Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:00 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
WTAE had the following page about Pittsburgh being the "5th Gayest City in America" up on their homepage just yesterday, I'm assuming in honor of gay pride month.

America's Most Gay-Friendly Cities - Photos - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.wtae.com/slideshow/news/26469905/detail.html - broken link)

It was slightly disturbing that the majority of commenters on their website found this to be a "bad" thing for Pittsburgh. I, of course, went through and made a few posts of my own in rebuttal. But, the bigger problem here is that these are exactly the people who could keep Pittsburgh from becoming the "new" city that it's trying to emerge as. Intolerance of any kind toward a group of people is NOT a positive thing and never will be. We need to attract people to this city, not turn them away and come off as typical "yinzers."
I have always noticed a disturbing amount of idiots and stupidity on WTAE's facebook comments; more than I see on WPXI's page at least. Of course, I also think WTAE and the media likes to add fuel to the fire with their comments just so they can get more traffic and responses out of people and make stories and their little write up more sensational. I'd also like to say that I bet half of those people don't even live in Allegheny County and live in the back woods or are yinzers that have moved away.

Edit: Has anyone on here ever read the Politics and Controversies section of city-data? Talk about a cesspool of comments sometimes.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 06-30-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I think the young Yinzer crowd and especially the young Hip Hop crowd is VERY intolerant of gay
people..I can name incidents...
I've noticed this too among a lot of my younger friends. It makes me think a lot in my head "so much for young people being more tolerant of others".

Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I agree. With the possible exception of sports sections, I find the comment sections on most local news sites--and in fact national mainstream news sites--to be a real cesspool.
After reading comments on news sections a lot of the time, I always wonder where do these people come from because I don't know anyone that stupid (or at least I think I don't).

Old 06-30-2011, 09:32 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I always wonder where do these people come from because I don't know anyone that stupid (or at least I think I don't).
That's the problem--presumably they can't ALL be shut-ins, so these people are wandering around in real life without anyone knowing what is going on inside their heads.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That's the problem--presumably they can't ALL be shut-ins, so these people are wandering around in real life without anyone knowing what is going on inside their heads.
As much as I love the Internet, because of it I think a lot of people who post on it thinks their opinion is right, that it matters, and they can say whatever crazy thing they want to.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I was at an intersection in Oakland last week, and the middle-aged guy in the truck next to me was on his phone, apparently leaving a voice mail message to a mortal enemy. I had my windows open, and so did he, so I heard the whole thing. This guy was threatening to come to the other guy's house and rape his wife and kill his dog among other things, and went on and on using the most vile and profane language possible. I don't know what the deal was, but just listening to it made me extremely uneasy to think that this guy is out there in the world thinking and saying horrible things. Can you imagine being this guy's neighbor? Or his coworker? I must live in a magical land of unicorns and rainbows where one does not aggressively vocalize their homicidal thoughts.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:16 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I was at an intersection in Oakland last week, and the middle-aged guy in the truck next to me was on his phone, apparently leaving a voice mail message to a mortal enemy. I had my windows open, and so did he, so I heard the whole thing. This guy was threatening to come to the other guy's house and rape his wife and kill his dog among other things, and went on and on using the most vile and profane language possible. I don't know what the deal was, but just listening to it made me extremely uneasy to think that this guy is out there in the world thinking and saying horrible things. Can you imagine being this guy's neighbor? Or his coworker? I must live in a magical land of unicorns and rainbows where one does not aggressively vocalize their homicidal thoughts.
At least he was stupid enough to leave it as a voice mail so the person he was threatening can use it as evidence if they want to.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:46 AM

56 posts, read 96,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
After reading comments on news sections a lot of the time, I always wonder where do these people come from because I don't know anyone that stupid (or at least I think I don't).
Oh the stupid is out there. So obvious on the net on news sections and some forums but less prevalent in real life because people seem to be so conscious of being 'politically correct'. But yeh get a few drinks in 'em or when they're in their car or other private space and you hear the truth.
Side comment - has anyone else noticed that "yinzer" posts are usually accompanied by poor spelling? Like getting 'they're', 'there' and 'their' all wrong?

Anyway, interesting thread. The more I read up on Pittsburgh, the more I'm glad to be moving to a relatively open-minded and cosmopolitan city (despite the litter problem).

Old 07-01-2011, 04:51 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times
I've always been glad that neither the Post-Gazette or the Tribune Review have comments on articles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh