Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
If so, I'd like to see what I would consider the actual metro area, Allegheny Co, compared to other real non-MSA metro areas - factoring in rural areas makes for an unhelpful basis of comparison, in my opinion.
Most of the Pittsburgh Metro isn't really rural, even outside Allegheny County--you are talking about a lot of people living in towns and such.

But anyway, what you are after is probably pretty closely captured by the Census-defined Urbanized Areas, which avoids the problem of variable political boundaries. It would indeed be interesting to see such a comparison, but I think you would find that it would spike certain cities even higher--people pay less of a premium for centrally-located housing in Pittsburgh than they do in many metros.

Quote:
No, merely one possible implication.
I think the only thing along those lines his analysis might suggest is that the overall level of property taxation in the area isn't a notable competitive disadvantage. That doesn't mean the overall level is a good idea, and it doesn't really say anything about other issues, like the distribution of the tax burden or the huge number of different taxing jurisdictions.

Quote:
Granted - which neatly moves the issue back to the state level and the dysfunction of the present structure of politics, since those sorts of changes can only be made there but in practical terms won't be.
Yeah, it is pretty dismal right now. But I do think we are in a momentary countertrend to a bigger, more positive overall trend. I'm not going to promise consolidation any time soon, but I think it is possible that when things get back to normal, we may see more movement in favor of increased state funding, and maybe even more robust charter laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 07:03 AM

780 posts, read 1,385,198 times
Sideblinded,
quit posting your dribble on this thread.

Only praise should be heaped unto Scott Walker and the other Republicans in Wisconsin for having the fortitude to do what they did in the face of union thugs and "yellow" legislatures that wouldn't stay home to face the vote. The unions will have their chance to turn things around in the next election cycle, and life goes on.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
It turns out the dreaded unions enjoyed a lot more popular support in Wisconsin than Walker et al were planning on. And the voters of Wisconsin will have a chance to speak sooner than the next general election, thanks to Wisconsin's robust recall laws.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Please note that another conversation on the budget and education cuts can be found here: //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...d-threads.html

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:22 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
Quote:
The unions will have their chance to turn things around in the next election cycle, and life goes on.
Wouldn't it be a hoot if Walker has mobilized the Democratic base strongly enough to keep Obama from being a one term President?

Old 03-11-2011, 07:26 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Sideblinded,
quit posting your dribble on this thread.

Only praise should be heaped unto Scott Walker and the other Republicans in Wisconsin for having the fortitude to do what they did in the face of union thugs and "yellow" legislatures that wouldn't stay home to face the vote. The unions will have their chance to turn things around in the next election cycle, and life goes on.
When people think ignoring the constitution should be praised, I am not sure I live in the US anymore. I am not referring to the Union issues.

Many procedural WI laws have been broken, including contempt of court & nobody cares. I hope it does not happen here.

*Sorry, just saw the merged thread!

Sorry to bother you with my constitutional dribble.. BTW, did you mean drivel?

Old 03-12-2011, 08:15 AM

780 posts, read 1,385,198 times
No, I meant dribble, like little drops of drool dribbling out of your mouth....

Last I heard, collective bargaining rights are not included in the constitution.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:36 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
Remember when the teachers caused the global financial and economic crisis? Me neither.
Maybe not a "global crises", but quite possibly homeowner's economic crises that will force them to sell their homes. In my district the breakdown in taxes is as follows.

School 2,126 per 100k of home value
Local 240
County 470

You have a $200K home and you are paying over $4K to school alone
300K = over $6K

In and around the city trying to find a $200K home isn't all that easy unless you want the occasional gunfire around your home. That being said and the fact that funds have just been cut we are in trouble. The schools have everyone where they want them and we have NO say in what happens as home owners. We are just going to have our taxes raised even higher because there are so many teachers and tons of administrators that are being paid huge wages that are not inline with that industry across the country at all. There is no going back when you keep moving up and up in taxes. Oh, not to mention Allegheny County is going to reassess people AGAIN this year. I will no doubt be in court for the 5th time to fight taxes. I was just reassessed this past year and settled out of court with the school district. My taxes were raised about 20% at that time. What are they going to raise them to now? Another 20%? Nice little 40% increase which means I am probably going to sell and move somewhere in the district, but no idea where? Sharpsburg I guess.

So you can say what you like about how this situation will play out, but I know I will be paying even more than I am now, which are some of the highest taxes in the country. Good for you that you are not effected.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:39 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
Remember when the teachers caused the global financial and economic crisis? Me neither.
Ask the radio hosts on KDKA. Teachers and other union members are the reason for everything bad that ever happened in America.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
me hate teachers, didn't teach me nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh