Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:34 AM

362 posts, read 919,644 times

Advertisements

Why the need to post thoughts/questions about CO on a PITTSBURGH, PA forum????? You would have more feedback asking questions about CO on the CO forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:07 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, this thread is really "tongue in cheek". There seems to be a cultural trait in Pittsburgh to talk at length about why it's not a good idea to live anywhere else, usually focusing on natural disasters and weather. eg, Durhan gets hurricanes; the Dakotas, the west and the southwest have a continuous water shortage; California has earthquakes; the midwest has tornadoes; etc. Plus, everyone else's economy is about to tank. I used to hear this kind of talk often when I was a kid, and I continue to hear it here on CD.

Here is a good reason why you should not live in Colorado.

Fourmile Fire: 92 structures lost, partial property list released - Boulder Daily Camera
Yes, and it seems like there has always been a cultural trait from people of other cities to trash Pittsburgh "it's filthy, dirty, it's an armpit,etc'' We just want share a different perspective about the advantages and good reasons there are to living here. We've come to the conclusion that people must have heard only a slanted view about Pittsburgh,hence the trash talk.

Colorado currently has some wildfires but I don't think the state ever had a real serious, ongoing problem with them. After this one is out it may not see another for quite some time ( let's hope!)

Old 09-10-2010, 07:26 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
If one is looking for expressions of sympathy and concern, it is probably not a great idea to lead with a "joke" at the expense of the audience in question.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:35 AM

137 posts, read 354,213 times
Because the doctors are fleeing like rats on a sinking ship..

Old 09-10-2010, 07:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
If one is looking for expressions of sympathy and concern, it is probably not a great idea to lead with a "joke" at the expense of the audience in question.
Now that you've come on this thread I'll ask you the question I've had in mind since I started this thread: Is your family in Boulder OK?

BTW, I had no expecatations of any sympathy.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-10-2010 at 07:50 AM..

Old 09-10-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
OK, those are fightin' words, creepsinc. I wasn't going to reply to this post, until you did. I'm darn sick of your crap about why I shouldn't be posting on this forum, and your personal attacks on me. The mods disagree. Here are a couple of examples of what I'm talking about, names removed to protect the innocent. These are both taken from the Pittsburgh forum:

Regarding living in North Carolina:

Note: AFAIK, the Dakotas do not even have a water supply problem. It's the Great Plains, not the desert.

I've had the idea for this thread for a long time. I heard this stuff when I was a kid. Some others have posted that they did, too. I started this as a fun thread, to get people to think about what they are saying. I think it's interesting that not one person on this thread asked me if we were in any danger from the fire I posted a link to in the OP.
Well Katiana you obviously skipped mentioning the comment that my reply was to North Carolina. The poster stated you live for 4 + months without any sunshine which is the usual exaggerated comment about Pittsburgh weather. So I responded that N.C. has a high number of hurricanes . I didn't think this was an untrue assessment.And yeah, Katiana you have to pack up and leave during an evacuation.
As far as the water issue I read Sioux Falls and other areas d/t farming contamination , are having some water shortages. Notice I stated "the ONLY problem, I see" And I know it's a problem they are actively working on so I'm sure it will get remedied. The North Dakota State Water Commission secretary has stated that water is a pressing problem there.

Water shortages are becoming increasingly common all over the world. I am not singling out any city or state .When you have more population moving into an area and developement taking place it is a common problem.
But ,let's face it, it's a serious problem, nonetheless. If you don't have water-then you can't live. Period.
I know you stated that you started this as "a fun thread" and to get people "thinking about what they are saying"
I guess you are are the only one here capable of actually thinking about what you post and no one else knows anything.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
Why the need to post thoughts/questions about CO on a PITTSBURGH, PA forum????? You would have more feedback asking questions about CO on the CO forum.
B/C she's trolling under the false pretense of " starting a fun thread". And Pittburghers (or Pennsylvanians )can't be brutally honest about their assessments re: other places but boy it sure is ok if people voice their honest opinions about Pittsburgh

Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Well Katiana you obviously skipped mentioning the comment that my reply was to North Carolina. The poster stated you live for 4 + months without any sunshine which is the usual exaggerated comment about Pittsburgh weather. So I responded that N.C. has a high number of hurricanes . I didn't think this was an untrue assessment.And yeah, Katiana you have to pack up and leave during an evacuation.
As far as the water issue I read Sioux Falls and other areas d/t farming contamination , are having some water shortages. Notice I stated "the ONLY problem, I see" And I know it's a problem they are actively working on so I'm sure it will get remedied. The North Dakota State Water Commission secretary has stated that water is a pressing problem there.

Water shortages are becoming increasingly common all over the world. I am not singling out any city or state .When you have more population moving into an area and developement taking place it is a common problem.
But ,let's face it, it's a serious problem, nonetheless. If you don't have water-then you can't live. Period.
I know you stated that you started this as "a fun thread" and to get people "thinking about what they are saying"
I guess you are are the only one here capable of actually thinking about what you post and no one else knows anything.
I quoted those quotes without attribution because I didn't want to start this kind of thing. For as long as I have been posting here, I've read stuff like, "You don't want to live there because they have (insert problem)". As far as the North Dakota issue, it is the SW part of the state that is having the water supply problems.

ND State Water Commission

Sioux Falls is actually in South Dakota.

Every farming area in the country has problems with agricultural run-off contaminating wells. When I lived in downstate Illinios, we told people who lived in the rural areas and were on well water not to give their babies tap water until they were a year, for that reason.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-10-2010 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 09-10-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Is your family in Boulder OK?
Yep.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacosimo View Post
Pittsburgh is a medium-sized city in southwestern Pennsylvania. It will always be a medium-sized city in Southwestern Pennsylvania. . . . If people can't tolerate the local brain-drain and over-emphasis on football, etc...They should move away.
The thing is, that is factually false. The City of Pittsburgh used to be much larger in both gross and relative terms, and the Pittsburgh Metro Area used to be a bit larger in gross terms and much larger in relative terms.

Meanwhile, this process of relative shrinking has been associated not with a "brain-drain" but actually a remarkable increase in average educational attainment, particularly among the younger age cohorts (so much so that we now have some of the highest educational attainment rates among our younger adults for a large U.S. metro), and associated things like rising per capita income.

So actually, Pittsburgh is very much a city in flux. And that creates some tension, in part because there is still an older cohort around who doesn't always acknowledge or embrace these changes.

Last edited by BrianTH; 09-10-2010 at 08:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh