Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:47 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Sometimes a little condensation never hurts.

Yes, the freedom to communicate as you wish is essential.
Not if it threatens the well being of others.

I believe a certain important historical document says a little something about everyone being entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Engaging in an activity that has a high potential of physically harming others seems to go against that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
Yes, an adult making a phone call is the same as a car full of giggling teenage girls. Precisely the same.
Distracted is distracted. Whats the difference between an adult taking his/her eyes off of the road to text or not paying attention while making a phone call, and a teenager doing it? It still slows reaction time to the point where an accident is more likely to occur. Just because some can supposedly handle it better doesn't justify the continued practice of the activity. Some can drive just fine after having 7 or 8 beers, but its still extremely dangerous for them to get behind the wheel.

Last edited by Q-tip motha; 03-09-2011 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 08:53 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossewa View Post
A ban on handheld devices only addresses a symptom of America's generally poor driving, rather than the root cause. It is too easy to get and then maintain an operator's license.
While very courteous when compared to East coast drivers, Pittsburghers regularly fail one the most fundamental rules of the road. When you see and hear a siren, you are to immediately pull over to the curb and wait for the police/ambulance/fire vehicle to pass. Next time you hear a siren while out driving, marvel at the huge numbers of drivers who completely ignore this.

I actually see the opposite. I see people pulling over on divided highways when they don't need to.

Speaking of traffic and emergency vehicles, I love when people are approaching an officer with someone pulled over. The slow way down and creep along , afraid that the officer will stop what he/she is doing and pull them over. Just move over and give them some room, and keep moving!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:21 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I actually see the opposite. I see people pulling over on divided highways when they don't need to.

Speaking of traffic and emergency vehicles, I love when people are approaching an officer with someone pulled over. The slow way down and creep along , afraid that the officer will stop what he/she is doing and pull them over. Just move over and give them some room, and keep moving!
Maybe they're just, you know, obeying the law.

Move Over America | Protect Law Enforcement Officers

Old 03-09-2011, 09:30 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
Maybe they're just, you know, obeying the law.

Move Over America | Protect Law Enforcement Officers
Pennsylvania Move Over Law - Steer Clear Law

The Steer Clear law, which went into effect Sept. 8, 2006, requires motorists to move into a lane that is not adjacent to an emergency response area.
An emergency response area is an area on or near a road where services are being provided by police, sheriffs, coroners, medical examiners, firefighters, fire police, fire marshalls, rescue personnel, emergency medical service personnel, towing and recovery personnel, hazardous material response team members and/or highway construction and maintenance personnel.
If drivers cannot move over because of traffic or other conditions, they must reduce their speed.
In cases where law enforcement may not be present, the law allows road workers and emergency responders to report violations by motorists.
Law enforcement may issue citations based on these reports.
Failure to move over or slow down can result in a summary offense that carries a fine of up to $250.
In addition, fines will be doubled for traffic violations occurring in work zones areas.
If that violation leads to a worker being injured, a 90-day license suspension could result.

I think it's one of those laws people are unaware of, like having to have lights on when windshield wipers are operating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh