Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
"Banning things I disagree with" is "Progressive"?

Please, by all means, call me regressive. What we do NOT need is the government deciding to make more things illegal. It's already citable to do a great many things while driving, such as changing lanes illegally, not being in control of a vehicle in the case of an accident, etc.

Making it illegal to do something and have NOTHING BAD HAPPEN is... criminal. Or should be.
So, shoot somebody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 11:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
I'm not a big phone talker anyway and generally will not answer calls when driving, but some who are also seem to treat the car as dead time when one useful thing they could be doing is talking on the phone. Hey, I always thought it was pretty useful to avoid crashing, but that's me.

One of those people was my mother. I carped about it a bit and I think she stopped, though I can't be certain she didn't just stop calling me from the car. So anyway, not an age thing at all. Just partly a mindset about driving and partly about how much, how often, how many people we need to keep talking with. She apparently needs to talk on the phone a lot. Luckily, whatever she's doing, she's not getting into accidents.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:48 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Luckily, whatever she's doing, she's not getting into accidents.
Yet.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:52 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Yet.
It's not a given or anything.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:57 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,914 times
I talk on the phone while driving whenever I have something I need to talk to someone about and happen to be in the car. I've probably driven 20-30k miles on the phone.

I have one accident to my name that wasn't the result of someone hitting me, and it had nothing to do with a phone. (And everything to do with working too many hours and refusing to believe I was too tired to drive. And then falling asleep at the wheel on the way home. But I was 18 and stupid.)

Some people are able to do things others aren't. That's a simple fact. I can do it. So I do it. If you can't, don't.

What we need is more personal responsibility, not more government interference in our lives.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:02 PM

346 posts, read 537,396 times
Well in that case some people can hold their heroin really well should we legalize that too?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:04 PM

264 posts, read 492,698 times
Quote:
What we do NOT need is the government deciding to make more things illegal. It's already citable to do a great many things while driving, such as changing lanes illegally
My stand against this isn't as strong as yours, but I agree with this...and the thing is they don't even enforce many of the dangerous driving practices that are already illegal.

Changing lanes illegally, not using signals when turning, etc, as well as the typical bonehead moves of merging at 30 mph when traffic is moving at 65, rubbernecking, going 5-10 under the speed limit....these are all more likely to cause an accident than holding a cell phone up to your ear. I daily notice idiots driving who just have no awareness of the road and traffic around them....and they're rarely on a cell phone.

Some people can eat a whole fast food meal while driving at 70 mph and their car never wavers from the center of the lane. Then there are people who reach down to turn up the radio and end up in a ditch. Moral of the story...this is an issue of drivers who can't have any distraction whatsoever (or who just don't pay attention to the road to begin with).

Police need to start pulling the obviously oblivious drivers over and citing them once in a while, as they are much more of a threat to others on the road than those of us who can carry on a conversation without causing a 10 car pileup.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:04 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,914 times
Absolutely. Drugs shouldn't be outlawed.

Making goods such as drugs illegal to acquire leads to people committing crimes to acquire them, and more law enforcement becomes necessary to enforce the laws and handle the fallout.

Legalizing drugs, and taxing them at the standard tax rate for other goods, will not only reduce the burden on law enforcement but help control the national/state debt issues we're facing.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:11 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Drugs shouldn't be outlawed.

Making goods such as drugs illegal to acquire leads to people committing crimes to acquire them, and more law enforcement becomes necessary to enforce the laws and handle the fallout.

Legalizing drugs, and taxing them at the standard tax rate for other goods, will not only reduce the burden on law enforcement but help control the national/state debt issues we're facing.

By all means, make heroin legal. That way I will always have a job.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:12 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Some people are able to do things others aren't. That's a simple fact. I can do it. So I do it. If you can't, don't.
Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh