Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 07:14 AM

17 posts, read 61,487 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

My wife (American Citizen) and I are Muslims and living in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). I am applying for the immigration visa through the US Embassy in the UAE. After i receive the Visa, we are planning to move and stay in the USA, and then I'll be granted the PR hopefully after a while. I am an Electrical Design Engineer in the field of constructions (5 years experience), and my wife graduated last June as a GP and intending to enroll to a residency program in the USA.
Since I have never been to USA before, and we are looking to live in an affordable city with good job opportunists for our case. Is Pittsburgh the city we are looking for? If not, please suggest another cities, that fit our (jobs,Background,etc...)
I really appreciated your assistance and thanks in advance

Regards,
Wael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Health care is a strong industry in Pittsburgh, so that is good for your wife. As you may know, the construction industry is severely depressed in the United States, and Pittsburgh has not recently been a big construction town. On the other hand, the construction industry in the area may be recovering faster than some places.

Overall I think it might be a decent fit, but I'd advise talking to someone in construction in Pittsburgh with knowledge of your particular occupation.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:06 AM

475 posts, read 571,302 times
I'd say Pittsburgh could be a workable place for you. You may, of course, have issues stemming from your heritage when it comes to a certain... subset of the local population and their lack of manners, upbringing, and general humanity.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:43 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
I'd say Pittsburgh could be a workable place for you. You may, of course, have issues stemming from your heritage when it comes to a certain... subset of the local population and their lack of manners, upbringing, and general humanity.
And who might you be speaking of?

Old 08-19-2010, 11:52 AM

475 posts, read 571,302 times
Yinzers.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:58 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
so where should he look to live?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:14 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,439 times
My son's best friend is Muslim, I don't see Pittsburgh being different than any other city. Yinzer does NOT equate redneck

Old 08-19-2010, 12:21 PM

362 posts, read 919,456 times
Quote:
That is one of the IGNORANT statements I have ever read on this site!

Old 08-19-2010, 12:47 PM

12 posts, read 27,360 times
Quote:
Obviously this poster is a part of that "subset" of the local population for even making that comment. Lucky for you, the great majority of Pittsburgers are very welcome and accommodating to people from all walks of life.

Pittsburgh is a great city if you're looking for healthcare jobs and affordable living. You may find it difficult to find a job right away in the construction field, but we haven't been hit as hard as most in this recession and our downtown area alone has been in the midst of some major construction projects in the past few years.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:01 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbeih View Post
I am an Electrical Design Engineer in the field of constructions (5 years experience), and my wife graduated last June as a GP and intending to enroll to a residency program in the USA.
You are going to have a very hard time finding a construction-related job in Pittsburgh. Most of the big jobs are union-affiliated (you have to be a union contractor or a union member to be involved). Also, nepotism reigns here in such fields. You aren't somebody's son or nephew. Also, I surmise that you are not caucasion either which will hurt. Good luck...but I foresee hardship for you in the field in this area.

Some of the big contractors in the area who do electrical construction are:

Star Electric
Lighthouse

(both use union labor...but you might be able to find a non-union position within the company)

Also, check out Westinghouse because they are doing a lot of nuclear power work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh