Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times

Advertisements

I like the new Burgess plan: all the spare money from the lease goes into the pension, and then they voluntarily turn the fund over to the state. It seems to me like that is a solid plan from pretty much every perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:05 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
Quote:
[LEFT]"This proposal is dead. We need to get his dead alternative off the table," Mr. Dowd said of the mayor's plan.
Councilwoman Natalia Rudiak agreed.
"The plan is dead. I'm not voting for it. Most of my colleagues are not voting for it. It's time to get it off the table," she said.
Their comments came after they joined Council President Darlene Harris in introducing legislation today to sell all of the city's parking assets -- one parking garage, five street lots and about 7,000 meters -- to the parking authority for $220 million in a move to generate revenue for the city pension fund without leasing garages and meters to the public sector.

Read more: Pittsburgh parking lease plan 'dead,' council members say
[/LEFT]

the lamb alternative is a good name for this timid piece of legislation

Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 AM

It is possible this is just bluster, but unfortunately it is all too plausible that Council will choose the path that maximizes their own power and minimizes controversial change, regardless of what is best for the City in the long run.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Mr. Allen said he'd view the change as a partnership with the city, one that would reduce the role of the city pension boards but that would come with certain benefits, such as nonpartisan bidding requirements for bond work
Read more: Official details state takeover of city pensions

Quote:
Council voted against four bills that would have authorized a 50-year lease of city and parking authority facilities to private investors for nearly $452 million.
A second, final vote on the bills is scheduled for Tuesday. While a change of mind is possible, council members left little doubt about how they -- and their constituents -- feel about the mayor's plan.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10287/1095054-53.stm

Old 10-14-2010, 11:21 AM

408 posts, read 991,951 times
I realize the council members said they didn't like it, but what exactly was it they didn't like?

Old 10-14-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
I realize the council members said they didn't like it, but what exactly was it they didn't like?
Basically they are saying parking rates would go up way too much, and that the City shouldn't be giving up control of public assets (a rather circular argument, but it pushes the right buttons).

Oh, and JP Morgan is the Devil, and the Mayor is his minion.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:53 PM

540 posts, read 868,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Oh, and JP Morgan is the Devil, and the Mayor is his minion.
To be fair, both sides of the Council vs. Mayor p***ing contest often show the same disregard for what is best for the city when considering each others' plans. The originator of the plan is more important to them than its content.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
To be fair, both sides of the Council vs. Mayor p***ing contest often show the same disregard for what is best for the city when considering each others' plans. The originator of the plan is more important to them than its content.
That is certainly true. Personally, I have no dog in that fight--I just happen to think this particular idea is a good one, and (perhaps surprisingly) it has apparently been well-executed. It is always a shame when crass politics kills something like that.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:49 PM

408 posts, read 991,951 times
I am still not so sure it would have been great to hand over the parking to a single company, forming a city-wide monopoly on parking. Despite other benefits it may have had, it also would have annoyed me to be to hand over a profit to park somewhere that I have already paid to pave.

If the parking "market" was grown as a private enterprise, without having to compete against subsidized garages and meters, we probably would have had more places to park and more competition among investors to keep prices reasonable... but that wouldn't be the case here, where the government-created mess is just turned over to a private company. This might be the rare occasion where I think political motivation (to maintain reasonable parking prices) is better than the alternative, which is no motivation at all.

Also, it's not like this was even permanently fixing the pension problem. A few years out, we would be back in the same spot, yet with the higher parking rates.

Last edited by tranceFusion; 10-14-2010 at 01:59 PM..

Old 10-14-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceFusion View Post
Also, it's not like this was even permanently fixing the pension problem. A few years out, we would be back in the same spot, yet with the higher parking rates.
that's not necessarily true. it would have gotten funding up to 60%. I particularly like the burgess plan which would have pumped the fund up to 60% and still turned it over to the state, thus ensuring it wil be eventually funded. I think the current option being considered is anything but the best option, basically doing little, issuing more debt, and leaving the city on the hook to increase rates and get caught holding the bag. my own alternative would be to sell the garages, not lease them, put 100% of the proceeds into the pension fund, turn it over to the state, and either a) increase meter rates appropriately or 2) lease them to a different company than the one that bought the garages. the lamb plan kind of takes the worst of things, does very little to improve the situation. it seems idiotic to have voted the mayor's plan down BEFORE the city got the payment schedule from the state. at this point, it may yet be the best option to let the state take over, then figure out ways to pay the piper down the line. the garage is a public asset holds no water with me. peopel buy and sell assets all the time, their job isn't to preserve public assets but to make the best decision for taxpayers in this case. I see no reason why assets like garages should be treated like parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh