Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:08 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
In Vietnam, it was Eddie.

-- Posted with TapaTalk
Leave it to Beaver wasn't on in Vietnam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 09:00 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Leave it to Beaver wasn't on in Vietnam.
Probably because Eddie got killed there.

-- Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-01-2014, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Was watching this on Youtube last night. Made me so nostalgic for my childhood in W. PA and all the great programming we had. Why does it seem like there was more to watch back then with a finite amount of channels than there is today with hundreds?

I grew up north of Pittsburgh, in Lawrence County. Watched Ricki and Copper and told the jokes just about everywhere I went. Remember Paul Shannon (and Joe Negri as a sub), Don Riggs and Willie th' Duck on Saturdays. The Sunday movies. Marie Torree (sp) and Bill Burns on KDKA news. Bob Kudzma the weather man. it's so sad that none of those old shows exist because they had to reuse the tape.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,662 times
What was the theme song from Ed and Wendy talk show?

Old 01-08-2015, 08:42 AM

831 posts, read 878,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
My cousin was on Romper Room once when we were kids. I was so jealous.
I was actually a Romper Room dropout. All I remember is that there came a point when everyone was going to jump rope, and I refused on the grounds that "Jumping rope is for girls", so I went and sat over by myself. A relative also remembers that I was picked to hand out the cookies and that I broke them off and gave everyone a piece of one while trying to keep the rest for myself. I don't remember that part. But I do remember not ever wanting to go back, so I only lasted one day.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
I was actually a Romper Room dropout. All I remember is that there came a point when everyone was going to jump rope, and I refused on the grounds that "Jumping rope is for girls", so I went and sat over by myself. A relative also remembers that I was picked to hand out the cookies and that I broke them off and gave everyone a piece of one while trying to keep the rest for myself. I don't remember that part. But I do remember not ever wanting to go back, so I only lasted one day.
thats funny! where was the studio?

You had better watch yourself - one of the Romper Room girls will track you down and accuse you of discrimination because you WOULDN'T jump rope with the females. What is the statute of limitation on that.....

Old 01-08-2015, 11:09 AM

831 posts, read 878,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
thats funny! where was the studio?
I don't remember, I was really young, though if I had to guess I'd say probably at the Channel 4 studios in Forest Hills.

Quote:
You had better watch yourself - one of the Romper Room girls will track you down and accuse you of discrimination because you WOULDN'T jump rope with the females. What is the statute of limitation on that.....
I ain't no sissy!

Old 01-08-2015, 05:08 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
A brief glimpse into the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaviKaCSqSM

What I remember of WTAE was that for some reason, reception was not so good. Back in the days of having the magic touch when positioning the rabbit ears. I also recall a brief run of an independent station channel 53 or 58 or something like that. Briefly justifying that second UHF dial on every TV set.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:36 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Agreed, for whatever reason WTAE had a bad signal. As to the UHF, there were two, 53 and 22. WooHoo, along with 2, 4, 11, and 13, there was always something on! All crap of course, just like today with 500 channels.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:48 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
Quote:
Agreed, for whatever reason WTAE had a bad signal.
I always thought it was because of where we were, relative to their transmitter. I guess it was bad for everybody.

Quote:
....there was always something on! All crap of course, just like today with 500
channels.

Except for all night long, when there was nothing at all.

And they always signed off with the National Anthem, preceded by:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoL-KCFbIpA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh