.%20%26%20D.%20in%20two%20different%20years%20on% 20school%20pics..jpg (broken link)

Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How Do I Copyright My Photo? (http://www.photosecrets.com/how-to-copyright-a-photo.html - broken link)

Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 AM

24 posts, read 66,522 times
I use Picture Shark. it's fun, fast and easy.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:09 AM

107,125 posts, read 109,484,448 times
most copyright names folks put on their photos can be cloned right out... unless they are big enough to distract the eyes its not worth the effort....

i do mine internally in the medadata but i no longer bother putting anything on the photo itself. not worth the effort with todays cloning tools.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,897,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buswizard View Post
I use Picture Shark. it's fun, fast and easy.
I have used it in the past and worked well and is free. Their website: watermark picture shark freeware image gallery protect

Rich

Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,944,375 times
For those who are still following the topic, you can also download the free photo editing program "Gimp" to use for a variety of reasons.

Here is but one of several "how to watermark" tutorials on Youtube, showing how to do it using GIMP:

How to make a watermark in GIMP - Beginner Tutorial - YouTube

GIMP can be found HERE, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography