Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:32 AM

741 posts, read 1,289,133 times

Advertisements

Hi All, my husband would like a Tripod for his birthday gift in order to take better long exposure pictures of the moon. He has a Canon Rebel. I'm looking all over amazon.com and see tripods ranging from ten bucks to hundreds. Any pointers at all on nice to have features, or favorite brands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 11:54 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
What's your budget?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:06 PM

Hopefully $200 or under, unless I find out I really need to up the budget, I don't want to buy something horrid for my husband.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,930 times
I just bought his and I love it:

Dolica GX600B200 Proline GX Series 60-Inch Aluminum Tripod and Ball Head Combo for DSLR
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

Even took a 30 minute star trail exposure on a windy mountain and it came out great.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:52 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
Hopefully $200 or under, unless I find out I really need to up the budget, I don't want to buy something horrid for my husband.
That's a good budget for an entry-level to mid-range tripod. You probably will buy aluminum legs in that price range, and either a "pan head", or "ball head". Either one of those will suffice as a general purpose head and as a first tripod, the photographer isn't likely to have developed a strong preference for either one. That being said, most photographers do prefer a ball head for general use because it's very quick to set. So as a stake in the ground, I'll propose a set of aluminum legs and a ballhead combination that seems to be popular in that price rage.

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head with Quick Release Replaces Manfrotto 486RC2: Electronics

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 190XPROB 3 Section Aluminum Pro Tripod: Electronics

I also noticed this tripod and pan-head by Slik which has 5-stars over 126 reviews. Amazon.com: SLIK PRO 700DX Professional Tripod with Panhead (615-315): Electronics

Slik has a really good value proposition in the few products I've seen of theirs. You won't go wrong with either of these suggestions.

I know nothing about the Dolica mentioned above, but it gets great reviews too and looks like a bargain at $55. I doubt it will be as sturdy as the Manfrotto equipment I've listed above, but they are completely different price points. It sounds like it should suffice as a starter tripod as long as you're not using any heavy lenses on it.

Here's an interesting read on how to save $700 on a tripod. Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan . I actually heeded the advice in this article on my tripod purchase and couldn't be happier. I ended up with a tripod that's a joy to use and will last me a lifetime. But obviously this would be way overkill for most folks.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:12 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,253,644 times
I have the Manfrotto 055XPROB that I'm very happy with. Matched with a 3-way pan/tilt head Manfrotto 808RC4. I'm just not a Ball Head person.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,309,850 times
When I first started out in photography, I got a cheap tripod and pan head. I found almost immediately that I did not like the pan head. You had to unscrew/loosen the handle, position it, and screw the handle back into place. It didn't always stay in the right spot, which meant I had to start the process all over again. Frustrating. It also had bracing leg supports similar to the ones in this model, which limited how wide I could move the legs. Another strike against my first tripod.

I finally upgraded, and now I have the Manfrotto 3021B PRO, which is the predecessor to the 055XPROB. It seems to be very similar to the 190PROXB that kdog linked to as well. I love this tripod. You can remove the center post, stretch the legs until the tripod is mere inches off the ground, and insert the center post horizontally. This is helpful when I'm taking a macro photo of something very close to the ground, such as in the photo below.

The ball head I use is the Manfrotto 433RC2. I love the grip-and-release of this model. It makes positioning the camera a breeze, and you can make minor adjustments so quickly.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:14 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
You don't want to get a cheap tripod, it will be more frustrating than anything and he won't want to use it.

I got this ballhead and tripod.
Manfrotto 496RC2 Compact Ball Head with 200PL-14 QR Plate 496RC2
Manfrotto 055XPROB Aluminum Tripod Legs (Black) 055XPROB B&H

They are very solid, at $206 it's slightly more than your budget but they are very good.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:31 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
I have this combo (though I think my head is the older version) and it was well worth the $200. I also have a Slik Pro EZ which was much cheaper. It's more than enough for my Fuji X10, and while it's not nearly as sturdy as the Manfrotto it's still stout enough to support my DSLR and heavier film cameras. The Manfrotto is is built considerably more solidly, but the Slik packs up much smaller, so I'm more likely to use it. Really though, if you spend over $100 and get a name brand, you're almost certain to get a tripod that's at least decent, probably better than decent.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:42 AM

This is all very, very good information, I am going to get ballhead for sure now thanks to you all. I will be spending the weekend looking up all models mentioned on Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography