Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:24 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I did some searching and found a few things here but I was wondering if someone could tell me how to watermark/copyright a photo before posting online. It would be so much appreciated....

I saw the one thing with the num lock alt and 0169, I do not understand where the © ends up being if you do this. Any insight?

Thank you in advance and all of your pics are wonderful!!

Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 07:48 PM

227 posts, read 503,049 times
Do you use an editing program? I have my "©dmschmidt" saved as a Photoshop file and then just use it as a layer.

I'm sure if you add the info of what program you use for editing we can get you set up

Old 07-05-2010, 07:58 PM

I really haven't messed with a lot of editing. I use my kodak stuff and I use photobucket and flickr...

I have a few pics that are mine and are being made to look otherwise so I wanna watermark them. Wouldn't mind doing this with many of my pics...

Old 07-05-2010, 09:09 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
I'm not aware of a way to apply a watermark through Kodak's software. Generally, what you are doing is applying a line of text that has about 40% to 50% opacity. If the software you are using allows you to enter text on top of your picture, then you should be able to apply the watermark as long as you can control the amount of color in the text or opacity.

While I have not used this product, this is a product that allows you to apply watermarks to photos you publish to Flickr. The name of it is PicMarkr Pro. Within Photobucket, you can edit photos. A brief tutorial can be found here (http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/watermark-photos-and-images-online/ - broken link).

Hope this helps.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:11 PM

7,165 posts, read 9,216,704 times
Holding down the alt key then typing a number is a way to insert symbols into a file. The number corresponds to the ascii code of the symbol you wish to insert. As far as I know it only inserts symbols or text into a holder for text such as a text file, spreadsheet cell, etc. In other words, I think you need a graphics editor to enable you to type the symbol into a picture.

Photonoob is right about how to do it. You need a graphic program that can handle layers. Create your copyright symbol, with a transparent background. Make it distinctive as he has. Then add it as a layer.

The graphic program doesn't have to be photoshop. If you look around the forum you will see what others use. I use paintshop pro, some of the digital cameras come with editing software. There is a freeware program called gimp. You can google gimp if interested.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 PM

227 posts, read 503,049 times
If you aren't picky and just want the © and text on your photo, MSPaint would also achieve that.

I'm glad the others popped in with some great input. I'm not familiar with Kodak's programs and only use p'bucket and flickr for photo-hosting, not editing.

I hope we've helped some

Old 07-06-2010, 04:21 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,463,918 times
If you dont own software, download Picassa. It is free and you can use the text feature in it to watermark all of your pics.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:29 AM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
in the metadata your camera should be able to embed a copyright...anything other then that is a moot point. you have no more or less protection or rights because you drape something across the photo... if its big enough to do any good its toooo big and small can be cloned right out.

i dont bother doing anything externally anymore..its embedded in the metadata and thats that.

i used to use i-watermark but no longer bother.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-06-2010 at 05:22 AM..

Old 07-06-2010, 08:57 AM

Thanks all for your input. For now I did the text in the kodak software... I am having troubles with someone posting my pics as their own. Not such a big deal but one of those pics... oh so pretty. Then I look like I took it when I try and post it.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,463,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Thanks all for your input. For now I did the text in the kodak software... I am having troubles with someone posting my pics as their own. Not such a big deal but one of those pics... oh so pretty. Then I look like I took it when I try and post it.

It really is a big deal, it is copyright infringement. It is illegal, I would contact the site where this is happening and report it. In alot of cases they will ban the offended from the site and remove the photos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography