Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:02 PM

6 posts, read 11,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Pittsburgh's real estate is cheaper for homeownership, not owning. Renting is rather expensive here.

A walking neighborhood requirement makes it more difficult to match top schools with that budget for a 3 bedroom house.

Look into Oakmont. Oakmont has a walking neighborhood. It's a cute place with a vibrant shopping area.

If you were willing to live in a suburban neighborhood (or even a city neighborhood like Regent Square), you'd have more options in your price range.
We're cautious about buying before we have a chance to get to know the areas of Pittsburgh which is why we are choosing to rent. Actually found 3 duplexes in our price range in Squirrel Hill, but will check out Oakmont. You seem very knowledgeable -- any chance you can provide input on the following schools: Pittsburgh Allerdice HS and Colfax Middle School which I believe are the feeder schools for Regent Square and Squirrel Hill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzjai View Post
Welcome to Pittsburgh.. We moved from Los Angeles to Pittsburgh 4 years back (still missing LA..). Pittsburgh is a nice place too..

As others suggested, there are better school districts and community than Brentwood (too suburb). If you want to travel to Pitt & have good school district I think North Allegheny would be more appropriate. There are public transportations and school bus comes near the house even if its less than a mile. Check schooldigger & greatschools website for school ratings.

I'm a subscriber to greatschools which has helped a lot. still miss L.A.? I'll miss family and friends, but don't think I'll miss the city. Do you have school aged kids? How did you acclimate to living in Pittsburgh?

Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why is it a problem for you that the schools are on opposite sides of the city?

If they attend different schools, it's not a problem because you won't need to drive them to school.

I wouldn't chose Brentwood but you could do worse.

Absolutely cross McKees Rocks off yor list. Only move to Mt. Washington if you plan for your children to attend the magnet schools they've gotten into. As I said, I wouldn't chose Brentwood, but you could do worse.

What's your definition of good schools? Since California's school system is terrible, our above-average schools are probably supeior to the schools they currently attend---even private Catholic.

What's your budget for rent? And how big of a house are you wanting to rent? We really need to know before we can recommend appropriate areas.
I guess mindset is that we have to drive them -- we drive our kids everywhere in Los Angeles.

Based from what I've read about the Pittsburgh Public School - I agree that it's better than the majority of public schools in CA. The Catholic school both my children attended since preschool is average at best but we stayed because of our parish and the sense of community (rare in Los Angeles), but have since pulled them out and luckily got them into a very good LAUSD K-8 school. Average school tuition for Catholic schools here is $10K per year for elementary/middle school and $15K for high school with some not offering sibling discount.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfuljoy View Post
I guess mindset is that we have to drive them -- we drive our kids everywhere in Los Angeles.
School districts provide students with bus service in this region with the exception of Mt. Lebanon.

Quote:
Based from what I've read about the Pittsburgh Public School - I agree that it's better than the majority of public schools in CA.
I wasn' tjust talking about Pittsburgh Public Schools. I was talking about many of our area school districts are better than the majority of public schools in CA.

Quote:
The Catholic school both my children attended since preschool is average at best but we stayed because of our parish and the sense of community (rare in Los Angeles), but have since pulled them out and luckily got them into a very good LAUSD K-8 school. Average school tuition for Catholic schools here is $10K per year for elementary/middle school and $15K for high school with some not offering sibling discount.
Tuition at Catholic schools for K-8 are very reasonable and there are discounts for additional siblings. It's the Catholic high schools that are more expensive here but not as expensive as %15k. Since your children are almost past the K-8 years, it's a good idea to rule out private education if you're tired of paying tuition.

Quote:
Actually found 3 duplexes in our price range in Squirrel Hill, but will check out Oakmont....any chance you can provide input on the following schools: Pittsburgh Allerdice HS and Colfax Middle School which I believe are the feeder schools for Regent Square and Squirrel Hill?
These schools are considered good schools in the Pittsburgh School District. The population is diverse but you should be used to that coming from California. I know doctors who sent their childrne to Alderdice. Squirrel Hill is a nice area. It's a good place to start out with a rental if you know that you like an urban environment better than a suburban development.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:

Based from what I've read about the Pittsburgh Public School - I agree that it's better than the majority of public schools in CA. The Catholic school both my children attended since preschool is average at best but we stayed because of our parish and the sense of community (rare in Los Angeles), but have since pulled them out and luckily got them into a very good LAUSD K-8 school. Average school tuition for Catholic schools here is $10K per year for elementary/middle school and $15K for high school with some not offering sibling discount.

Most Catholic grade schools are around $3,500 I think and about $8,000-$7,500 for high schools.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 PM

19 posts, read 74,787 times
DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER MCKEES ROCKS!!!!!! Terrible crime and drugs... I wouldn't live there if I were to get paid!!!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:03 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,381,103 times
Oh come on TERRIBLE??? You must be confused with McKeesport!!! McKees Rocks has a safe, more well kept working class part and Then a grimmy looking bad part... Even if you lived in the bad part as long as you stay away from gang life you'll be fine... Besides, it's not even the worst part of the Westside! Sheradan & Fairywood have notably more problems... Although, I guees you could claim that McKees Rocks should be ranked the lowest on the OP's list. Hey you could diffenatly pay me to live there(=

Last edited by Uptown kid; 04-10-2011 at 09:29 PM..

Old 04-10-2011, 09:12 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JahshBless View Post
DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER MCKEES ROCKS!!!!!! Terrible crime and drugs... I wouldn't live there if I were to get paid!!!
I guess that's why you want to move from this "hell hole" and "dreary" city.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 PM

781 posts, read 1,620,061 times
PPS High school kids take public transportation, so that is an issue. Alderdice Colfax or Alderdice Sterret might be options for you to look into. ( Both in Squirrel Hill)

There use to be a map online, and an address look up on the PPS site. I am unsure if it still online. There is a very small sliver of Regent Square that feeds into PPS. That is in the Alderdice, Sterret & Minadeo feeder pattern.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:47 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,500 times
Good luck on CAPA -- that's where I went and it was a wonderful experience. I genuinely looked forward to going to school each day, and easily got an education that rivaled that of my suburban peers in undergrad and law school.

If you want public transit and walkable, safe neighborhood, Squirrel Hill is about as good as you can do. Aspinwall and/or Oakmont are nice, but they don't have the same amenities (and Oakmont is relatively far from the city). I wouldn't really call Brentwood walkable at all.

In terms of schools -- as someone mentioned above, living in Squirrel Hill would presumably mean that your kids could automatically attend Allderdice, which is a great school. If you can assure that they'll be in one of the advanced programs there (CAS or PSP), I would choose Allderdice over the Brashear "magnet" (which I also attended for one year in 9th grade), which was a total joke in my experience.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh