Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 07:31 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
That is the best type of "politician," the one who doesn't care about re-election and will do what is necessary to make the hard decisions (to get the budget in line) and stay true to his word. Corbett ran on a platform, got elected and for the most part, is sticking to it. Still don't agree with him on the lack of an extraction and drilling "impact" tax but I think he'll be loosening up on that one.
I also don't agree with the amount of education cuts but cuts needed to be made since the recent uptick in spending was buoyed by stimulus funds that everyone knew were drying up.

Higher education cuts: he should have went deeper...when I saw PSU flaunting their new, state of the art 10.2 million dollar softball facility on a local Johnstown news channel, well, that hardened my position on those cuts. I didn't research the funding but I doubt it all came from donations. Same goes for their new hockey arena.

A 1-2% cut to their overall budget is peanuts and they have plenty of areas they can make up those cuts....
Sometimes I wonder if colleges are really losing their way. Seems they put money into things to make it more like a summer camp than a place of learning. Is college really a place to further you education or a place to party and play sports? Considering Pitt and Penn State are so expensive, you would think they would focus on academia first and sports a distant second, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I am really losing respect for the likes of Pitt and Penn State. I have much more respect for a CMU that really doesn't focus on basketball or football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 07:45 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
I agree with the prior two posts, should college be a country club? Especially if they are taking my tax dollars.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
If athletics ever had a useful role in higher ed, that was a far-off distant time of gentlemen scholars in blazers and straw boaters singing the college fight-song. Now it's a shady business sheltering under the moral aegis of education. If Corbett wanted really useful reform in public higher ed in PA, he could do worse than require the state and state-related schools to abolish their athletic departments in return for state support.

But athletic departments are by no means the only source of waste in universities. Bureaucratic feather-bedding and empire-building is rife and the admissions game has been used to justify some really excessive spending on student amenities. Teaching and research, the proper functions of universities, always end up at the back of the queue.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times
Don't blame the universities, blame American culture. When colleges win championships, they get huge increases in applications which benefits them academically.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:40 AM

94 posts, read 134,306 times
PSU's athletic department is one of the few in the country that is self funding. They make enough in donations and revenue from football and basketball to cover expenses. Getting rid of athletics wouldn't do anything to address the budget issues, but would manage to **** off a large section of the alumni base, some of which likely donate to the academic side of the university as well.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
That is the best type of "politician," the one who doesn't care about re-election and will do what is necessary to make the hard decisions (to get the budget in line) and stay true to his word.
I agree that Corbett is trying to follow what he said, particular to his large-money donors. But otherwise, Corbett is all about AVOIDING hard decisions--he is trying to push every problem he can off onto someone else.

So while he gets points for honesty, he still gets a failing grade on substance.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
So how long will it be before the teachers unions are completely crushed and teachers are all hired by large corporations? Think we'll see it in our lifetime? That seems to be one of the main goals of these budget cuts.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:43 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
So how long will it be before the teachers unions are completely crushed and teachers are all hired by large corporations? Think we'll see it in our lifetime? That seems to be one of the main goals of these budget cuts.
Yes. I know it is April Fools Day but this is a real ad.

Become a Teacher in Pittsburgh. job in Pittsburgh, PA

This is not a joke here are the job requirements:

"Job Requirements
Eligibility Requirements:
-Must not have (or be earning) a BA or MA in an education program that leads to certification.
-Must not have (or be earning) teaching certification in any state.
-Must not be enrolled in or have completed another alternate route certification program.
-Must not currently work as a full-time teacher for Pittsburgh Public Schools.

- Long-term substitutes and paraprofessionals are still eligible for the program.
-Must be able to pass background investigation.
-Must meet subject area requirements for Pennsylvania.
No experience required
Bachelors degree preferred
Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required"

Can't make this stuff up.

Last edited by Sideblinded; 04-01-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post

This is not a joke here are the job requirements:

"Job Requirements
Eligibility Requirements:
-Must not have (or be earning) a BA or MA in an education program that leads to certification.
-Must not have (or be earning) teaching certification in any state.
-Must not be enrolled in or have completed another alternate route certification program.
-Must not currently work as a full-time teacher for Pittsburgh Public Schools.

- Long-term substitutes and paraprofessionals are still eligible for the program.
-Must be able to pass background investigation.
-Must meet subject area requirements for Pennsylvania.
No experience required
Bachelors degree preferred
Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
Can't make this stuff up.
Did you actually read the ad, or just the requirements section? If so, what is your issue with it?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:50 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,717 times
Kids can be taught & bought by Bill Gates. No degree required, education degree actually shunned! Applicants just agree with their ideology.

I prefer educated non robot teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh