Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:28 AM

18,124 posts, read 11,756,270 times

Advertisements

Let's discuss all of the Assignments in one thread for the whole year as per Einsteins Ghost suggestion. This enables our Photo threads to be neat and nice. OK?

So .. subscribe to this thread to stay up to date on the Assignments.

Index of City Data Photography Forum Photo Threads
I put together an index of photo threads for the Photography forum. I hope the viewers of this forum will find it useful.

Abandoned

Abstract & Marco

Airplanes

American Flag

Architecture

Barns

Beach/Tropical Photos

Beaches#2

Berries

Birds

Black and White Photos

Boating and Fishing

Boating/on the Lake

Bridges

Butterflies

Butt Shots

Car Photography

Cell Phone Shots(pictures taken with a cell phone)

Cemeteries and Headstones

Christmas Lights

City Skyline

Clouds

Clouds#2

Creative Photography

Critique

Cute Pictures

Daily random Photos

Doors

Ducks

Eyes

Faces and Eyes

Fall Foilage

Farms

Fireworks

Flowers

Food

From Days Gone By

Geology

Grass

HDR

Humurous Photos

Icicles

Icy Waters

Industrial Photos

In Pairs

Insects and Bugs

Macro Pictures

Macros #2

Mansions and Castles

Moon

Moon#2

Mountain Photos

Mushrooms

National Parks

Night Photography and Fireworks

Night Sky

Northern Lights

Odd, Unique, Strange houses and Buildings

Oldest Photo You Have

Panoramic Shots #1

Panoramic Shots #2

Patterns

Pets

Pets#2

Pictures that make you say "awww"

Photo Turned Art

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Point and Shoot Shots

Redneck Pictures

Reflections

Reflections #2

Rivers, Streams, Lakes and Seas

Road Pictures

Self Pictures

Show off DoF

Small Town Photos

Statues

Store Fronts, Markets, Street Vendors

Street Art and Graffiti

Sunrise Photos

Sunset Photos

Then and Now in One Shot

Trains, Boats and Planes

Travel Shots

Trees

Tongues

Tugs, Barges and Ships

Unusual Sights

Urban Photography

Water drops

Waterfalls

Weather Photos

Weed Flowers and Wild Flowers

What grows on trees

Where We Live

Where we worship

Weird Pictures

Wildlife

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-14-2010 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: added introduction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 08:03 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
Einstein,
I would like to give credit to all of the members who have been posting pictures best to their ability. My pet peeve would be having to scroll to the right 5cc's to view pictures. We have been so good with helping others here in the Photography forum as well as though out City-Data. Let's help each other. If you see someone having a difficult time posting due to sizing, just offer a helping hand if I'm not available.

Another thing, I'm just following behind ShepsMom. Obviously she had a great thing going with her assignments. I could disable the cut off dates. A new assignment every Sunday? Okay, please DM me with ideas for new assignments. Let's run Assignment #31 until next week due to starting so late in the week.
EG, you are wonderful to volunteer for weekly assignments!

TwoGoldens, I have just one comment to make about sizing. While I agree that pics look so much better at 800 x 600, I always was taught that the standard sizing for the web should be 640 x 480 (or the longest end at 640) . In Photoshop Elements when I do "Save for Web" and put in those measurements under height and width and leave the Constrain Proportions box checked and save as a high quality JPEG, I don't think it degrades from the quality at all. That is what I use to post photos in albums on Webshots and what I use to send Emails to my friends and family who have less powerful computers with smaller monitors.

I had been using that sizing here too, for the most part, until I saw that others were posting bigger. I think if we have to resize, that 640 should be the longest length, and not 600. Don't mean to be picky or cause problems, but think it's a compromise worth considering -- especially for those with dial-up connections.

Last edited by PhotogGal; 05-08-2009 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: adding a thought

Old 05-08-2009, 09:15 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
EG, you are wonderful to volunteer for weekly assignments!

TwoGoldens, I have just one comment to make about sizing. While I agree that pics look so much better at 800 x 600, I always was taught that the standard sizing for the web should be 640 x 480 (or the longest end at 640) . In Photoshop Elements when I do "Save for Web" and put in those measurements under height and width and leave the Constrain Proportions box checked and save as a high quality JPEG, I don't think it degrades from the quality at all. That is what I use to post photos in albums on Webshots and what I use to send Emails to my friends and family who have less powerful computers with smaller monitors.

I had been using that sizing here too, for the most part, until I saw that others were posting bigger. I think if we have to resize, that 640 should be the longest length, and not 600. Don't mean to be picky or cause problems, but think it's a compromise worth considering -- especially for those with dial-up connections.
I agree with this. I host using ImageShack and web hosting is set at 640X480. The only exception I make to this selection when posting are the few times I posted stitched panoramic shots. I save as Medium quality JPEG's in PSE. I don't think the difference in resolution is that important when posting in here. If it were a contest entry then I will save as a high quality JPEG.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
I agree Photogal, 640 x 480px is the standard for photo hosing sites like Photobucket and Image Shack, it is done automatically saving us the time farting around resizing manually!

Edit: I see bibit posted as I was typing basically saying the same thing.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:34 PM

Default ~ Assignment Discussions ~

Let's discuss all of the Assignments in one thread for the whole year as per Einsteins Ghost suggestion. This enables our Photo threads to be neat and nice. OK?

So .. subscribe to this thread to stay up to date on the Assignments.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:38 PM

//www.city-data.com/forum/photo...ay-2009-a.html

Old 05-08-2009, 03:16 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Personally I'm getting fed up with the contest and assignment threads, I think from now on I'll just find an appropriate thread to post whatever it is I'm posting....my 2¢ worth.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:11 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
EG - I hope you have the appetite to critique the posts as not conforming to the theme, like ShepsMom did. For example, on the assignment called One, the theme is to take a photo of one object standing out. White and Black means just that, no other color, and she would critique your exposure and contrast. Motion means practicing on the techniques on panning, and so forth and so on. The intent of the assignments is to improve technique and skill in using your camera. That's how everyone learns.

Are you up to this or will you just take the posts as they are?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:16 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
EG - I hope you have the appetite to critique the posts as not conforming to the theme, like ShepsMom did. For example, on the assignment called One, the theme is to take a photo of one object standing out. White and Black means just that, no other color, and she would critique your exposure and contrast. Motion means practicing on the techniques on panning, and so forth and so on. The intent of the assignments is to improve technique and skill in using your camera. That's how everyone learns.

Are you up to this or will you just take the posts as they are?
Thanks! I will keep that in mind. And the idea will be to bring out the creative side in us, not to compete, but to present the best shot we can and spread the wealth of photography around.

I already have a new assignment in mind, but that will be coming out next Sunday. 2goldens will have it well before then. And if you all have an idea, please send them over to me and I just might provide a list of assignments for upcoming weeks.

Keep Shooting!

Old 05-09-2009, 05:40 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
The current assignment (#31) will run thru next saturday (05/16). I already have an idea (based on a recommendation from bibit) for the next assignment and will send it over to 2goldens in time for #32.

For reference, here's a list of previous (and current) assignment threads:
1 The One
2 Circles
3 On White
4 Windows
5 Straight Up
6 Vanishing Point
7 From Above
8 Stairs
9 Red
10 Three of a kind
11 Luck
12 Motion
13 Night Time
14 Selective Color
15 Towels
16 Emotions
17 Self Portrait
18 Black on White/White on Black
19 Love
20 Storytellers
21 Glass
22 Mirrors
23 Footwear
24 Communications
25 Numbers
26 Holiday Season
27 Best 10 of 2008
28 Strike a Match
29 Superbowl Edition
30 Liquid
31 Four Corners (current)

Last edited by 2goldens; 05-19-2009 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: Added more information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography